Is There A Case For Being Patient? "Patience" is not a dirty word

bob_sauve28

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

For me it’s not a “if the core can’t do it without proper support, they aren’t good enough anyways and we shouldn’t have hope” situation. I think that’s being mis-framed. Sometimes you just need a more well-rounded, competently built team. That view of the core you mentioned is more tailored to a scenario where you are merely considering the prospects of *winning a championship* (this is what I meant by mis-framed): the mindset this franchise seemingly can’t get away from. Yes, if the core isn’t good enough, no supporting pieces are going to vault the team to championship contender 

but for some reason the goal can never just be to scratch and claw with this franchise. It needs to just be about making the playoffs! There difference on that front can be as little as a point, we saw that last year. The difference between making it and not making it can absolutely be the situation we put our core in re: the maneuvering we do on the chess board, the supporting pieces we complement the core with.

This season needs to be about THIS season. This season shouldn’t merely be viewed as a stepping stone to the “ultimate goal.” It doesn’t matter right now if the core is good enough to be a contender: just get them in the playoffs - just be mediocre. When the line is “mediocre”, yes, *every* roster spot is under the microscope. After 13 years, it absolutely should not be any other way 

Valid, but the people doing the framing here aren't you and I, they are Pegula, Adams and Granato.

I was framing my take in the context of their stated path and goals.

I don't have a lot of virtriol left. I think we're into absurd comedy territory. Sardonic? Sure.

This all could be a Netflix series. The remaining hope filled fans of a hapless sports team with a clueless owner just keep debating, yelling, crying and plotting.

Just get some cameras planted in the various posting places and it would be dramatic and comedic gold.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't have a lot of virtriol left. I think we're into absurd comedy territory. Sardonic? Sure.

This all could be a Netflix series. The remaining hope filled fans of a hapless sports team with a clueless owner just keep debating, yelling, crying and plotting.

Just get some cameras planted in the various posting places and it would be dramatic and comedic gold.

We already have had a German-Canadian soccer coach from Austria, coaching an NHL team located in the US.   

Why not start a series about an American football coach, coaching a soccer team in the UK?  Ok, that was done once.  

Lets trade our hockey owner for a UK Football owner.   

Believe Guardian Angels GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by Pimlach
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

Honestly this team just isn't playing with any confidence or swagger like they had last year.

Once they get that back things will improve quite a bit I think.

I believe that in the process of trying to emphasize defense in the offense/defense balance, the team lost its confidence.  This year, the players seemed to be more hesitant and less reactive in their play instead of playing looser and with more freedom. Sometimes thinking too much about what you should be doing hinders what you are doing. 

There is a style of play that accentuates speed and offense that is most suitable to the way this roster is constructed. The team seems to have lost its identity and  confidence. It's my opinion that constantly being stymied on the PP has contributed to some of its loss in confidence. It's time to get its mojo back. 

On 1/11/2024 at 6:28 PM, Norcal said:

Very sad.  He must have forgot this day.  Or someone made up that speech for him.  Aspire to be mediocre and we would have made the playoffs a few times.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.