Enlighten me please

wjag

In last night's Oiler's game the refs were calling everything. There was a moment in the game when the Oilers had a 5 on 3 advantage and a delayed penalty call. Turns out they scored so it wasn't 5 on 2. Has anyone ever seen a 5 on 2 Powerplay and if so where?

In last night's Oiler's game the refs were calling everything. There was a moment in the game when the Oilers had a 5 on 3 advantage and a delayed penalty call. Turns out they scored so it wasn't 5 on 2. Has anyone ever seen a 5 on 2 Powerplay and if so where?

I don't think the league allows a 5-2, I think they just keep putting the players in the box and allow 3 players plus a goalie on the ice all the time, but I could be wrong

Not allowed by rules. A team must have three skaters as a minimum. In regular season play, an overtime powerplay resulting in a 4-3 advantage, changes to a 5-3 if the defending team gets a second penalty. Had the delayed call been whistled last night, the start of that penalty time would coincide with the end of the first penalty.

Would that have been a 6 on 3 with a delayed penalty on a 5 on 3?.... That being, the goalie is pulled on the delayed call and the extra attacker is in?

Now... I have another question... On Buffalo's delayed penalty play (called on Carolina) in game 3... Buffalo kept possession, pulled Miller and the extra attacker was in on the play... Seemed to go on forever with Carolina never touching the puck... I don't recall the whistle blowing and the play stopping with the guy going to the box... Well, anyway Buffalo scores... If I reacall that would have been a 6 on 4??? That was the Roy play, first goal... I don't reacall a face-off, but I remember seeing a clock with about 1:28 left in the penalty...

Can anybody tell me if there was a whistle I missed before that goal?

The question really is: Do they keep play resuming and start the penalty after a certain period of time one team is on the "delay" or 6 on 4??

Confusing??? I just don't recall a whistle on that call and subsequent goal (again, Buffalo's first in game 3... Just before the 1st intermission).

???

Would that have been a 6 on 3 with a delayed penalty on a 5 on 3?.... That being, the goalie is pulled on the delayed call and the extra attacker is in?

Now... I have another question... On Buffalo's delayed penalty play (called on Carolina) in game 3... Buffalo kept possession, pulled Miller and the extra attacker was in on the play... Seemed to go on forever with Carolina never touching the puck... I don't recall the whistle blowing and the play stopping with the guy going to the box... Well, anyway Buffalo scores... If I reacall that would have been a 6 on 4??? That was the Roy play, first goal... I don't reacall a face-off, but I remember seeing a clock with about 1:28 left in the penalty...

Can anybody tell me if there was a whistle I missed before that goal?

The question really is: Do they keep play resuming and start the penalty after a certain period of time one team is on the "delay" or 6 on 4??

Confusing??? I just don't recall a whistle on that call and subsequent goal (again, Buffalo's first in game 3... Just before the 1st intermission).

???

I don't understand your question. If you are asking what happens on a delayed penalty call when you are on a 5-4 power play, and you pull your goalie, the first penalty ticks off while you are skating 6-4. When I whistle finally blows, the second penalty begins for a full two minutes. If the Sabres score while on a 6-4 delayed penalty, the first penalty ends, and the second penalty begins after the goal, resulting in another full 2-minute 5-on-4 power play.

PTR

I don't understand your question. If you are asking what happens on a delayed penalty call when you are on a 5-4 power play, and you pull your goalie, the first penalty ticks off while you are skating 6-4. When I whistle finally blows, the second penalty begins for a full two minutes. If the Sabres score while on a 6-4 delayed penalty, the first penalty ends, and the second penalty begins after the goal, resulting in another full 2-minute 5-on-4 power play.

PTR

Let me clarify... I am not sure what happened on Buffalo's first goal...

Wasn't it even strength and then a delayed call was signaled, then Buffalo scored?

Or am I forgetting the situation?

