Brad Richards Gets $7.8 million/year Deal!?!

PTS

I'm more interested in seeing who they trade. They have close to $20 million a year locked up in Richards, Lecavalier, and St. Louis (depending on how the contracts are structured). They need a goalie badly, so they need to move either St Louis or Lecavalier. Most people would probably suggest moving St Louis, but Lecavalier would probably net them a better return.

I'm more interested in seeing who they trade. They have close to $20 million a year locked up in Richards, Lecavalier, and St. Louis (depending on how the contracts are structured). They need a goalie badly, so they need to move either St Louis or Lecavalier. Most people would probably suggest moving St Louis, but Lecavalier would probably net them a better return.

For salary cap purposes, it doesn't matter how the contract is structured. The total $'s of the deal are divided equally across the contract years to come up with the salary cap #. So a 4 year contract that paid a guy $2MM in year 1, $4MM in year 2, $6MM in year 3, and $8MM in year 4 would count $5MM against the cap in each season.

I am not certain how the buyout would work in a situation like that if the hypothetical team bought out the last year of the contract. I don't know if the salary cap hit for the next 2 seasons would be based on a $5MM salary or an $8MM. My guess is the cap hit would be based off the $5MM but I don't know that for certain.

Well TB went right up to that 20% rule and used it, didn't they? Crazy.

I am not certain how the buyout would work in a situation like that if the hypothetical team bought out the last year of the contract. I don't know if the salary cap hit for the next 2 seasons would be based on a $5MM salary or an $8MM. My guess is the cap hit would be based off the $5MM but I don't know that for certain.

I don't either - but I remember hearing that lets say someone (not smartly) trades for Tkachuck ...his salary drops to 3.8 from 7.6 so I heard at that point he'd be more attractive as a trade. i.e. at the trade deadline he'd be in the mid 1 million mark for the rest of this season against the cap, but for all of next year he'd only take up mid 3mm's. So I wonder if you take the average if the last year of the contract is highest paid, and the actual if last year is lowest or lower than the average?

Ugh, all new rules - still figuring them all out.

so with the Salary cap at $42 mil. They are going to give one player close to 1/5 of the team money?

Nice move. How many lines will they be skating?

By the looks of it, one!

Seriously, this was a mindless signing. Richards would never have been worth that kind of cash in the old NHL, let alone the new league.

I'm thinking either St. Louis or Vinny are headed out of town real soon.

St. Louis stunk this year though, and considering he's the type of player that should've flourished in the new NHL, I'd say that's cause for alarm for any team looking to pick him up.

They need a goalie bad, so I wonder who's leaving and where.

Hmmmmm, Biron for St. Louis........

Will never happen because Darcy wants everyone to make about the same. For this team to work, you can't have one guy making 4 million more than the next guy.

St. Louis is great, but thanks but no thanks. We're doing pretty good as it is.

Will never happen because Darcy wants everyone to make about the same. For this team to work, you can't have one guy making 4 million more than the next guy.

I am with you on this. I think it is what has worked in Carolina too. I mean, we have a couple of $2-$3mm players, but especially before Recchi and Weight no really big established names save Brind'Amour - and who could argue there? At 3.8mm this year, he is a BARGAIN. It keeps the lockerroom focused on the team chemistry and not the superstardom of any one player.

We have a LOT of UFA's and RFA's this year though - so I hope Rutherford keeps the even keel mindset as much as possible without having to give everything away like it's Christmas.

I am with you on this. I think it is what has worked in Carolina too. I mean, we have a couple of $2-$3mm players, but especially before Recchi and Weight no really big established names save Brind'Amour - and who could argue there? At 3.8mm this year, he is a BARGAIN. It keeps the lockerroom focused on the team chemistry and not the superstardom of any one player.

We have a LOT of UFA's and RFA's this year though - so I hope Rutherford keeps the even keel mindset as much as possible without having to give everything away like it's Christmas.

Canes making more than $2MM are Brind'Amour, Weight, Tverdovski, Hedican, and Recchi. Recchi and Weight are UFA's and I would be shocked if Weight comes back (unless he takes a huge salary cut) and would be surprised if Recchi is back (he simply doesn't really look to me like he fits in on that team, but I don't watch many Canes games so I could be mistaken on that).

UFA defections up front won't hurt too bad as the only 2 other forwards that are UFA's are Craig Adams and Matt Cullen. Cullen didn't even make $700k last year so the Canes will probably be able to keep his services (at a higher price).

