What lines will we see for the Sabres tomorrow night?

DonInBuffalo

Let's assume that Hecht will be in the lineup. Based on everything I've read he will. What lines will Lindy use? The natural assumption is that he'll put Hecht back with Briere and Dumont. I'm not so sure. IMO he'll want an experienced checking line to put up against Forsberg, especially since the Sabres are at home and have last change. My best guess is the lines will look like this:

Dumont-Briere-Afinogenov

Hecht-Drury-Grier

Kotalik-Connolly-Roy (or Roy might C this line, Connolly has more size and has played W before too)

Vanek-Gustad-Pomenville

Pyatt is the odd man out, at least for now.

Max played with Briere and Dumont some during the final few games, and Max has really looked great down the stretch. The Hecht-Drury-Grier line was together for some stretches this season. Connolly has clearly earned a spot on the top 3 lines, and IMO Roy has as well. Vanek and Pomenville have both been in Lindy's doghouse lately so I don't see either of them being promoted to the #3 line unless it's for performance reasons during the playoffs.

I'm assuming the defense pairings will be essentially the same as we've seen over the last month or so, at least while everyone was healthy. Tallinder and Lydman will be on the ice whenever Forsberg is. The other pairings will be McKee-Campbell and Numminen-Kalinin.

Lindy likes to roll the 4 lines. By putting a "checking" line with Drury, Grier, and Hecht together Lindy would be essentially saying he will not roll lines but will match them instead. While it is a possibility, I don't see the Sabres coming out of the gate that way.

I would expect to see Lindy put his "top" line back together because that makes it a well rounded line that can work in either end.

My guess at the lines we will see is:

Hecht - Briere - Dumont

Roy - Drury - Grier

Kotalik - Connolly - Afinogenov

Vanek - Gaustad - Pominville

and the D combos would be:

Tallinder - Lydman

Kalinen - McKee

Campbell - Numminen.

If things don't go well in game 1 (I expect them to go well, but if they don't) then Pyatt may get Vanek's slot in game 2. I expect the Drury line to start the game as Philly will most likely start with their top guns. I think Lindy will "roll" lines but will attempt to minimize the time the Connolly line is on the ice against the Forsberg line. I also expect Lindy to try to keep Campbell away from Forsberg.

I'm pretty sure I heard Lindy say that Jochen would be back on with Briere and Dumont. This puts Max back on with Connolly and Kotalik -- which gives us, IMHO, 2 very strong and exciting #1-quality scoring lines.

That leaves intact drury-grier-roy and gaustad-vanek-pominville, with both vanek and pominville vulnerable to being dropped in favor of pyatt.

I like all of those combos and I think it makes sense not to shuffle our lines right before the playoffs.

Go Sabres.

Welcome to the board Don. Good post to get started. Got everyone thinking I'm sure. Given the nature of the playoffs and Lindy's habit of tinkering with the lines, I don't think any of your combinations are impossible. But with the way the Sabres are playing, I don't see Ruff making that many dramatic changes for Game 1.

I agree with what's been stated so far, especially with Dave and PA Sabre in terms of the lines.

I think part of my excitement this season is due to the fact that Lindy has done such a superb job this year getting a feel for what's working, and what's not working within the dressing room and on the ice. In a relatively short series, where adjustments might need to be made quickly, I can't think of a coach who is more in tune with what changes could be beneficial.

I grudgingly have to admit that Capt. Kangaroo, er, I mean, Ken Hitchcock is also a great coach, and as good with in game adjustments as he is at preparing his teams. Problem is, Lindy has more tools on his bench to work with. Capt. Kangaroo only has a couple big, slow guns (one with a sore groin).

JUST ABOUT 6 HOURS TIL FACE OFF!

My guess at the lines we will see is:

Hecht - Briere - Dumont

Roy - Drury - Grier

Kotalik - Connolly - Afinogenov

Vanek - Gaustad - Pominville

I like the lines as stated above, because there is size and scoring on every line. The Sabres wingers and defensemen really need to be tough along the boards in their own end when trying to get the puck out.

Archived