Defense remake underway! Who is moving on?

GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Granato in a press conference today talked about the Sabres having 3 LHD (Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson) that E Johnson (and Clifton) could pair with and benefit any of them.

My takeaways were I hope that they don’t overplay Johnson too much, and also it sounds like they intend to play Dahlin on the left side.

Dahlin - Clifton 

Power - E. Johnson 

Samuelsson - Jokiharju 

With the ability to switch muel up to dahlin and Clifton back for E Johnson. Lyubushkin is your 7th D and they may run 7D. 

Btw, not advocating for this but suggesting a possibility

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin - Clifton 

Power - E. Johnson 

Samuelsson - Jokiharju 

With the ability to switch muel up to dahlin and Clifton back for E Johnson. Lyubushkin is your 7th D and they may run 7D. 

I’ve also been thinking we see something along these lines, and I think it would work fairly well. Based on how Granato adjusted in crunch time later in the season, and how our 1-3 D are LHD and our 4-7 D are all RHD, it makes sense that we try to balance out the defense so that all pairs are pretty solid for most of the game, and then bring out our best possible 2 pairs when it matters most.  Doubt we run 7D though. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin - Clifton 

Power - E. Johnson 

Samuelsson - Jokiharju 

I think those are the putative starting six, but you can mix and match them any way you want and Lyubushkin will get plenty of action as the season unfolds.

It sure sounded like he doesn’t envision Johnson as a 6/7, more like somebody he intends to lean on, on and off the ice.

There’s been a real tactical angle to his comments this week; I suspect we will see a lot more tactical matchups, both within games and game-to-game. And they’ve targeted these two new guys as players having the situational skill sets missing from the tool box last year.

Sounds like we may get a much better look at Donnie Granato, game coach, this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin - Clifton 

Power - E. Johnson 

Samuelsson - Jokiharju 

DG may try something like this.

Positives:

Left/right balance.

Clifton was great with Lindholm, may have the same chemistry with Dahlin.

Experienced stay at home guy for Power.

Mule may be the best fit for Joki. That could be the best 3rd pairing in the league.

Negatives:

EJ holding up, ice time wise.

No chemistry from the start, may take awhile to develop.

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

DG may try something like this.

Positives:

Left/right balance.

Clifton was great with Lindholm, may have the same chemistry with Dahlin.

Experienced stay at home guy for Power.

Mule may be the best fit for Joki. That could be the best 3rd pairing in the league.

Negatives:

EJ holding up, ice time wise.

No chemistry from the start, may take awhile to develop.

Two all-around studs, two mammoth stay-at-home types, two aggressive play pushers (one physically, one with his skating).

Donnie’s going to have plenty of choices for how he wants to match up.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:56 PM, French Collection said:

The 7/8 guys being Boosh and Stillman would be a decent third pairing.

Real depth.

Bonus being Bryson as the 9th or 10th option, if he is still around.

Hopefully Bryson drops below a couple of the AHL guys after a couple of months of the season …again if he is still around 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:56 PM, French Collection said:

The 7/8 guys being Boosh and Stillman would be a decent third pairing.

Real depth.

Bonus being Bryson as the 9th or 10th option, if he is still around.

Novikov is already better than Bryson

In my book. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

Exactly trade Bryson for a mid round pick.  Move on from him.  He'd be interesting as a depth piece on a rebuilder.

Im not sure you could waive Bryson and get a team to take him. Teams don't want short mediocre defenders with limited offensive ability. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.