Do You Think The Sabres Top Brass Sees This As A “Tank” Season?

bob_sauve28

Does Sabres Top Brass See This As A Tank Season?   

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a tank season?

• Yes
    • No

44 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If there were 6 of him.😂

You are saying that 6 of him would not make for an excellent top-6?  I’m guessing here because you are being unclear.

I would agree with that.  That’s why I said he could be top-6 on an excellent team, not that he could be the best forward on an excellent team.

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

You are saying that 6 of him would not make for an excellent top-6?  I’m guessing here because you are being unclear.

I would agree with that.  That’s why I said he could be top-6 on an excellent team, not that he could be the best forward on an excellent team.

We agree with who is is, then.

He’s not untouchable. Or at least shouldnt be if it can improve the team, and i think there could be a move there for a team that wants to win now.

47 minutes ago, SwampD said:

We agree with who is is, then.

He’s not untouchable. Or at least shouldnt be if it can improve the team, and i think there could be a move there for a team that wants to win now.

No player is untouchable.

What do you actually have in mind?  Because I have a difficult time seeing a scenario where trading him makes Buffalo better 2-3 years from now.

Thats the goal right?  To be a good (playoff?) team 2-3 years from now.  Yes?

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

No player is untouchable.

What do you actually have in mind?  Because I have a difficult time seeing a scenario where trading him makes Buffalo better 2-3 years from now.

Thats the goal right?  To be a good (playoff?) team 2-3 years from now.  Yes?

I dont know or care enough to know what teams are out there in a win now mode with something to offer. I just hope that our GM does.

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I dont know or care enough to know what teams are out there in a win now mode with something to offer. I just hope that our GM does.

The last thing I want is yet another good player’s timeline kicked down the road another 3-5 yrs, which is the timeline for Tuch’s 50% chance at replacement.

This is how the whole ***** show started a decade ago. Let’s not continue this.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

The last thing I want is yet another good player’s timeline kicked down the road another 3-5 yrs, which is the timeline for Tuch’s 50% chance at replacement.

This is how the whole ***** show started a decade ago. Let’s not continue this.

Yep. We are where we are now, though. This is the first time I’ve accepted that might actually be the correct path and am going with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I don’t see any likely scenarios where trading Tuch for futures makes the Sabres better in 2024.

I don’t think getting a pick and a prospect for Tuch is likely to make the Sabres better in 2024.

If Tuch was old, overplayed, or only had 1-2 years remaining on his contract then I could see possibilities, but that’s not the case.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yep. We are where we are now, though. This is the first time I’ve accepted that might actually be the correct path and am going with it.

Tuch 25, Thompson 24, Mittelstadt 23, UPL 22, Jokiharju 22, Dahlin 21. Samuelsson 21, Portillo 21, Krebs 20, Cozens 20, Quinn 20, Johnson 20, Levi 20, Peterka 19, Power 19.

7 picks in the top 100 last year, 8 more in the 1st 2 rounds this year and next.

We need players on the front-end of the Dahlin bubble more than the back end. Tuch is on a good contract and will still be good in 5 years. He fits.

Keep him.

Separately, I feel like i don't know you any more.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Tuch 25, Thompson 24, Mittelstadt 23, UPL 22, Jokiharju 22, Dahlin 21. Samuelsson 21, Portillo 21, Krebs 20, Cozens 20, Quinn 20, Johnson 20, Levi 20, Peterka 19, Power 19.

7 picks in the top 100 last year, 8 more in the 1st 2 rounds this year and next.

We need players on the front-end of the Dahlin bubble more than the back end. Tuch is on a good contract and will still be good in 5 years. He fits.

Keep him.

Separately, I feel like i don't know you any more.

Me, too. Then again, i did just have a chunk of my brain taken out less than a week ago.🤪

20 hours ago, nfreeman said:

They are 11-36 in their last 47.  If they weren’t trying to tank then they really pooped the bed.  

Probably. 

I’m not sure what’s worse, choosing to make losing the desire/acceptable, if that’s what happened, or the situation where we’ve been this bad if Adams actually thought what he assembled would amount to more. 

I think I’d take the former, under the caveat it’s only this season. The latter probably proves Adams has significant aptitude issues, but if it’s the former, I think the strategy has a fighting chance, even if I disagree with tossing a season. 

As for the caveat, if next year the goal is again a high draft position, that’s the worst of all the scenarios and puts the strategy and Adams beyond redemption in my personal evaluation. 

Tanking 2 straight seasons again, after having already been through that in the recent past, would be beyond insulting to the fan. Being bad willingly for 2 seasons is just a bad strategy, I wouldn’t need to wait and see if it gets lucky. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.