Jim Corsi on attacking the collapsing defence

MattPie

In before the ...

Thanks for posting the link Matt.

I don't like, or understand, Corsi, or any other #fancystats, so I did not read it, but I did open the link.

It doesn't really talk about stats at all, just if the wingers do this, the D should do this, etc. Strategery.

Intriguing

I'm going to watch for this if I can

Same.

I think what you'll see is that opposing teams are not taking us seriously in the defensive zone. They aren't spreading out at all. They know that our forwards wilt under the threat of pressure and will make bad passes, especially up the strong side wall to the point. We blow a ton of offensive zone possession by simply refusing to work the puck behind the net and below the circles. We're a very easy team to keep on the perimeter and we have basically no threat from the high slot (like where Corsi talks about the third forward kinda hanging, moving around between the top of the strong side circle and the high slot splitting the defenders and drawing the weak side defender out into the slot).

No one is buying what we're selling. 

This is a great read.  Thanks for sharing it.

First, I see the #1 scenario all the time now.  Look at Okposo's goal the other night from Wilson.  Wilson out of the corner to Okposo standing in the circle.  I see other teams do it far more often.

You guys should see all of it tonight against the Sabres.  The #3 attack explains a lot of goals.  How many times do we hear Rob Ray talking about the D watching the puck carrier behind the net?

The last thing I liked was #2.  It talks about spreading out the coverage.  When we discussed the concept of opening up the ice by allowing players to go all the way back to the red line without offsides I brought up the idea that the D could sit just a bit higher than the blue line and that would open up the ice more.  In this scenario they are pinching the wall and the 3rd forward is sitting high up. 

Without it having been written down I know I've been seeing this tactic quite a bit from teams in games.  I just never identified it as being such a targeted effort and more just reading the D zone coverage. 

Again.. great read.  Thanks for sharing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.