Comparing the Kids Potential to Former Sabres

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Speaking of the old core and the fruit of the tank. 

https://www.lines.com/nhl/10-best-nhl-players-under-25-209

No Eichel. (McDavid, Marner, Rantanen).   No Reinhart (Driasiatl, Pastrnak, Point).  

That article is from 14 months ago.

Which actually makes it surprising that Eichel isn’t on it.  I wouldn’t expect anyone would have him on it today, or Reinhart for that matter.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Which actually makes it surprising that Eichel isn’t on it.  I wouldn’t expect anyone would have him on it today, or Reinhart for that matter.

The 14 months ago point makes it more impactful. 

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Curt said:

He might crack the top 10 for Reinhart brothers, though

But NHL? Ya, no

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Speaking of the old core and the fruit of the tank. 

https://www.lines.com/nhl/10-best-nhl-players-under-25-209

No Eichel. (McDavid, Marner, Rantanen).   No Reinhart (Driasiatl, Pastrnak, Point).  

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The 14 months ago point makes it more impactful. 

Perhaps but I always take this type of ranking with a grain of salt.  What's the criteria and how much big market team bias is in play?  Notice that Marner made the list (big market in Toronto).  I'd rather see a coaches poll to see who they would rank as the top players under 25.

Same goes for this year with Montreal and Caufield.  Caufield is good but I'm not sure I would have him as the best prospect from the 2019 draft (as Montreal media suggests).  It's a bit early to make that pronouncement.

5 minutes ago, Digger said:

Perhaps but I always take this type of ranking with a grain of salt.  What's the criteria and how much big market team bias is in play?  Notice that Marner made the list (big market in Toronto).  I'd rather see a coaches poll to see who they would rank as the top players under 25.

Same goes for this year with Montreal and Caufield.  Caufield is good but I'm not sure I would have him as the best prospect from the 2019 draft (as Montreal media suggests).  It's a bit early to make that pronouncement.

For whatever it's worth, and understanding it is different people doing the ranking, but last year THN had Eichel the 13th best player (of any age) with Marner at 27.  So, to believe Eichel wasn't one of the 10 best U25 players heading into last season is straining credulity. 

Pretty sure it's an attempt to cash in on Buffalo fans notoriously thin skins.  "How DARE you disrespect our guy!?!  We'll send your link everywhere and have our our friends come to your site to post just how dumb you are!"  (Guys who wrote article: ka-ching!)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Sure.  The market plays into it some, but even more of a factor is that these players play for strong teams, except for Barkov and the Edmonton duo.  

Barkov tends to play very well against Eichel too.  McDavid is a true star.  Driasiatl is the one that got away.  

You can’t argue that Sam and Jack are better than any on this list but you certainly can wonder if they would be on the list had they played almost anywhere else.  

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sure.  The market plays into it some, but even more of a factor is that these players play for strong teams, except for Barkov and the Edmonton duo.  

Barkov tends to play very well against Eichel too.  McDavid is a true star.  Driasiatl is the one that got away.  

You can’t argue that Sam and Jack are better than any on this list but you certainly can wonder if they would be on the list had they played almost anywhere else.  

Good point about the players playing on strong teams.

I could argue that when this list was created that Eichel should have been in the top 10.  I would switch out Marner for Eichel and feel pretty confident about it.  These lists don't generally show a criteria for how the players are ranked and because of that they mean very little to me.  I still say that if you had an anonymous coaches poll allowing them to rank the best players in the league it would be very interesting to see where players ranked. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.