Do We Scout Enough In WNY?

GASabresIUFAN

Wpg has about 200 people.  When you look at the area from Erie PA to Southern Ontario to Syracuse you are talk millions of people and thousands of young players.  

However, the point about the numbers of players from this area not being significant is a fact and one I agree with.  I also agree (and wrote that in the initial post) that location can't be the determinate factor.  All I'm asking for is for it to be a consideration.  Although I can't find the data, my guess is that youth hockey in WNY has grown significantly since I played in the Amherst Rec leagues and Nichols in the late 70s early 80s.  The next Patrick Kane is coming.  I'm also not only talking about Buffalo kids, but also players with local ties such as former Canisus and Niagara players etc..  Right now there are 25 guys in the NHL who are from New York state, 12 are from Syracuse to Buffalo.  Considering that only 120 people born in NY have played in the NHL and over 20% are currently active, that shows how much the game has grown here.  

I guess my real point is, what makes you think that they haven't been scouting WNY? Just because they haven't drafted those specific guys that you mentioned? Thats not really enough for me. The Sabres have sucked at drafting in general for a while, scouting one specific location has nothing to do with it, IMO.

Goalies Leggio and Knapp are two recent locals that got a look in ROC I assume in part because they were locals.  I love the idea and agree we should know our guys better. The 2002(U15) Buffalo Jr Sabres are currently 2nd in the country.  From 02 and younger that is the Org to play at now.  Pegula did good there w/ Harbor Center, etc.  So, hopefully better things to come.  

We probably scout plenty around here. But let's face the facts: There simply aren't as many kids here playing hockey at a high enough level as there are across large swaths of Canada and even the US. I know we love to call ourselves a hockey town, but we're not nearly as hockey crazy as most of Canada and a lot of the more northern and coastal US states. We're just not spitting out the highest quality talent at a high volume to expect a constant stream of WNY kids into the NHL. It's why the ones from here who are special tend to get noticed. They stick out like sore thumbs. You can't be NHL bound around here without everyone knowing about you by the time you're in high school. 

We probably scout plenty around here. But let's face the facts: There simply aren't as many kids here playing hockey at a high enough level as there are across large swaths of Canada and even the US. I know we love to call ourselves a hockey town, but we're not nearly as hockey crazy as most of Canada and a lot of the more northern and coastal US states. We're just not spitting out the highest quality talent at a high volume to expect a constant stream of WNY kids into the NHL. It's why the ones from here who are special tend to get noticed. They stick out like sore thumbs. You can't be NHL bound around here without everyone knowing about you by the time you're in high school. 

We are 2nd behind MN from my homer view, or maybe 3rd behind Detroit.  Ok top 5 if you include Chicago.   

http://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2017&a=4&v=119

This is for 15 years olds, 2 in top 10.

1 - MN

2 - Buf 

3 - Detroit

4 - CT

5 - St Louis

6 - Chi

7 - Detroit

8- Roc (pulling from SYR too)

9 - Wisconsin

10 - MN

These teams battle the top Ontario teams and win their fair share.  Ie the Jr Sabres beat #1 team in Canada 4-0 back in Sept http://myhockeyrankings.com/team_info.php?y=2017&t=4115

The current U18 USA team on the other hand, I don't think we have anyone from NY  Versus Olympics a few years ago where we had 5 or 6 from NY.

All said, I agree w/ the point that Ontario has more depth.  

And Brock Boeser, and EJ Manual, and...

First we never got to pick Boeser, that is a trade that makes me sad.  

EJ Manuel was a terrible front office making yet another terrible pick of a terrible QB who was grade out at a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Sorry I'm not sorry. When you spend as much time reading draft reports and digging up highlight videos as I do, you get excited about players. You see the potential. Alex Wennberg, man I wish he had fallen to us in but Columbus got him a pick before. But then there are guys like Cliff Pu who I didn't pay a lot of attention to who I am thrilled we took over the guys I looked at in the 3rd. It is all just part of the fun of reading the draft stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.