The situation is officially rediculous...

The Goat

One of the things I've admired most about the Sabres and their fans, but not their coach mind you, is their quiet character in the face of great adversity.

With or without McKee, tonight's game will be another nail-biter.

Good luck to both sides and here's hoping the Sabres don't catch the bubonic plague on the way to the rink tonight.

The Goat

One of the things I've admired most about the Sabres and their fans, but not their coach mind you, is their quiet character in the face of great adversity.

Good luck to both sides and here's hoping the Sabres don't catch the bubonic plague on the way to the rink tonight.

The Goat

Actually, I'm glad Ruff is being vocal right now, it takes the pressure off the team and shows how passionite he is about this team. Also if you read what he says, not much isn't true, but the other coaches hate it so its getting under their skins and affecting them. THe man made Captain Kangaroo storm out of a press conference for FS

The injury bug defies imagination and probably has reached historic proportions. I would think no team has been more decimated at the peak of their success than the Sabres throughout history. All my previous discussions on setting up team chemistry for Games 6 and 7 are now out the window. We are back to square one. Can you imagine Jillson playing 20+ minutes tonight. Oh the horror.

I go back and forth on this. I can see an OT game (might be wishful thinking) and I can see a Carolina blowout ala Game 4. I don't see a Buffalo blowout.

Here's to hoping that Game 100 is the most memorable game in Sabres history... That is until Game 104.

Can you imagine Jillson playing 20+ minutes tonight. Oh the horror.

I'm guessing Jilson will get more like 10 minutes. Lindy already said Campbell and Lydman were going to clock 30. Fitzpatrick and Janik will probably get 20. That leaves 10 for Jilson and Paetsch. Maybe Paetsch shocks the heck out of everyone tonight. He had 50 points for the Amerks, maybe he can contribute a little on offense. If Paetsch/Jilson can miraculously go +/-0, I'd be very happy.

You never know, Pominville might get stuck on D, and they'll dress Novotny.

I believe Ruff mentioned Paetsch as McKees replacement when he announced that McKee will not play tonight

Game 7 of the ECF and it will be his first career NHL game, If thats not the story line to a miracle movie, I don't know what is

I believe Ruff mentioned Paetsch as McKees replacement when he announced that McKee will not play tonight

Game 7 of the ECF and it will be his first career NHL game, If thats not the story line to a miracle movie, I don't know what is

Ah right, I missed that.

Oh well, if ever there was a game nobody expeted them to win, I'd think this is it.

The question is, how much do The Canes expect to win?

'Canes will come out like Buffalo did Tues night. Miller has to not allow an early goal and the team in general can't take any penalties unless it's to stop a sure goal. Even with McKee, their PP is deadly especially on home ice. I think 5 on 5 we can hang but if we're chasing all night and get called for lazy penalties then it's over.

My honest thinking is that this game is either going to be a 5-1 game for the Hurricanes where the house of cards finally comes toppling down or a 2-1 ultra-gutty effort by this team.

I feel the same way.

Realistically, I see no chance whatsoever for a Buffalo blowout.

I will be interested to see how the Canes respond to 48 hours of trash talk from Lindy Ruff in combination with this being the most pressure-packed game they have played all year. They have plenty of motivation and the healthier team and they should win.

But if Buffalo jumps out to one of their patented early leads and then keeps it close anything can happen.

The Goat

Oh why, oh why, can we not just put up a game like we did to close out the Flyers series? Just once I would like the Hockey Gods to point to our side of the ice and say its your turn for a cakewalk game in this series.

The Sabres have to pull off their own version of "shock and awe" similar to the Flyers game you mentioned. Carolina is going to be like a shark going in for the kill, and if we don't stand up and punch them squarely in the nose it could get ugly. I think Buffalo needs 4-5 goals in the first two periods while holding Carolina to 0-1. Hopefully our boys enter that zone tonight where things are happening in slow motion all around them and it just seems that much easier.

The Sabres have to pull off their own version of "shock and awe" similar to the Flyers game you mentioned. Carolina is going to be like a shark going in for the kill, and if we don't stand up and punch them squarely in the nose it could get ugly. I think Buffalo needs 4-5 goals in the first two periods while holding Carolina to 0-1. Hopefully our boys enter that zone tonight where things are happening in slow motion all around them and it just seems that much easier.

dude i hope you are right, but i just cannot see it happening. it will be 2-1 or bust.

...or maybe 6-5? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing Jilson will get more like 10 minutes. Lindy already said Campbell and Lydman were going to clock 30. Fitzpatrick and Janik will probably get 20. That leaves 10 for Jilson and Paetsch. Maybe Paetsch shocks the heck out of everyone tonight. He had 50 points for the Amerks, maybe he can contribute a little on offense. If Paetsch/Jilson can miraculously go +/-0, I'd be very happy.

And Pominville, Kotalik, and Briere who have all taken turns on the point on the pp.

Forcing the Canes to take penalties is one other good thing that can happen if Buffalo forechecks like banshees.

For all that are too young to remember, Ruff will always be a saint with me.

He didn't take sh*t from Billy Smith as rookie and he doesn't take sh*t today as a coach.

Many see him as coming off as complaing... That is not it, he has always been known to fight fire with fire, that is all.