I thought it went, delayed call Carolina... Buffalo kept possession, doing so enabled pulling Ryan Miller... Going 6 on 5... Buffalo cycled it around and kept the play going and then bam... After about 30-40 seconds or so, scored... I never heard a whistle or saw a face off which would have essentially made it a "honest" 5-4 power play? During it (which I am assuming was the continued play) I noticed that the PP clock went down to 1:28 or so... I thought what they did was keep play going and considered that the powerplay after a certain period of time during the 6-4? It didn't seem fair to me at first... But, since they scored... I was cool with it.

I was gonna mention and asked how that situation transpired, but events worked out for BFLO!

Am I totally missing what happened on that play?

I am pretty sure if you score on a delayed penalty, the guy called doesnt go to the box. So if you score on a delayed penalty you dont get the power play. A delayed penalty could concievably go on forever, it wont stop until the other team touches the puck. At that point you recieve a two minute power play, regardless of how long you had the delayed penalty time.

When a team is already short handed the same logic applies. So the first penalty continues to tick, and the power play team now has a 6-4. If the pp team scores I think the first guy stays in the box and the first pp continues, and the second penalty doesnt happen. This would explain why we recieved a 1:28 second power play, that was just the time left on the first pp after we scored.

I could be wrong about this, but this has always been my understanding of how the delayed penalty situations work. If I am wrong someone please enlighten me.

I am pretty sure if you score on a delayed penalty, the guy called doesnt go to the box. So if you score on a delayed penalty you dont get the power play. A delayed penalty could concievably go on forever, it wont stop until the other team touches the puck. At that point you recieve a two minute power play, regardless of how long you had the delayed penalty time.

When a team is already short handed the same logic applies. So the first penalty continues to tick, and the power play team now has a 6-4. If the pp team scores I think the first guy stays in the box and the first pp continues, and the second penalty doesnt happen. This would explain why we recieved a 1:28 second power play, that was just the time left on the first pp after we scored.

I could be wrong about this, but this has always been my understanding of how the delayed penalty situations work. If I am wrong someone please enlighten me.

And you are wrong. If a team scored on a delayed penalty while already on the power play, the guy in the box gets out and the new penalty is called, resulting in another 2 minute power play.

The one interesting situation that has never come up from this rule is what if that delayed penalty called for a penalty shot? Is the team awarded a penalty shot even though they just scored?

And you are wrong. If a team scored on a delayed penalty while already on the power play, the guy in the box gets out and the new penalty is called, resulting in another 2 minute power play.

The one interesting situation that has never come up from this rule is what if that delayed penalty called for a penalty shot? Is the team awarded a penalty shot even though they just scored?

Just read the rule book on NHL.co and you are right. Thanks for clarifying.

If when a Team is "short-handed" by reason of one or more minor or bench minor penalties, the Referee signals a further minor penalty or penalties against the "short-handed" Team and a goal is scored by the non-offending side before the whistle is blown, then the goal shall be allowed. The penalty or penalties signaled shall be assessed and the first of the minor penalties already being served shall automatically terminate under Rule 26© -- Minor Penalties. Major and match penalties shall be imposed in the normal manner regardless of whether or not a goal is scored.

No, my understanding is if you get hauled down on a breakaway and a delayed penalty shot is called and your goal goes in... Then no penalty shot.

Same thing if it is a two person breakway (wouldn't that be nice... :D :D )... The second it touches the opposing team (and doesn't go in) the play stops.

5-on-3 the greatest advantage you can have unless you pull your goalie and make it 6-3.

If you have a power play and your opponent takes another penalty and you score before they touch the puck: the guy in the box has his penalty expired and the new penalty is assessed so you get another 2 minutes.

However, if it's 5-on-5 and you score on a delay penalty call, you don't get the extra power play.

Also, another interesting rule which I've never seen happen: If there is less than two minutes left in a game, you're two men down and you take another deliberate penalty. The referee can award a penalty shot.

Also,

If you are on a 5-3 already, and the other team takes yet another penalty, and you don't score before they touch the puck, the original 5-3 continues once play starts but the 3rd penalty does not kick in until the first penalty ends.

whew.

Which means the first guy stays in the box even after his penatly expires. He can only go on the ice once the 2nd penalty ends, or after a whistle, then he can go to the bench.

Archived