Helicopter Parents

LabattBlue

Teaching your kids responsibility and independence is your duty.  I have 4. Two adults with careers (Engineering and the other a Marine overseas).  I have one about to go to college next year and one with a year left of school. As much as I love them I have to let them go one by one.  It is the way.  Keeping them in the nest is a terrible thing to do to your kids. Enjoy their childhood while it lasts.  I now enjoy the adult "kids" as "friends". 

Edited by Gatorman0519

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Oh, come on.  If that wasn’t a perfectly forecasted “back in my day” post, I don’t know what would be.  Own it you sentimental old fart.  😁

My plate runs over and I nab a snippet that inspires the zen that I seek, it finds the deep memories, rich with the lessons that have propelled me.

Coincidentally, I stepped into the *****. It’s like not a G. Downey, burning bag of ***** moment, but I did see a bit it on my shoe.

Maybe we should let this thread be a tell all, a guide to the youth, a signal and a sign. 

We could enlighten the younger ones. Life is very hard for the poor and disenfranchised, but it can also be hard on the affluent, especially if they are not prepping their young for tougher times. 

IMO, of course.

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m not sure what a “helicopter parent” is, but maybe I am one due to the abusive things my daughters mother has done to her. 

Looking out for your children when they need it or they cannot protect themselves is not helicoptering, that's just parenting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.