He is not cheap or dirty... Just doesn't put up with the crap and calls it like it is.

If somebody gets under his skin, he is effective in turning it around. What you see with Carolina is just that.

One way to handle a bully is to bully them back... Ruff has always done that.

As a young defenseman being called up to the NHL and showing his grit in the playoffs v. the Islanders that year (1979), I feel he can set the stage for these young defensemen that are being called up to get the job done this playoff season!

The stage is set.

Give 'em hell Lindy!

I feel the same way.

Realistically, I see no chance whatsoever for a Buffalo blowout.

I will be interested to see how the Canes respond to 48 hours of trash talk from Lindy Ruff in combination with this being the most pressure-packed game they have played all year. They have plenty of motivation and the healthier team and they should win.

But if Buffalo jumps out to one of their patented early leads and then keeps it close anything can happen.

The Goat

Weren't the 'Canes playing Buffalo at the end of the season and lost 4-0 with Biron in goal? That game was for FIRST place in the conference... They would have bested Ottawa for conference lead and home ice.

Seems like that was a pretty big game to them? And they came out flat...

The Goat

While we're all honored that you consider Sabres fans, but not the Sabres' coach, to be stoic in the face of adversity or whatever the hell it is you're saying, I'll give you a little something to think about....

Lindy Ruff is coaching his butt off. The reason he's making all of those comments is to take the focus (and the subsequent pressure) off of his young team. After watching half of our AHL defensive corps hold Carolina to low scoring games it should be obvious to any hockey fan that he just might know what he's doing. Sorry if he's ruffled your delicate sensibilities along the way.

If you're unable to acknowledge what Ruff has done, I'm not sure I care to hear your false platitudes. And even if you do, I'm still not sure I care to hear them.

While we're all honored that you consider Sabres fans, but not the Sabres' coach, to be stoic in the face of adversity or whatever the hell it is you're saying, I'll give you a little something to think about....

Lindy Ruff is coaching his butt off. The reason he's making all of those comments is to take the focus (and the subsequent pressure) off of his young team. After watching half of our AHL defensive corps hold Carolina to low scoring games it should be obvious to any hockey fan that he just might know what he's doing. Sorry if he's ruffled your delicate sensibilities along the way.

If you're unable to acknowledge what Ruff has done, I'm not sure I care to hear your false platitudes. And even if you do, I'm still not sure I care to hear them.

Exactly Chris (if I may call you by your first name)...

In my book he is already coach of the year... Winning today seals it even with the Laviolette lovers.

False platitudes?

Ruffled my sensibilities?

Uhhh...no.

My platitudes, as you called them, may not have been original but they were sincere, sorry they don't measure up to your standards of originality Campy.

Well, Mr. Ruff did a masterful job of taking the focus off his young team but, in the process he gave the Canes more billboard materia than any amount of talking by his players could have.

The Canes didn't need the extra motivation but, as you can tell from Brind'Amour's post game comments, Ruff's big mouth certainly helped prod them on.

The Goat

False platitudes?

Ruffled my sensibilities?

Uhhh...no.

My platitudes, as you called them, may not have been original but they were sincere, sorry they don't measure up to your standards of originality Campy.

Well, Mr. Ruff did a masterful job of taking the focus off his young team but, in the process he gave the Canes more billboard materia than any amount of talking by his players could have.

The Canes didn't need the extra motivation but, as you can tell from Brind'Amour's post game comments, Ruff's big mouth certainly helped prod them on.

The Goat

Dude you are insane ... if you think anything that Ruff said mattered to the Canes after watching that game, you are not even giving them the credit they deserve. They have a lot of guts too, and if you think they needed an opposing coach to fire them up for this game obviously you don't think very much of them to begin with. And here you are bitching on a Sabres board 15 minutes after your team won a game 7. You do not get it. It may be a big "what if" for us forever, but that is not the Canes fault ... they can only play the team in front of them and they got it done. And here you are giving the credit to the Buffalo coach. Makes a lot of sense.

Dude you are insane ... if you think anything that Ruff said mattered to the Canes after watching that game, you are not even giving them the credit they deserve. They have a lot of guts too, and if you think they needed an opposing coach to fire them up for this game obviously you don't think very much of them to begin with. And here you are bitching on a Sabres board 15 minutes after your team won a game 7. You do not get it. It may be a big "what if" for us forever, but that is not the Canes fault ... they can only play the team in front of them and they got it done. And here you are giving the credit to the Buffalo coach. Makes a lot of sense.

Alrighty then...

You clearly didn't read the previous post and just want to vent.

Vent away.

The Canes worked for everything they got, I am well aware of that.

If you listened to Brind'Amour's post game comments in which he said something to the affect that "It's a shame that there coach talks so much because it distracts from what a great team the Sabres have."

I was merely reiterating that point - Ruff's talking (or diverting the focus away from his players as many of you call it) did not help his team's cause.

The Goat

well said...and the fact that this even went to game 7 should give all carolina fans some misgivings about laviollette.

go edmonton.

well said...and the fact that this even went to game 7 should give all carolina fans some misgivings about laviollette.

go edmonton.

go edmonton.

Misgivings about Laviolette?

Umm...no.

I feel pretty good about his coaching decisions throughout the series.

The Goat

Archived