All right. Who's the a#$^$#!e that OK'd this?

KansasPat

In the first period, a message on the scoreboard read: "The Carolina Hurricanes have won as many Super Bowls as the Buffalo Bills.

And this is a city that might've had a Super Bowl had Kasay not #%^$#!ed up as "badly" as the history books say Norwood did. If Kasay doesn't kick the ball out of bounds after Carolina's last TD, the Pats probably don't get close enough for Vinatieri.

As far as I'm concerned, Norwood's off the hook if you're counting Super Bowl screwups by a kicker. STFU already, weak-ass hillbillies. Those losses were over a decade ago.

In the first period, a message on the scoreboard read: "The Carolina Hurricanes have won as many Super Bowls as the Buffalo Bills.

And this is a city that might've had a Super Bowl had Kasay not #%^$#!ed up as "badly" as the history books say Norwood did. If Kasay doesn't kick the ball out of bounds after Carolina's last TD, the Pats probably don't get close enough for Vinatieri.

As far as I'm concerned, Norwood's off the hook if you're counting Super Bowl screwups by a kicker. STFU already, weak-ass hillbillies. Those losses were over a decade ago.

Good point. Norwood missed the field goal... Kasay missed the field.

See that is the thing... IMO, it is kinda funny.

What I don't get is that the 'Canes and their fans were taking umbrage to the "classless" Buffalo fans that were at game 1 and to all the criticism that they can't sell out... Point taken... There are some real low-life Buffalo fans that give everybody a bad name...

I also understand the 'Canes fans' displeasure with their management... Even know they should have ponied up the money and took it up with management later...

But, now I am to guess that management sanctioned this jab at the fans of Buffalo? Somebody high up had to? Like I said funny... Yet, it shows how ignorant the "powers that be" are in Carolina... You can excuse the idiot fan or case where the unruly Buffalo fan gets out of hand.

What does this accomplish, especially coming from the top?

I am starting to feel very sorry for the Hurricanes and their fans because stuff like this is actually sanctioned by THE PEOPLE IN CONTROL.

I take the 'Canes management will not admit to okaying this... They will say it was a rogue scoreboard operator? Right?

It was all in good humor though... It is just directly coming from the organization, not a third party person or media source.

I would be very ashamed if Tom Golisano sanctions something like this in return... Now if the Buffalo media wants to fire back fine... All in good humor!

Sounds like an unprofessional punk ass that was weally weally sad about his wittle team losing the first game.

See, that is the thing I explained above... You'd expect this from a third source... Not the actual club management.

The club management is expected to be professional... Very sad when we hold higher standards for the drunk NHL fan (Sabre/'Cane... Etc..., so be it) then something like this happens... Doesn't exactly set a "good example" by the powers that be in Carolina and with the Hurricanes ownership.

Again... The Jumbotron is not the proper forum (there are other ways) by the controlling interests.

I guess we really got under their skin taking game one... It even affected the "money men."

:lol: :lol:

Your point Being??

Sabres play in the City of Buffalo

Bills play in Orchard Park

Both are Called the Buffalo Bills/Sabres, just like they are called the Carolina Panthers/Huricanes

Just a point of information:

Charlotte is to Raleigh as New York City is to Buffalo. They are completely different places, with completely different attitudes. I have lived in NC for 24 years, have visited every part of the state, and have never been to Charlotte.

the canes do that kind of stuff for all their opponents, not just to go after the sabres. the one i thought was really funny was the one that said 78.3% of the people there from buffalo would buy a house in cary before they left.

Now see, that is funny. Hopefully the junior reporter that does the NEXT bash Buffalo / Buffalo fans / WNY / Sabres article took notes.

We know SOMEONE will do another one. All I ask is, at least do it well.

Just curious- Do football fans in Raleigh support the Panthers or do they support a different team? From a geographic standpoint, the Panthers seem closest but what do I know? The alternatives would seem to be the Panthers, Falcons, or Redskins unless, of course, you are like me (a Buffalo transplant living in N.VA B-) ).

If it is the Panthers, I could see apuszczalowski's point.

