WGR is getting on my nerves

PASabreFan

Yesterday Mike Schopp and the Bulldog devoted a lot of time to the question of how will it feel when "we" win the Stanley Cup. Today, the next logical step: how will "we" feel when we win the Cup, and America yawns?

Don't these guys have anything intelligent to say about the series? For all their talk about how Buffalo is one of the few places in the United States where people care about the game, they sure are insulting the intelligence of all the hockey fans listening in who like me are hungry for analysis, information and context. Here's an idea. Talk about faceoffs for an hour. Or does only mindless drivel get ratings on WGR?

On a side note, does anyone else feel sorry for Chris Parker? He's smarter and funnier than Mike Schopp, but for some reason he has to be submissive. If those two are a couple, Chris is the henpecked one, the husband who has to sit by and listen to his whiny wife drone on for minutes on end. Seriously... Mike talks for three or four minutes, then Chris chimes in for 10 seconds, and Mike interrupts. Amazing. I feel bad for The Bulldog. I think we know who wears the lucky pants in the marriage.

Since I have not lived in Buffalo for many years, i can't comment on their show ... but Schopp occasionally does the Saturday national show on ESPN radio (they often have local guys do it), and he was better than most ...

I think everyone is getting caught up in the Sabres frenzy, but I still hate when anyone resorts to "we" on the air ... we all do it, but in that profession, you have to condition yourself not to do it ... Rayzor and Jimmy Patrick I can give a pass, they just retired ... but you don't even hear Gare and Lorentz do it.

PA, I agree to a point. I think this has been a tough week for Sabres fans, but a tougher week for WGR. The Sabres weren't even doing much early in the week, we've known our opponent since Sunday, it's not even an exciting opponent (as opposed to if we were playing, say, Toronto or Montreal) and there isn't even any interesting story lines that haven't already been played out.

The injuries on both teams aren't changing...I dunno, I don't fault the guys on WGR too much. I think you have to save some of the analysis until Friday and Saturday.

I think the use of "we," which has crept onto the air only recently, is just an attempt to plug into Sabres fever in the community. We're all in it together... It's not really what I'm looking for in my media coverage. I kind of feel like the Sabres belong to the fans, not the media.

I think the use of "we," which has crept onto the air only recently, is just an attempt to plug into Sabres fever in the community. We're all in it together... It's not really what I'm looking for in my media coverage. I kind of feel like the Sabres belong to the fans, not the media.

Media = Fans with Special Previledges

Media = Fans with Special Previledges

WGR definately fits this special privledge, I feel that these guys are as big of fans as us. If us fans are allowed to use the word we when talking of the sabres, I don't think there is anything wrong with the WGR guys saying we as well.

WGR definately fits this special privledge, I feel that these guys are as big of fans as us. If us fans are allowed to use the word we when talking of the sabres, I don't think there is anything wrong with the WGR guys saying we as well.

I have a minor problem with it, but it is for consistency's sake. D'ohopp (and others as well, but he is the one to make the biggest issue of it) take umbrage at being consisdered shills for the local teams. Yet now that the team is exceeding most people's expectations, it is "WE". I guess it's OK to be a shill when the team is winning. <_<

Does anyone here think that the next time these guys think Darcy should have or shouldn't have signed a particular guy or the next time the Sabres struggle in October or November in a (hopefully distant) season, that it will still be "we"? WE know that it will be "he", "they", or "that guy". I fail to see why when the Sabres do well it is "we" and when they do poorly it is "they", or more accurately why when the Sabres exceed expectations it is permissible to say "we", but when they don't exceed expectations it is not permissible to say that.

It doesn't bother me terribly, but I do think they should at least TRY to be consistent. (Although I can honestly say it doesn't surprise me that D'ohopp ISN'T consistent. (Where'e the :doh: smiley when you need it?))

I fail to see why when the Sabres do well it is "we" and when they do poorly it is "they", or more accurately why when the Sabres exceed expectations it is permissible to say "we", but when they don't exceed expectations it is not permissible to say that.

As a snooty side note to that, I wish this team got as much support all the time from everyone in Buffalo. As someone who has lived and died with every game for years, it's kind of cool to see this kind of support for the team, and kind of frustrating. Just last week when I was in Buffalo for game 4, just driving around I saw more Sabres stuff than I had seen in my entire life. Part of me was saying wow, and the other part was frustrated that when things are going great, all of the sudden everyone loves the team.

Alright, I will get off my high horse! :lol:

WGR has gotten me pumped up all week. Its been a slow news week, so what else is there to talk about? I'd rather hear stories about what we'd do when we won than talk matchups and X's and O's all week long.

PA, u do have it out for Schopp... Maybe your bias is coming through.

Yesterday Mike Schopp and the Bulldog devoted a lot of time to the question of how will it feel when "we" win the Stanley Cup. Today, the next logical step: how will "we" feel when we win the Cup, and America yawns?

Don't these guys have anything intelligent to say about the series? For all their talk about how Buffalo is one of the few places in the United States where people care about the game, they sure are insulting the intelligence of all the hockey fans listening in who like me are hungry for analysis, information and context. Here's an idea. Talk about faceoffs for an hour. Or does only mindless drivel get ratings on WGR?

I listen on my ride home, and I've been shocked the last few days. It's like the Sabres have won already!! What are these morons thinking?

Carolina is a good fvcking team. This is gonna be no picnik

D'ohopp

Love it...I started a thread during last year's football season on TBD about Schopp's attitude toward callers (relating to Bills postgame shows then,) and the Buffalo News even had an article a few days later about how his act was wearing thin.

I used to like Schopp a lot. He struck me as a "tell it like it is" guy, unaffected by the PC-ization going on in this country. Then he just turned rude and arrogant, seemingly at the request of his bosses.

Now they seem to be playing the "Schopp defends the unpopular opinion" card, and it's not quite as bad. At least they give him such bad arguments to defend, he can't be as condecending to the callers who tell him that he's FOS.

At any rate, it's a shame WGR has gone so low-brow recently, but it's all we have at the moment.

I listen on my ride home, and I've been shocked the last few days. It's like the Sabres have won already!! What are these morons thinking?

Carolina is a good fvcking team. This is gonna be no picnik

I'm not superstitious and I'm a pretty cynical pessimist, and even I think the Sabres will win in 5 games. This team has just made me believe, and I can't conceive of their mission being derailed by a Carolina team that may have to play 7 road games.

I don't blame anyone for getting swept up in this ride...Even media guys.

Archived