Some Low-Event Love

DarthEbriate

In general, lots of threads/comments hoping to see the kids: Kulich, Savoie, Benson, Rosen, etc. And yes, I'm glad to see all those top picks in the pipeline, too. They're young scorers and will be exciting players (and lead to exciting goals against, too). I just want to take a minute to show some love for the old guys and a low-event hockey line.

Zemgus and Okposo were both -2 in the NYR game opening night. They're both currently even. Don't like +/-? Too bad. They're not scoring goals, but they don't get scored on, either.

They get 60% D-zone starts and are counted on against any line the opposition has for 10 minutes of at 5-on-5 every night. They're a big reason the Sabres are 32-0-4 when leading after 2 periods since the beginning of last season (and are in position to take 200' EN shots at the end). And they're on one-year deals so you can always move on if they lose a step (or in Okposo's, another step).

Krebs, Jost, Cozens, (maybe soon Savoie), it doesn't matter who is center. The center learns an all-around game that will translate very well to a long career and to the playoffs when they make it.

To sum up: Lindy Ruff would love to have a pair of guys like this at his disposal, too.

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

In general, lots of threads/comments hoping to see the kids: Kulich, Savoie, Benson, Rosen, etc. And yes, I'm glad to see all those top picks in the pipeline, too. They're young scorers and will be exciting players (and lead to exciting goals against, too). I just want to take a minute to show some love for the old guys and a low-event hockey line.

Zemgus and Okposo were both -2 in the NYR game opening night. They're both currently even. Don't like +/-? Too bad. They're not scoring goals, but they don't get scored on, either.

They get 60% D-zone starts and are counted on against any line the opposition has for 10 minutes of at 5-on-5 every night. They're a big reason the Sabres are 32-0-4 when leading after 2 periods since the beginning of last season (and are in position to take 200' EN shots at the end). And they're on one-year deals so you can always move on if they lose a step (or in Okposo's, another step).

Krebs, Jost, Cozens, (maybe soon Savoie), it doesn't matter who is center. The center learns an all-around game that will translate very well to a long career and to the playoffs when they make it.

To sum up: Lindy Ruff would love to have a pair of guys like this at his disposal, too.

Would he? I think he'd probably just wish he had Miles Wood back. 

Every team has guys like Kyle and Zemgus.

Every team hopes their 4th liners can do all the dirty jobs the right way.  They show the lesser players in the line-up and in the system what the good habits look like that will give you a long, if inglorious, career.  Recall that Zemgus and Kyle were once scorers who completely reinvented their games to keep up.  That was quite humbling.  If your leaders do it, how can a less respected player not?

They are defencively reliable for extended minutes against most other team's top lines -- even with tough zone starts.  That gives HCDG the luxury of playing 3 lines in mostly offensive situations.  Their play allows coaches to be more patient with younger players as they learn team defence.

Make no mistake: they are here for different proportions of sentimentality, mindset, experience, respect, loyalty, and mental toughness.  In a locker room where GMKA wants guys who want to be in Buffalo, don't underestimate the value of sentimentality in that mix.

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Would he? I think he'd probably just wish he had Miles Wood back. 

Wood would have been a good resigning by them (or by the Sabres). But I think many teams aren't offering a bottom 6 forward a 6-year deal like he got from the Avs, even if the AAV is fine for his production.

Six years for an inconsistent 3rd/4th liner who occasionally has a little hot streak each year that teases possible 2nd line material and will be 34 years old at the end of the contract? Weird.

Having said that, watch Greenway sign a similar 6-year deal after putting up 12-20-32 this year....

Edited by DarthEbriate

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Wood would have been a good resigning by them (or by the Sabres). But I think many teams aren't offering a bottom 6 forward a 6-year deal like he got from the Avs, even if the AAV is fine for his production.

Six years for an inconsistent 3rd/4th liner who occasionally has a little hot streak each year that teases possible 2nd line material and will be 34 years old at the end of the contract? Weird.

Having said that, watch Greenway sign a similar 6-year deal after putting up 12-20-32 this year....

It simply depends on what you think players bring to the line up and to the make up of your team. Wood isn't going to put up huge numbers but he will help you win playoff games. That has value. You look at Florida last year and Sam Bennett had a lot more to do with eliminating the Bruins than Barkov did. imo 34 at the end of the contract is not a terrible age because even if he slows down he still brings that jam they wanted. As I say frequently, not everything is about points and scoring. We need some guys like this on the Sabres. 

\

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.