Jerry Forton: Sabres Head of Amateur Scouting

LGR4GM

38 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Are you thinking the player himself is a wasted pick (will never amount to anything) or rather when that player was selected (too early)?

Yes. I think he was ranked there because the scouts, not the analytics team pushed for it. He was rated too early in a bad goalie draft. 

I think at the very best he's a career backup but at his height and weight, I don't think he'll ever be fast enough for the nhl game. I also bet his hips and knees will have issues. 

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I'm interested in why they selected C 3 picks in a row...was it truly best player available on their board or did they specifically target the position?

Seems like Savoie was a no brainer pick, but why the other 2 on top of him?

I think Östlund is the only sure fire center of the bunch. I read Savoie played much better in the second half when he was frequently moved to wing. We'll see but I'd say it was clearly BPA. 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. I think he was ranked there because the scouts, not the analytics team pushed for it. He was rated too early in a bad goalie draft. 

I think at the very best he's a career backup but at his height and weight, I don't think he'll ever be fast enough for the nhl game. I also bet his hips and knees will have issues. 

We have no idea what he will turn into. He is 18 in a position who come into their own at 27.

All goalies these days have hip/knee issues.

I can’t remember if it is Finland or Sweden, but they are putting rules in place where younger goalies coming up can only do certain drills for a couple minutes a practice in order to ease the pressure that is put on the hips and knees with this new style of goaltending.

1 hour ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

I think Östlund is the only sure fire center of the bunch. I read Savoie played much better in the second half when he was frequently moved to wing. We'll see but I'd say it was clearly BPA. 

Which could be one more similarity between Briere & Savoie.  While Briere was technically the C on his line, he often had linemates such as Hecht or the FA signee that shall go unnamed that took on many of the defensive responsibilities so he was sort of a hybrid C/W.  Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world were the Sabres to fill that role by committee on a line or 2.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Listening to him talk about the goalie, impo, it's clear the scouting side pushed for that pick. I think it will be a wasted pick but it's the only flaw in that draft.

I think the scouting side pushed Leinonen’s merit, but I think this was a GM’s pick.

Adams wanted a “real” goalie prospect this year and the staff (Forton emphasized the gap between Topias and the next guy on their list) was of the opinion that Leinonen may have been the only one in this crop; basically, if you want one, it’s him or nobody.

So Adams paid over market price at 41 to fill a perceived need because he wasn’t going to be there at 74.

2 hours ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Which could be one more similarity between Briere & Savoie.  While Briere was technically the C on his line, he often had linemates such as Hecht or the FA signee that shall go unnamed that took on many of the defensive responsibilities so he was sort of a hybrid C/W.  Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world were the Sabres to fill that role by committee on a line or 2.

I think whether Savoie ends up at centre or wing will depend a lot on his linemates and their chemistry.

I don’t think his skill set will force him into one or the other.

I can get excited about a Savoie Krebs Cozens line in a few years that will blow other lines away with their ability to execute plays at pace. It won’t really matter much where they line up for faceoffs.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Are you thinking the player himself is a wasted pick (will never amount to anything) or rather when that player was selected (too early)?

yes.  That said, I was listening to NHL Network radio today and heard an interesting comment on the goaltenders in this draft.  They said COVID basically hurt the developing goalies more than any other position because they need game reps to learn their craft.  Skaters can work on their skill set individually, but goalies need to see pucks in game conditions.  He said that the goalies in this draft will probably need an extra development year but ultimately will be fine.

While this gave me a little more hope for this pick, it also reinforced that we took the goalie way to early.  

As to the 3 centers, given our lack of depth at that position in the prospect pool, I have zero problem with the 3 picks.  Also Savoie and Kulich also have experience on the wing.  What makes their selection so interesting is that each guy brings something a little different to the party.  Savoie is hi IQ, speed and a lethal shot.  Östlund is another Krebs type player which we need although I think as he gets more mature his shot will improve.  Kulich is a little bit of everything.  He shoots extremely well, skates well and passes well but not quite at the elite levels of Savoie (shooting) or Östlund (playmaking). In addition he is better defensively than his 1st rd counterparts.  Kulich is my favorite of the 3 picks.  

Long-term, I believe Savoie will grow into a scoring middle six winger, a better version of VO.  Östlund and Krebs will battle it out for top playmaking center while Kulich will hopefully become a home grown ROR.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.