The ascending/arrival of Rasmus Dahlin

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That's tough because each of those players faced different situations as they came into the league.

Dahlin was set back immensely by RK. A large part of an athletes effectiveness is their confidence level. It has become obvious that RK did nothing to foster that amongst the Sabres. The whole team is playing with a confidence level that is allowing them to really perform. On the other hand they are prone to let a little hubris creep in and think they are better than they are. That's when unprovoked mistakes are made. This team will make mistakes that some people will denigrate them for. Instead of getting all upset we should realize that mistakes that are the positive kind are simply a part of the maturation process and we're watching a team get better. Dahlin, who is most likely the highest skilled player on the team has also recently shown a very high level of hockey sense. The last 4 years, no matter how difficult they may have been seem to have made this player a man at the age of 22.  

• Agree 3

I'm not overly surprised at how good Dahlin is playing now and how long it took to get there.  I can't find it but I looked up a couple years ago (when some were calling for Dahlin to be traded) just how long it took some of the other elite D-mean to develop. It took Charra 6 years to be recognized as even 'very good'.  Erik Karlsson was so bad in his own end that he actually was being pulled off the ice in close games until his 4th or 5th year, Victor Hedman never scored more than 5 goals or 25 point until his 5th year in the league, and he came into the NHL with almost as high pedigree as Dahlin.

There have been a couple D-men here and there that hit the NHL and are very good to start with, but it is MUCH rarer for a D-man to be like that, especially one that is known for being well-rounded and great in both ends of the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

The last 4 years, no matter how difficult they may have been seem to have made this player a man at the age of 22.  

A man, a leader, and future All-Star… Dahlin owns his space on the ice and more… 

27 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not overly surprised at how good Dahlin is playing now and how long it took to get there.  I can't find it but I looked up a couple years ago (when some were calling for Dahlin to be traded) just how long it took some of the other elite D-mean to develop. It took Charra 6 years to be recognized as even 'very good'.  Erik Karlsson was so bad in his own end that he actually was being pulled off the ice in close games until his 4th or 5th year, Victor Hedman never scored more than 5 goals or 25 point until his 5th year in the league, and he came into the NHL with almost as high pedigree as Dahlin.

There have been a couple D-men here and there that hit the NHL and are very good to start with, but it is MUCH rarer for a D-man to be like that, especially one that is known for being well-rounded and great in both ends of the ice.

Dahlin didn't reach this level because Ralph Krueger and Steve Smith are awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin didn't reach this level because Ralph Krueger and Steve Smith are awful. 

I guess it's possible to learn something from even poor teachers or uninspiring leaders. From an observer who is also a fan it is apparent though that Dahlin didn't flourish until Granato was able to get him to play with instinct rather than referring to page 2, article 3 before making a move. Krueger & Smith may certainly have some value but it should be obvious that their values didn't align with the type of players they were supplied with. They would probably do much better with the old NJ Devils and their style of play. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dahlin also, ya know...aged.

It was inevitable. Coaches come and go. 

People being just so darn surprised a 21 year old with massive pedigree got way better during the time period where... players generally get way better is the best and always fun. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.