So #8

spndnchz

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I trust Chevy and company to know who the BPA available is and if it is Sanderson, draft him. Some think his ceiling is 1st pairing D man. I'd take that over a 2C. I think the Sabres should get a very good center at 8 though.

Shouldn’t we be going BPA by your logic? Why would the Sabres be necessarily getting a C at that spot?

52 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Lots of good centers.

So the Jets should go C? Lol

They are one of the only teams worse off at C currently than Buffalo.

If the theory is “BPA is best for my team” it should hold for others, and if need factors in, the Jets’ need at C is even more dire. 

In terms of need, D is admittedly also an issue for them. They have a lot of holes, they are what their record said, ~20th best - a lower pack team at this point. Their prospect pool is also in the lower half of the league. Lots of problem contracts looming, too, see: Wheeler and Little.

They could do worse than a D man at 10. They are strong at W, and in goal. A winger falling to them as BPA at 10 would be very unfortunate.

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

So the Jets should go C? Lol

They are one of the only teams worse off at C currently than Buffalo.

If the theory is “BPA is best for my team” it should hold for others, and if need factors in, the Jets’ need at C is even more dire. 

In terms of need, D is admittedly also an issue for them. They have a lot of holes, they are what their record said, ~20th best - a lower pack team at this point. Their prospect pool is also in the lower half of the league. Lots of problem contracts looming, too, see: Wheeler and Little.

They could do worse than a D man at 10. They are strong at W, and in goal. 

You mean point a game Wheeler?

Like I said, I'll leave it up to Chevy, he has done better than average at the draft table.

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You mean point a game Wheeler?

Like I said, I'll leave it up to Chevy, he has done better than average at the draft table.

No, not him. I’m talking about the Wheeler they have signed for the next 4 years at 8.25 per. The aged 34-38 Wheeler. The one who dropped from 91 points last season to 65 this year.

I mean, ya they’ll be fine if that’s the only drop he takes.

Edited by Thorny

Wheeler "dropped" from a 1.1 ppg player last season to a .92 ppg player this season.

Last season's D had Buff, Trouba, Myers and Chiarot on it. Take a look at the patchwork D the Jets had this season and it isn't hard to figure out.

He signed a 5 x 8.25m deal that kicked in this season. He is the 7th leading scorer in the league in the last 6 seasons. The guy's missed 6 games in 9 seasons and one of the games he was sat at the end of the season to rest. What should he have been signed to? 8 x 9m like Skinner or six million dollar man Okposo?

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Wheeler "dropped" from a 1.1 ppg player last season to a .92 ppg player this season.

Last season's D had Buff, Trouba, Myers and Chiarot on it. Take a look at the patchwork D the Jets had this season and it isn't hard to figure out.

He signed a 5 x 8.25m deal that kicked in this season. He is the 7th leading scorer in the league in the last 6 seasons. The guy's missed 6 games in 9 seasons and one of the games he was sat at the end of the season to rest. What should he have been signed to? 8 x 9m like Skinner or six million dollar man Okposo?

He "dropped" in production rate by 16 points over 82 games. 

Why are we putting "dropped" in quotations? 

The rest - I'm not arguing he wasn't a splendid player for them. If you think he's going to level out now at even where he fell to this season, at the ages he's approaching, well, Morgan Freeman says Good Luck. 

If he drops by 16 points each of the next two seasons, and even plays 82 games in each, you are looking at a 43 point $8 million dollar man, with 3 years to go. 

Edited by Thorny

I think he should have been traded when he had a year on  his last deal and we would have got a king's ransom for him but that's me.

Laine should be on Scheif's wing, not Wheeler.

I have a feeling Chevy is going to be busy adding players to the roster to address some of the needs. Second center and D help is needed. Signing DeMelo is a must. I'd still like a 1RHD to play with Morrissey and put Demelo on the 2nd pairing and move Pionk in the 1RHD deal.

