vet forward to fill in until Quinn returns

sweetlou

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

It's not quite that simple because linemates and role affect player value: Olofsson was a far more useful player riding shotgun with Sam and Jack than he was on a 2nd line with Mitts and Jost. Mitts played like a star with Tuch and Skinner.

But I can get on board for sake of argument.

Assuming Olofsson is 80 percent of the player Quinn is, and that roster spot represents 5% of the Sabres lineup, for half a season, aren't we talking the team taking a 0.5% hit this year replacing Quinn with Olofsson?

The 80 percent is completely made up, the 5% is a rough estimate, and every percentage point matters to a bubble team, but i think this kinda shows the degree of impact Quinn's injury could have on the current roster.

I'm sure Tatar would help, but I'm not sure how significant that help would be.

And to further this thought, it isn't Rousek (or Olofsson) replacing Quinn.  Because Rousek (or VO) isn't getting 15 minutes.  It's either Mittelstadt or Peterka covering his time with Rousek (or VO) getting 8 - 11 minutes.  And Rousek (or VO) is getting easier minutes than Quinn would've gotten.  Yes, there's a downgrade.  But the downgrade is from the guy that was your 9th or 10th forward being replaced by your 13th F because 5/6 being replaced by 5/6/7/8 (depending upon how one defines each slot) isn't a particular downgrade.

But where bringing in a Tatar (as an example) really helps is when the 2nd F injury occurs.  Tatar would be far more effective (in all likelihood) than the 14th F would be.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I see no reason why Mitts won't produce the same value. 

Actually, while I think Quinn will turn out to be the better player over the long term, I think Casey is the better second-line winger right now. 

I wouldn't expect a drop off with Mitts, I'd expect an improvement (possibly from standpoint of lower goals against than an increase in points).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

And to further this thought, it isn't Rousek (or Olofsson) replacing Quinn.  Because Rousek (or VO) isn't getting 15 minutes.  It's either Mittelstadt or Peterka covering his time with Rousek (or VO) getting 8 - 11 minutes.  And Rousek (or VO) is getting easier minutes than Quinn would've gotten.  Yes, there's a downgrade.  But the downgrade is from the guy that was your 9th or 10th forward being replaced by your 13th F because 5/6 being replaced by 5/6/7/8 (depending upon how one defines each slot) isn't a particular downgrade.

But where bringing in a Tatar (as an example) really helps is when the 2nd F injury occurs.  Tatar would be far more effective (in all likelihood) than the 14th F would be.

Kinda, but also kinda another attempt at the shell game.

the net is STILL much closer to Quinn to Rousek/Olofsson. Because it’s not just the gap from your 9th best F being replaced by 13: you have to add in the small differences between 5/6/7/8 in shuffling around. Even if small. Because that’s where you are attempting to launder value mysteriously in getting it to: “see! It’s just 9th spot to 13!” I explained this yesterday: *IF* there is truly no gap of note between 5/6/7/8/9, it comes to the same thing because if player 9 is negligibly different to player 5, you are still replacing a #5 like talent with #13 when you sub in 13 for 9.

You are correct though in that any minutes we can simply lump onto, say, Peterka instead, as straight added ice time, represents a smaller downgrade for that portion of minutes  

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Having an excess of talent in the prospect pool is not something to worry over; not having an adequate enough pool is something to be concerned with. As others have said, most of the high-end prospects in our system are still another year or two away from being ready for the NHL. And internal competition within the system is a good thing for developing players. Also, having an abundance of prospects gives the organization more assets to trade when trying to better balance and improve the NHL roster. 

Not getting it...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.