NHL Network's Top 20 Defensemen (Dahlin on the list)

GASabresIUFAN

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-current-players-ranked-top-20-defensemen/c-345580664

7. Rasmus Dahlin, Buffalo Sabres

The No. 1 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft set NHL career highs in goals (15), assists (58) and points (73) in 78 games last season and finished third in the NHL with an average ice time of 25:48 per game. Dahlin opened 2022-23 by becoming the first defenseman in NHL history to score in each of his first four games. The 23-year-old was the second in Sabres history at the position to reach 70 points in one season after Phil Housley, who did so three times, and was the fourth different Buffalo defenseman to score at least 15 goals in one season.

"He was a first overall pick. He came into the League, the team has struggled and it's hard, learning that position at the highest level," Hradek said. "And he was on that big stage as a No. 1 pick. He took his bumps and bruises along the way but wow, he is the player that they thought they were getting when they picked him at No. 1"

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't agree with the near universal view that Cale Makar is the best defenseman in the league.

Top ten sure, top five probably/maybe. I also realize that many of the people making a list like this watch him play more than I do, but when I watch him play, he is average defensively. Not awful, but he often leaves his position early to set himself up offensively.

I certainly don't watch every game he plays but I watch every time he plays Buffalo, and a handful of other games plus the playoffs, and I just don't see a universal consensus number one guy in the league.

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to NHL Network's Top 20 Defensemen (Dahlin on the list)
3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't agree with the near universal view that Cale Makar is the best defenseman in the league.

Top ten sure, top five probably/maybe. I also realize that many of the people making a list like this watch him play more than I do, but when I watch him play, he is average defensively. Not awful, but he often leaves his position early to set himself up offensively.

I certainly don't watch every game he plays but I watch every time he plays Buffalo, and a handful of other games plus the playoffs, and I just don't see a universal consensus number one guy in the league.

He takes some risks on D and takes too many dumb penalties. 
That said...to see him in-person you can understand why he's viewed by some as the number one defenseman simply due to his explosiveness on the attack. Not unlike his teammate McKinnon, when he gets the puck it's just electric when he takes it up ice. The other team is immediately on their heels so to speak, knowing they can't stop this guy 1 on 1. High quality shot chances occur with frequency.  It's almost McDavid level. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just a reminder that Dahlin will be the only player on this list who will be under 24 at the start on next season.  Hughes and Heiskanen will be 24 this coming season and everyone else will be over 25 

the average age on the list is 29 and a half

Ill admit that this has a flair of homeri but I think that going into the 25-26 season , he will be cemented in the #1 slot that will last for a 5 to 7 year period 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Just a reminder that Dahlin will be the only player on this list who will be under 24 at the start on next season.  Hughes and Heiskanen will be 24 this coming season and everyone else will be over 25 

the average age on the list is 29 and a half

Ill admit that this has a flair of homeri but I think that going into the 25-26 season , he will be cemented in the #1 slot that will last for a 5 to 7 year period 

We saw last year that he still appears to be getting better.  With very few exceptions, D-men take a longer time to reach their peak than forwards do. Being one of the younger ones on that list is a good thing. Some of the best D-men in recent memory (Charra, Karlsson among others) took years to get to be the best verision of who they ended up being.

If you get a chance, I’d suggest watching the video of Dahlin attached to the story.  They talk about his improved 2-way play and that he is now one of the best 2 way D in the NHL.  They mentioned that no D since Burns in 2016 had reached the levels of hits, block and scoring Dahlin achieved last season.  They also called him a one man break out.  

I know I’m a biased Sabres fan, but given Dahlin season last year and knowing it was somewhat slowed by nagging injuries and assuming he stays healthy, he shoudl be the favorite for the Norris this coming year. 

I also think Fox, Makar, and Heiskenan all benefit from playing on better teams and that Hedman is the best all around D in the NHL (with Dahlin hot on his tail).

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

He is incredible and the best d in the league. Other teams game plan around trying to stop him. His power play QBing is enough, but he is the full package. His edge work is as good as anyone in league. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:08 AM, mjd1001 said:

You should try to watch him more. He's dynamic.  For his skill and age, he should be at the top of the list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.