Shopping Jack Eichel: Philadephia

dudacek

Will they be interested?

I think the Flyers this summer would be interested in just about anything. They had a very disappointing season and are in the mood for a shakeup. They have some cap space to work with this summer and two key pieces (Giroux and Couturier) hitting free agency next summer. Eichel would certainly move to the top of their depth chart and fits in perfectly with their new wave of players as they move on from the van Reimsdyks and the Voraceks. On the other hand, these Flyers can score; it's keeping the puck out of their net that they have problems with.

Do they have the pieces?

They certainly have pieces, regardless of whether the Sabres want now, later, or a bit of both. Laughton, Hayes and Couturier work as shields for the Sabres young centres. Konecny, Sanheim, Myers and Provorov are good now and young enough to get better. Frost, Farabee, York, Brink, disappointing #2 pick Nolan Patrick and a handful of others are intriguing lottery tickets. There is certainly enough to start a conversation

Would this work?

Provorov, Couturier, Lindblom and Patrick for Eichel, Ristolainen and Samuelsson.

When I look at the Flyers, I keep coming back to Provorov as the deal-maker; he's their best asset and he fits our team as the shutdown pair anchor while Dahlin anchors the offensive pair. Couturier and Ristolainen are pending UFAs that fill the roster holes created by the primary pieces and make up the Eichel/Provorov value difference. Nolan and Samuelsson do the same at the prospect level. Lindblom is a cap dump. The Sabres could also retain on Risto instead.

There are a lot of different ways to structure the adds.

Is there a deal to be made with the Flyers?

Edited by dudacek

• dudacek changed the title to Shopping Jack Eichel: Philadephia

I could see Philly exploring this trade more than Winnipeg but I don't see them parting with Coutourier or Provorov.   Nolan is an underachiever with a head injury, not sure you want to roll the dice on him. I have no idea how this trade might look. They might want to dump Van Riemsdyck's salary. Farabee is a guy I'd like to see coming our way. Maybe Konecny. In a multi package. 

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And?  I'm not talking about a 10 year extension.  A 5 year deal and leadership for Casey and Cozens.  His two way play would elevate this team.  

I just think this trade wouldn't be good for our timeline.

Should trade jack for a young center to grow with the core 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

I just think this trade wouldn't be good for our timeline.

Should trade jack for a young center to grow with the core 

I'm working under the assumption that Risto, Jack and Reinhart will all be traded this off-season (I don't think this is what they should do).  KA is going to hire Granato and they are going to move forward with the idea that Cozens, R2, and Mitts are the core forwards plus Quinn JJP and Berniers or Power in the draft.

If this is the strategy they are going to want a veteran center to shepherd Mitts and Cozens for a few years and preferably one with a good 2 way game.  That Courterier in a nutshell.  Casey played like a legit top 6 forward once the streak ended with 17 points in his last 22 games (.77 pts per game).  He was also +2 won nearly 50% of his draws and shockingly was used more in the D Zone then O zone last season.  That's pretty incredible for a guy written off my most here and many in the media.

If Mitts continues that growth then he has 1st line potential long-term.  Cozens is also just 20 (Feb Bday) and showed flashes of being a good NHL center.  We need to protect their growth curves and still field a competitive team.    

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Mitts continues that growth then he has 1st line potential long-term.  Cozens is also just 20 (Feb Bday) and showed flashes of being a good NHL center.  We need to protect their growth curves and still field a competitive team.    

You just know if they do this, then there will be a irrationally overwhelming majority of Buffalo-area sports talking heads who will scream, whine, and moan every day for hours on end spouting bilge that they aren't trying hard enough to tank properly.

I really think Philly will be among the more highly-motivated teams to make a deal for Jack and they do have intriguing pieces.

I am also far more interested in Couturier than some of you here as the secondary piece. He’d be the ideal player to shield Casey and Dylan. You can’t trust that he will re-sign and that will have to be factored into the value, but I think we can re-sign him if we look like an up-and-comer, and also get a decent return at the deadline if it doesn’t work out.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.