Just curious- Do football fans in Raleigh support the Panthers or do they support a different team? From a geographic standpoint, the Panthers seem closest but what do I know? The alternatives would seem to be the Panthers, Falcons, or Redskins unless, of course, you are like me (a Buffalo transplant living in N.VA B-) ).

If it is the Panthers, I could see apuszczalowski's point.

since there are so few home games a lot of people are willing to make the 3 hour drive to charlotte. there's even more people who have season tickets in greensboro/winston-salem, as it's only about an hour and 15 minutes away. hell, a few of the panthers players even live in the greensboro/winston-salem area.

the canes do that kind of stuff for all their opponents, not just to go after the sabres. the one i thought was really funny was the one that said 78.3% of the people there from buffalo would buy a house in cary before they left.

Thanks for posting this. They've done it for every game this season. Sometimes they are funnier than others - but they are so over the top, I can't believe anyone takes them seriously or chooses to be offended.

It's no different that arenas play 'skits' of opposing fans that spill nachos all over them or look stupid wearing their jerseys or find an opposing fan in the crowd and plant a "LOSER" graphic under them.

Thanks for posting this. They've done it for every game this season. Sometimes they are funnier than others - but they are so over the top, I can't believe anyone takes them seriously or chooses to be offended.

It's no different that arenas play 'skits' of opposing fans that spill nachos all over them or look stupid wearing their jerseys or find an opposing fan in the crowd and plant a "LOSER" graphic under them.

We actually don't do that in Buffalo. At least never at a game I've been to. The closest we get is the "Kiss Cam" focusing on two players from the opposing team. I've never even seen them put it on opposing fans. I've never seen it, which means its not something thats done at every game, but it might happen occasionally.

It's the post season. Emotions are running high. People (on both sides) are seeing very grave slights that 2 months ago would have been laughed or shrugged off (and in 2 weeks or a month will be again).

People on both sides will regain a sense of perspective after their team's run is done (successfully or unsuccessfully). Not that everyone is taking stuff too seriously but enough are (myself included) that we end up with 4 and 5 page threads that have very little to do with the game.

We actually don't do that in Buffalo. At least never at a game I've been to. The closest we get is the "Kiss Cam" focusing on two players from the opposing team. I've never even seen them put it on opposing fans. I've never seen it, which means its not something thats done at every game.

They have done it frequently in the past at the Mmarena. They'd play some cheezy '80's music and show fans in the crowd. Sabretooth would give a thumbs up for Sabres fans. When someone wearing the wrong sweater was shown, for a while Sabretooth would put a Shatanic goat "stamp" over the offending logo and then for a while a buffalo would "stomp" on the person's head and the video would be "crushed" to 1/2 height.

I don't recall them doing that at the games this season. If they did do it they stopped it fairly early in the season.

They also used to show the Nike "Die Maple Leafs Die" commercial during Leafs games. They've got a few others, but Buffalo's rink isn't immune to kidding the other team's faithful. They just do it better than other teams do! :P

Also, the coolest Kiss Cam was when Grosek kissed the top of the helmet of the guy sitting next to him. The look on the guy's face was classic. Grosek was a bum, but at least he had a sense of humor.

Charlotte and Raleigh are about 170 Miles apart

Orchard Park and Buffalo are 15

Actually Raleigh and Charlotte are just under 130 miles apart; it's less than a 2 hour drive and not a whole lot unlike driving from Victor to Orchard Park. And while there are still some old timers in Victor who maintain their pre-Bills allegiances to the Giants, Victor is Bills' Country.

Until Charlotte gets an NHL team and Raleigh gets an NFL team, they are the same fan base. The Bills and Packers created the model for regional marketing -- and regional marketing is why they are called 'Carolina' and not the 'Raleigh' Hurricanes or 'Charlotte' Panthers.

If a person doesn't think that central and southern North Carolinians don't identify themselves as fans of both clubs, he's flat wrong.

PS: GREAT avatar!

