How does this team compare to '99 talentwise?

SDS

I know it is a different game, but it seems to me we have waaaay more talent on this team than back then. Sure, we had fast skaters back then, but most couldn't hit the broad side of barn with the puck from what I remember.

This team seems to be much more complete with skaters and guys who can finish plays.

If Dominik Hasek would have had this current cast of players with him in the late '90s and early '00s, we'd have multiple Cup banners hanging from the rafters today at "The Bank".

I know it is a different game, but it seems to me we have waaaay more talent on this team than back then. Sure, we had fast skaters back then, but most couldn't hit the broad side of barn with the puck from what I remember.

This team seems to be much more complete with skaters and guys who can finish plays.

You got it. The '99 team was probably an above average team with the best goalie in the world. This team is loaded with offensive talent from the top to bottom of the roster, and the cool thing is that there are "role players" that can put the puck in the net. I really like that post from a few days ago (can't remember who's, sorry) where someone said when you watch this team everyone looks "different". They also said that with the exception of a couple guys, the '99 team seemed to look all the same. It's hard to explain but I think I know exactly what the poster was trying to say and I agree 100%. On this team, even the 4th line is still talented and it seems no matter what kind of lines are put together, they seem to always mesh very well.

Of course this team has more talent. But how would Tim Connolly have fared in the NHL circa 1998-99, and how would Brian Holzinger have fared in today's game? It's an impossible question.

I know this. Talent isn't everything. The team in '99 had a great start to the regular season then went in the tank for a couple of months before catching fire in the playoffs. This team has been hot more or less since October, but let's see that talent get within two wins of the Cup. :)

I've always bristled at the notion the 99 playoff team was all Dominik Hasek. The Sabres scored a ton of goals in winning the first three rounds -- about 3 per game, a ton in those days.

There was incredible chemistry on that team, just like this one. Varada. Peca. Ward. WarrenerMcKee. Zhitnik. Satan. Barnes. Woolley. That was an amazing collection of hockey players -- the classic example of the sum being greater than the parts.

Let's appreciate both teams and have this conversation again in two months.

If Dominik Hasek would have had this current cast of players with him in the late '90s and early '00s, we'd have multiple Cup banners hanging from the rafters today at "The Bank".

Or going the other way - if this year's team had the Hasek from 1997-2000 guarding the nets today, I think we breeze through a couple Cup runs now...

Completely different leagues. Personally I don't view the game the 1999 Sabres playes as true hockey, or for that matter the NHL from the late 80's to the strike of 2004-2005. The game as it is being played today represents what hockey should be, and the Sabres are just better built for this style of play IMO. The neutral zone trap, grabbing clutching, and other forms of obstruction sucked the life out of hockey for years.

What we saw both Sat and Mon against Philly was an almost complete reversal of rolls.

Philly use to pepper us with shots and opportunities while dishing out the big punishing hit. The Sabres would scrap along and depend on passive game and great goaltending while exploiting mistakes.

Now the Sabres are peppering the opponents with shots, and dishing out the big hits, but they are doing it with amazing team speed, grace and a determination that has me thinking this could very well be the year.

I think it's an interesting question to pose, but will agree with PA...this team, as it stands right now, would have been eaten alive in the 98-99 playoffs.

I think a more interesting comparison would be if you put Hasek from the 1998 season in net for this team. THAT would be sweet to watch.

Of course, what if the 1998 Dom was in net this season? Do you think Lindy would still have coached the way he did this year, or would he have featured a more conservative, defensive style of play, despite the new rules? I think it's not unreasonable to think that he would have catered to his biggest strength, which in that case, would be Hasek, not team speed. It's an interesting question, but in the end, impossible to compare. It's like asking if the 1920's Canadiens were better than the 2000's Red Wings. How could you compare the two teams?

Even though the '99 Sabres and '06 Sabres are seperated by just 7 years, the reality is they played in completely different eras.

I think it's an interesting question to pose, but will agree with PA...this team, as it stands right now, would have been eaten alive in the 98-99 playoffs.

I think a more interesting comparison would be if you put Hasek from the 1998 season in net for this team. THAT would be sweet to watch.

Of course, what if the 1998 Dom was in net this season? Do you think Lindy would still have coached the way he did this year, or would he have featured a more conservative, defensive style of play, despite the new rules? I think it's not unreasonable to think that he would have catered to his biggest strength, which in that case, would be Hasek, not team speed. It's an interesting question, but in the end, impossible to compare. It's like asking if the 1920's Canadiens were better than the 2000's Red Wings. How could you compare the two teams?

Even though the '99 Sabres and '06 Sabres are seperated by just 7 years, the reality is they played in completely different eras.

I think he would still use the same system. Our system does not work without good goaltending. If someone gets caught pinching, the goaltender has to bail them out.

I think he would still use the same system. Our system does not work without good goaltending. If someone gets caught pinching, the goaltender has to bail them out.

If anything, I think he would have used an even MORE wide open system, as (the Hart winning) Dom would be expected to bail them out of almost any mistake made. Nothing at all against Ryan (or Marty for that matter) but when Dom was at the top of his game, he WAS the best goalie in the world. If this team, that can skate like crazy, had Dom at the top of his game, they would have had at least 10 more points in the standings. Teams would have been truly afraid of coming to the Mmarena as Dom would have made our upper-middle of the pack D crew look like it was one of the top 5 or 6. (Just like he did around the turn of the millenium.)

Archived