I'd add to our 10th and Pionk to pry Ekblad out of FL. His NMC kicks in after next season. I'd be happy with Ekblad, DeMelo and Heinola/Poolman on our right side.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

On weighing draft vs trade, there's been more than a few sources indicating this a very strong draft for a few years now:

Edmonton Journal: "2020 NHL draft has most attacking talent of any draft of this century" 5/14/2020

The NHL’s Class of 2020 is packed with attacking talent, more so than any other NHL draft this century.  It has as many as 13 forward prospects who in any other year would most likely be Top 10 picks in the draft.

The Puck Authority: "The Historic Talent of the 2020 Draft" 9/24/18

2020 has the ultra-high-end talent in Alexis Lafreniére, but also has staggering depth to go right alongside him...All of this makes the 2020 class historic. 

SBNation: "Road to 2020: Could this draft get any deeper?"

A #8 pick in a strong draft class with plenty of elite talent to go around is incredibly valuable, and while we'd have to wait a year to three years for that talent to develop, it may be worth the wait.  I'd be more inclined to sell a weaker pick.

2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

On weighing draft vs trade, there's been more than a few sources indicating this a very strong draft for a few years now:

Edmonton Journal: "2020 NHL draft has most attacking talent of any draft of this century" 5/14/2020

A #8 pick in a strong draft class with plenty of elite talent to go around is incredibly valuable, and while we'd have to wait a year to three years for that talent to develop, it may be worth the wait.  I'd be more inclined to sell a weaker pick.

Great.  It means that the Sabres should be able to get a real player in return for the pick.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

99% sure they say that every year 

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I wouldn't. Who could you get at #5 that you might not get at #8 that also is significantly better?

Was wondering the same thing. Drysdale I suppose. Just go full board on chasing that elite defense. 

Rossi is the other guy, but I doubt the Sens move down for a price I'd be willing to pay to get from Lundell/Holtz/Raymond to him. A pick? Probably. 

Should I be more hyped with Rossi? 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

No.  Let's see you suggest that the Jets do that.

I'd be all for that depending what our cost would be. I am thinking it would be significantly more to move from 10th to 5th. I would do our 10, our 2nd in 2021 and Copper if Drysdale is available.

16 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'd be all for that depending what our cost would be. I am thinking it would be significantly more to move from 10th to 5th. I would do our 10, our 2nd in 2021 and Copper if Drysdale is available.

How so you feel about Sanderson, at 8, for Copp? Just him, keep the second. Sanderson is actually really good, I'd be surprised if he didn't end up better than Drysdale actually, now that I've thought about it a bit more. You can tell Chevy we'll have to take Sanderson if he declines the deal, what with losing Pilut on our left side, and all. 

Edited by Thorny

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I think Sanderson is the 2nd best D man in the draft. Drysdale is the only elite one.

I think if one of Drysdale, Rossi or Raymond are available, I would do it.

Copper is our smartest forward defensively. Armia used to be.

Ya I know. I think he's an ideal stop gap 2C. I shudder to think how difficult we'd be to play against if our bottom 2 lines were centered by Copp and Larsson after that.

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Great.  It means that the Sabres should be able to get a real player in return for the pick.

If we're talking Holtz, Sanderson, Lundell, Quinn, I'm with you.  Trade them and take the now-talent.  You'll definitely find a buyer.  But this isn't Casey Mittelstadt or Alex Nylander.

If we're talking Rossi or Perfetti (or better), and there's a very good chance we are, we're talking centers that will likely put up at least 35P their first year, and potentially be 60P+ centers in year two, and more in the future at a fraction of the cap hit of a veteran.  You end up in the rare situation like Provorov being pushed out of the top five in 2015 and being taken by Philly at #7 simply because Eichel, McDavid, Strome, Marner, and Hanifin exist in the same year.  It shouldn't be overlooked.

We still need help on top of this kind of pick for next season, no question.  But I think it's possible to move other pieces, even future 1st round picks, or go bigger in free agency to do that and preserve the pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.