The Canes could get hurt very bad on D (which I think is their weak link anyhow) as Kaberle, Wallin, Ward, and Wesley will all be UFA's (and apparently Tverdovski won't (can you say 'buyout')). They will most likely be bringing Johnson up next year, but I don't know that they can expect another Phaneuf, at least in his rookie year.

They will most likely be bringing Johnson up next year, but I don't know that they can expect another Phaneuf, at least in his rookie year.

Everything I've heard about Jack Johnson is that he is very happy at Michigan (always wanted to be there) and he will stay there next year. I wouldn't expect him to jump to the NHL until the 07-08 season.

Canes making more than $2MM are Brind'Amour, Weight, Tverdovski, Hedican, and Recchi. Recchi and Weight are UFA's and I would be shocked if Weight comes back (unless he takes a huge salary cut) and would be surprised if Recchi is back (he simply doesn't really look to me like he fits in on that team, but I don't watch many Canes games so I could be mistaken on that).

Yeah, I don't think Recchi is back on either side. Not for the style of play, and also he hasn't made a move to head that direction family-wise etc. I think it's pretty clear he won't be back there. Though Weighter I don't know. He's worked his A$$ off to fit in, so if he's willing, and we can afford it - I'd like to see him stay.

UFA defections up front won't hurt too bad as the only 2 other forwards that are UFA's are Craig Adams and Matt Cullen. Cullen didn't even make $700k last year so the Canes will probably be able to keep his services (at a higher price).

IMO, we NEED these two guys. Cullen is the obvious fit, but CAds brings a workhorse energy that we need. Of the two - obviously Cullen is the preferred, but I'd make a strong case for CAds.

The Canes could get hurt very bad on D (which I think is their weak link anyhow) as Kaberle, Wallin, Ward, and Wesley will all be UFA's (and apparently Tverdovski won't (can you say 'buyout')). They will most likely be bringing Johnson up next year, but I don't know that they can expect another Phaneuf, at least in his rookie year.

Well, Johnson isn't a guarantee, even after another season in Michigan. Babchuk has busted his rear this year though in practice, and has a heck of a shot. He's been taking feed after feed after feed in practice, and has earned the nickname "killer" for his intensity and fiercesome strength from the point. His problem had been accuracy when we got him from Chicago, and he's really improved in that regard. Wallin looks like he is headed to Europe based on personal family preferences - but Frankie and Ward are KEY. Wesley has been a stalwart, plus he provides a vet leadership so hopefullt we can keep him as well. Tver - hmm, I dunno about how hard the Canes will try there.

Everything I've heard about Jack Johnson is that he is very happy at Michigan (always wanted to be there) and he will stay there next year. I wouldn't expect him to jump to the NHL until the 07-08 season.

Interesting, I've heard some rumors to that effect but assumed that they were similar to the ones about Miller before he left Michigan State. If Johnson does stay at Michigan that will definitely make their D line look even thinner heading into FA.

Interesting, I've heard some rumors to that effect but assumed that they were similar to the ones about Miller before he left Michigan State. If Johnson does stay at Michigan that will definitely make their D line look even thinner heading into FA.

I'm not sure if you can really compare the two players. A few different things are coming to mind that hurt or help your argument:

-age: Miller was 3 years older than Johnson is now when he made the jump

-draft status: Johnson picked 3rd over all, Miller 138th

-the CBA: Miller stood to make more by signing when he did

-Miller was coming off of a Hobey, other than a title, what more did he have to prove?

-Michigan's season wasn't up to their usual level, how does that effect Johnson?

Hey look, I'm rambling now. This is what happens when the college game is mentioned.

Rutherford pulled out all the stops this year heading into the playoffs to get JJ to join the Canes. And when you offer a guy the rookie max, the opportunity to jump right into a veritable SC run that established players like Weight and Recchi are jumping onboard for, and you give the ability to play in a system that doesn't require the pressure of coming in to be a "savior" and you still turn it down, well, JJ has a love for Michigan - and good on him. :D I don't think we'll see him until at the earliest the end of next year, and possibly, if he hasn't won it with Mich - then until after his junior year. It didn't seem to take a lot of consideration for him to turn Rutherford down this year, so I don't think he's close to wanting to give up the experience hes waited for his whole life there.

Bummer for us.

Archived