Actually Raleigh and Charlotte are just under 130 miles apart; it's less than a 2 hour drive and not a whole lot unlike driving from Victor to Orchard Park. And while there are still some old timers in Victor who maintain their pre-Bills allegiances to the Giants, Victor is Bills' Country.

Until Charlotte gets an NHL team and Raleigh gets an NFL team, they are the same fan base. The Bills and Packers created the model for regional marketing -- and regional marketing is why they are called 'Carolina' and not the 'Raleigh' Hurricanes or 'Charlotte' Panthers.

If a person doesn't think that central and southern North Carolinians don't identify themselves as fans of both clubs, he's flat wrong.

PS: GREAT avatar!

Not that it matters, but you can't get from Raleigh to Charlotte in less than 2 hours. I've made it in 2?, but unless you are doing some serious speeding and have great luck with no traffic thru G'boro or issues with interstate construction, I don't see how you could make it to downtown Charlotte any faster.

Anyway, the NFL and the NHL were both new to their respective cities. There are tons of Panthers fans here in the triangle, surely the predominant team to follow, but plenty of people who came from elsewhere and still pull for their other team.

I'm not sure how many Canes fans exist in Charlotte, you'd have to be a hockey fan to begin with I would imagine.

There is some healthy competition between the 2 cities, so I doubt there are many joining the bandwagon unless they like hockey to begin with. Odds are the hockey fans in C'lotte still follow their old teams because they don't live in the Hurricanes market.

Not that it matters, but you can't get from Raleigh to Charlotte in less than 2 hours. I've made it in 2?, but unless you are doing some serious speeding and have great luck with no traffic thru G'boro or issues with interstate construction, I don't see how you could make it to downtown Charlotte any faster.

BINGO! Truth be told I made that drive about 3 or 4 years ago (had to visit some clients), so it may very well have been a little better than 2 hours. Of course, hitting Greensboro at about 3 AM definitely helped reduce my in-car time! Either way, there's a fairly substantial difference between 128 and 170 miles and that was the gist of my post.

I used to have contact with a firm in Charlotte that specialized in funding the heavy equipment I used to sell. I won't bore you with the details, but the 2 principals of the firm were NC born-and-bred, and were huge hockey fans. They picked up on my accent and after learning I was a hockey fan I couldn't get them to talk business half the time. Granted, they may be the exception and not the norm, but they bought season tickets and both had mentioned that the 'Canes were doing a lot of marketing in Charlotte - especially for their Saturday games.

They have done it frequently in the past at the Mmarena. They'd play some cheezy '80's music and show fans in the crowd. Sabretooth would give a thumbs up for Sabres fans. When someone wearing the wrong sweater was shown, for a while Sabretooth would put a Shatanic goat "stamp" over the offending logo and then for a while a buffalo would "stomp" on the person's head and the video would be "crushed" to 1/2 height.

Ahh, yes. How could I forget about the Sabres logo stamp. Sorry. Anyway, I guess the point is we don't find ways to put down entire cities. I've been to many many Sabres/Leafs games and have never seen "Die Leafs Die" on the board. Of course, I may be repressing my jumbotron memories out of my hatred for the HOW LOUD IS THIS CROWD graphic.

Anyway, the NFL and the NHL were both new to their respective cities. There are tons of Panthers fans here in the triangle, surely the predominant team to follow, but plenty of people who came from elsewhere and still pull for their other team.

I'm not sure how many Canes fans exist in Charlotte, you'd have to be a hockey fan to begin with I would imagine.

There is some healthy competition between the 2 cities, so I doubt there are many joining the bandwagon unless they like hockey to begin with. Odds are the hockey fans in C'lotte still follow their old teams because they don't live in the Hurricanes market.

POINTS TO PONDER:

Drove it Saturday and its at least 3 hours to Raleigh. (Buffalo to Cleveland)

Carolina Hurricanes are hardly mentioned in Charlotte TV or sports radio. I can count on one hand the number of local Canes fans I met in 10 years. The minor league ECHL Charlotte Checkers get more press.

Didn't see any Panthers gear in Raleigh, not much support for a team 3 hours away.

Raleigh people support NC State football/basketball.

Archived