The truly eccentric NHL goalie

PASabreFan

Woke up at 2:45 after going to bed early. I was screwed. Lay awake for a couple of hours and got to thinking about how I wished I had become an NHL goalie, and a truly eccentric one at that.

Things I'd do that I don't think any other NHL goalie has done:

• Have my own "save celly" for spectacular saves. Why can't a goalie celebrate?

• And why can't a goalie celebrate a regulation time goal with his teammates? Just boogie on down and boogie on down. Then do the fist bump line and go home.

• During a TV timeout, go over to the photographers hole in the glass and convince a fan to pass food and or drink to me to consume during the break.

• Or have a staring contest with a fan.

• Stand next to the opposing goalie for the national anthem.

• Or skate up to the anthem singer and ask if he minds if I sing the Canadian anthem. Then sing it. History!

• In an Original Six city, whip off my helmet just before a slapshot from the point, as an homage to the bare-faced tenders of the past.

• Tweet during a stoppage.

I guess I'd ask the ref before some of these antics if I would be getting a penalty. Or maybe not. After all, I'd be eccentric.

Surely some of you have thought about this kind of thing in the wee hours. What would you do?

My favorite things to do while playing goalie:

-lay down on the ice while play is in the other end. Extra points for pretending to nap.

-dance to music, real or in my head

-put my stick on top of the net and try to make saves without it

-taking that a step further, leave blocker and catcher on top of the net too, put arms behind back, and try to make saves with only my legs/torso. That was a favorite with my group of friends in college.

-scream at opposing players near the crease. Get right up behind their ear and just let rip. This works well for me because I'm very loud.

My favorite things to do while playing goalie:

-lay down on the ice while play is in the other end. Extra points for pretending to nap.

-dance to music, real or in my head

-put my stick on top of the net and try to make saves without it

-taking that a step further, leave blocker and catcher on top of the net too, put arms behind back, and try to make saves with only my legs/torso. That was a favorite with my group of friends in college.

-scream at opposing players near the crease. Get right up behind their ear and just let rip. This works well for me because I'm very loud.

I wonder if the pros ever practice without a stick. It happens fairly often in real games.

I did think about antics when my team was in clear control at the other end. Maybe skate into the corner and pretend to pick up a quarter.

I also got to thinking about the way goalies rough up the crease before a period. Is that more superstition than anything? If it actually could prevent a goal by slightly slowing a shot along the ice, shouldn't the practice be illegal? Or is it done for another strategic advantage?

I assume you mean the head head helmet.  If so, I would choose a different head helmet.

I wanted to say this!

I wonder if the pros ever practice without a stick. It happens fairly often in real games.

I did think about antics when my team was in clear control at the other end. Maybe skate into the corner and pretend to pick up a quarter.

I also got to thinking about the way goalies rough up the crease before a period. Is that more superstition than anything? If it actually could prevent a goal by slightly slowing a shot along the ice, shouldn't the practice be illegal? Or is it done for another strategic advantage?

I wanted to say this!

I always roughed up the ice so it would be a little less slippery when sliding in the butterfly.

One thing I used to do was take the snow that builds up and pack it against the posts. It would let me get a better seal with my skate against the post and keep pucks from sneaking through.

I always roughed up the ice so it would be a little less slippery when sliding in the butterfly.

One thing I used to do was take the snow that builds up and pack it against the posts. It would let me get a better seal with my skate against the post and keep pucks from sneaking through.

Can you get to Boston in the next hour and give Lehner that last tip?

No kidding. It was the first thing I thought of the other night when that squeaker went in.

It would be illegal under NHL rule 67.3.

"A goalkeeper shall be assessed a minor penalty when he

deliberately piles up snow or obstacles at or near his net that, in the

opinion of the Referee, would tend to prevent the scoring of a goal."

I'd like to see the eccentric goalie trade sticks with one of his d-men on the PP, tell him to "cover me", and then skate it up ice and captain the PP.  Or in the case of tonight's game, take his water bottle and give Marchand a healthy squirt in the eyes coming through the crease. Or in any case with Lehner and on a breakaway, hide about 3 pucks in his equipment and throw them on the ice at the shooter as that's the only way he'll ever stop one.

I'd like to see the eccentric goalie trade sticks with one of his d-men on the PP, tell him to "cover me", and then skate it up ice and captain the PP. Or in the case of tonight's game, take his water bottle and give Marchand a healthy squirt in the eyes coming through the crease. Or in any case with Lehner and on a breakaway, hide about 3 pucks in his equipment and throw them on the ice at the shooter as that's the only way he'll ever stop one.

The first intermural team I played on in college had a goalie who liked to do stuff like that. We were awful so every game was a blowout, so by the 3rd period we'd just start goofing around with the other team. Our goalie would come out and take faceoffs or lead the rush out of the zone from his own net.

I'd like to see the eccentric goalie trade sticks with one of his d-men on the PP, tell him to "cover me", and then skate it up ice and captain the PP.  Or in the case of tonight's game, take his water bottle and give Marchand a healthy squirt in the eyes coming through the crease. Or in any case with Lehner and on a breakaway, hide about 3 pucks in his equipment and throw them on the ice at the shooter as that's the only way he'll ever stop one.

It might be OK as long as he didn't play the puck or check anyone beyond the red line. This usually isn't an issue with the Sabres.

27.7 Participating in the Play Over the Center Red Line - If a goalkeeper

participates in the play in any manner (intentionally plays the puck or

checks an opponent) when he is beyond the center red line, a minor

penalty shall be imposed upon him. The position of the puck is the

determining factor for the application of this rule.

It might be OK as long as he didn't play the puck or check anyone beyond the red line. This usually isn't an issue with the Sabres.

Had forgotten about that and then there's this ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429QFwN8Yy4

AKA the Gary Smith rule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.