OT: College Sports Close-ish to Buffalo

JoeSchmoe

I was thinking of bringing the family out to take in some college sports. My son is pushing to hopefully play college baseball somewhere. My daughter just loves a good party.

I used to go to a few games a year at the Carrier Dome back when my friend had a full scholarship for rowing (basketball, football, lacrosse). It was awesome! The atmosphere was always jacked right up.

I figure taking in some sports and taking in the college atmosphere (even if it's not his own sport) would be a great motivator for my son. My wife and daughter have always wanted to experience the college thing.

What's the atmosphere like at the Big 4 college basketball games around Buffalo? I know the schools and gyms are small, but if the crowd is really into it, it could still be fun. My son actually likes the idea of getting into a school like Canisius where he can be around fellow Sabres and Bills fans, and not be too far from home.

Is Syracuse still fun given they're not the same team they used to be? 

Any other suggestions?

Buff St, Fredonia, and Brockport are all a short drive and the seats are close enough to be overtaken by the hockey equipment smell.  D3 hockey is very affordable and entertaining…but not the college experience that party goers might be looking for. 

Cuse basketball is always fun given the size of the outfit. It is worth the trip for pregame beers at faegens and the game at the dome. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I was thinking of bringing the family out to take in some college sports. My son is pushing to hopefully play college baseball somewhere. My daughter just loves a good party.

I used to go to a few games a year at the Carrier Dome back when my friend had a full scholarship for rowing (basketball, football, lacrosse). It was awesome! The atmosphere was always jacked right up.

I figure taking in some sports and taking in the college atmosphere (even if it's not his own sport) would be a great motivator for my son. My wife and daughter have always wanted to experience the college thing.

What's the atmosphere like at the Big 4 college basketball games around Buffalo? I know the schools and gyms are small, but if the crowd is really into it, it could still be fun. My son actually likes the idea of getting into a school like Canisius where he can be around fellow Sabres and Bills fans, and not be too far from home.

Is Syracuse still fun given they're not the same team they used to be? 

Any other suggestions?

Eh...UB was getting decent when the team was going to the NCAA Tournament under Hurley and then Oats but has kinda gone back to nobody caring anymore...

@JoeSchmoe  My kids both went to UGA.  There is no better football atmosphere.  I went to Indiana and there is nothing like a hoops game in Assembly Hall.  For those who want to argue these statements, I’ve been to basketball games at Rupp Arena (UK) and The Dean Dome (UNC) plus football games at Mich, Tenn, OSU among other places.

The reason I bring this up is I went to many of these places when my kids toured all sorts of schools before heading to UGA.  My advice is to see what schools he likes and take a trip that includes a tour, plus at least one cool activity on campus such as a sporting event.  For example Fla St has a student circus and Indiana, besides great basketball, also has an excellent broadway training program with a student theatre.

My kids both liked Miami of Ohio.  They have a very solid D-1 hockey program with a great atmosphere.  It’s also not to far from Buffalo and they have a great campus.  They also have D-1 other sports like baseball and football plus good scholarship programs.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I see there's a game vs Canisius on Nov 11. Would that be a good one to go to, or is it better to go to a conference game?

Yeah I think like Aud said as long as students are there it will be a show.  Best is nationally televised games. The kids will know and bring their A game. Not a whole lot of attention on St Bona compared to the big schools so they relish it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, TheAud said:

UB Basketball has been good in recent years but not sure about this year. 

But the atmosphere in the Reilly Center, when the students are in attendance is just excellent. Not quite as much during the break but it's still pretty good. 

UB has a new coach: George Halcovage III. He was an assistant at Villanova last year. So it's hard to say what UB will be this year. They do have two home games coming up soon: Monday vs Farleigh Dickenson and next Saturday Nov.11 vs South Alabama.

As for atmosphere, UB hasn't had much since the Nate Oats days. St. Bonaventure is a zoo. I've been to one Canisius game and it was okay. (They play in the equivalent of a high school gym.) Never been to Niagara for a game.

I totally wouldn't bother with UB football this year. It's a complete mess. Mostly coaching. They have talent. Just no clue how to use it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

UB has a new coach: George Halcovage III. He was an assistant at Villanova last year. So it's hard to say what UB will be this year. They do have two home games coming up soon: Monday vs Farleigh Dickenson and next Saturday Nov.11 vs South Alabama.

As for atmosphere, UB hasn't had much since the Nate Oats days. St. Bonaventure is a zoo. I've been to one Canisius game and it was okay. (They play in the equivalent of a high school gym.) Never been to Niagara for a game.

I totally wouldn't bother with UB football this year. It's a complete mess. Mostly coaching. They have talent. Just no clue how to use it.

Back in the day, watching a basketball game in the Gallagher Center at NU was an excellent experience. I haven't been there in decades. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.