Sabres Lines, Nov. 9, 2022

Thorny

8 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

I did not imply that he should be an everyday starter. I think he should play more. 

I thought when we signed Comrie it would be a 50/50 split. Its not, which is okay. With how long Craigster has been in the league plus his stats being respectable, he should get more playing time than he has now.  

The plan had to be Comrie getting 2 or 3 starts to every one of Anderson's to have any prayer of getting a full year out of Anderson.

They also, smartly, are giving Anderson the easier games (either due to opponent, travel, or both) relative to Comrie when he does play.

21 hours ago, Thorny said:

Do they think Mitts is good? Or are they giving him the runway to definitively prove he is not?

Is it more likely they have a very wonky talent analysis of Mittelstadt that flies in the face of what the underlying numbers would be telling them, or that they view this as a season where experimenting with individual players is the priority? 

Disclaimer: *This is not an endorsement of said priority alignment*

Well said.  I actually think both items are true here -- DG thinks Mitts has a lot to give, AND the franchise wants to figure out, this season, whether Mitts is a long-term piece.

I also think it's worth noting that playing him isn't blocking anyone else out of the rotation -- it's not like Savoie or Kulich or anyone else is ready

18 hours ago, Weave said:

Have we finally reached the point where we can actually look down on Mitts contributions without the kids-just-need-time brigade shouting us down?  Rejoice.

He just doesn’t have it.  At this point Brian Holzinger or Derek Plante will be a very positive outcome for Mitts.  Move him for a piece that helps now, and after his next contract he’ll enjoy a respectable career in one of the European leagues.

It’s a shame.  He’s got Connolly’s hands.  But the rest of Connolly’s shifty-ness just doesn’t show up often enough.

I'm a longtime Mitts skeptic, and I can see coming to this conclusion at the end of this season, but IMHO it's too soon.  He's 23 and this is his first healthy season in a non-dysfunctional environment.  I've seen more from him this year than I've ever seen previously.  He hasn't been consistent, and his line still isn't nearly good enough at O-zone possession, but he's shown better speed and awareness of his spacing on the ice than he has previously, and he's made a number of nice plays.

1 hour ago, Toilet_Mop said:

It was my own impression 

Then it's probably not fair to hold Sabres management accountable to it.

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I also think it's worth noting that playing him isn't blocking anyone else out of the rotation -- it's not like Savoie or Kulich or anyone else is ready

In a year or two there will be a bunch of prospects busting down the door to the Sabres dressing room.  I could see them moving several of Asplund, Mitts, Cozens, Olofsson, etc., to make room for them... that is, if the named players are not "part of the solution."

17 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You move him if you can improve somewhere else.  It would be better if one of our young centers is ready, but none are right now. 

Winning would enable development.  

Yes, winning can be an important part of development. Numerous factors enter the decisions on how to develop a team and there are no absolute right ways. If winning was the end all then the Sabres would be using all of the cap to bring in players that would help them win. That might make them more competitive for a couple of years and maybe even get them to the playoffs and win a round. It also might stunt their long-term player development and head them in the direction of years of mediocrity. Management has obviously chosen the route that they think will bring them long term success. They need to stick to their own process and not chicken out for instant gratification. 

I've been a fan of the Sabres since about two years after their inception and found this place in the Sabres great resurgence in 2005. I used to post a fair amount then but my posts got wiped out. I have mostly been lurking since but my low post count doesn't reflect a lack of interest in the Sabres or my knowledge of their history. I am not an X's and O's guy but am more of a big picture person who believes that the head coach should first and foremost lead and set the tone. I know you've been around here for quite some time and are sick of the past losing and lack of cohesiveness. Me too, but that comes in 2nd place to building this organization. Anyway, I've read your comments for years and think you are a great poster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Then it's probably not fair to hold Sabres management accountable to it.

In a year or two there will be a bunch of prospects busting down the door to the Sabres dressing room.  I could see them moving several of Asplund, Mitts, Cozens, Olofsson, etc., to make room for them... that is, if the named players are not "part of the solution."

I’d be floored if Cozens is ever moved unless it’s to being in an elite player.  Asplund is so good defensively, I don’t see many prospects coming in with his skill set. Maybe Ostland? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.