This Team

CGorman

Well ya, that's why I said winning in preseason doesn't matter you want to see glimmers of hope and surprise stand outs. Look over the whole board, where is the thread discussing that guy who is wowing us in preseason? There isn't one. Mostly a lot of don't panic yet, and it's only preseason threads.

There was a game on the other night Chicago and Boston. Boston came out flying. This guy Bjork - a fifth rounder - looked really good. Boston fans have to be excited over him. And McAvoy - holy .... this guy was all over the ice, looks like a new Ray Bourque. There's hope there. Reasons for their fans to think they will be better than last year.

I wanted just a little bit of that feeling, that's all.  

^ I think that's fair.

Look at the battles we have going on in camp right now. That open RW slot on the third line seems to be boiling down to who plays themselves out of contention, rather than someone jumping up and seizing it in an impressive way. Bailey is slotted there currently. What has Bailey done in camp to beat out everyone else in the running and seize what should be a coveted spot in the top 9, riding shotgun to a number 2 overall pick centre?

The defensive battles are basically coming down to a war of attrition.

I don't think it's being pessimistic to say what you are, that there hasn't been many eye-popping performances in camp from guys after that brass ring.

Well ya, that's why I said winning in preseason doesn't matter you want to see glimmers of hope and surprise stand outs. Look over the whole board, where is the thread discussing that guy who is wowing us in preseason? There isn't one. Mostly a lot of don't panic yet, and it's only preseason threads.

There was a game on the other night Chicago and Boston. Boston came out flying. This guy Bjork - a fifth rounder - looked really good. Boston fans have to be excited over him. And McAvoy - holy .... this guy was all over the ice, looks like a new Ray Bourque. There's hope there. Reasons for their fans to think they will be better than last year.

I wanted just a little bit of that feeling, that's all.

I think a reason we don't see that yet is because what Housley is asking them to do in these games. He's implementing hours system and it's radically different. Each game I see the regulars working on zone entries or puck support.

^ I think that's fair.

Look at the battles we have going on in camp right now. That open RW slot on the third line seems to be boiling down to who plays themselves out of contention, rather than someone jumping up and seizing it in an impressive way. Bailey is slotted there currently. What has Bailey done in camp to beat out everyone else in the running and seize what should be a coveted spot in the top 9, riding shotgun to a number 2 overall pick centre?

The defensive battles are basically coming down to a war of attrition.

I don't think it's being pessimistic to say what you are, that there hasn't been many eye-popping performances in camp from guys after that brass ring.

That 3rd line RW slot belongs to Griffith for now.

I'm reservedly optimistic Housley's system will generate more offense, however from the preseason games at least, they still need a ton of work in the d-zone. They still look like they're killing a penalty when the other team has possession, which won't help their shots against.

I've said it numerous times here, this team won't sniff the playoffs until they drastically reduce shot attempts against. I've seen nothing thus far in the preseason that would suggest they've made an improvement in that aspect.... so my expectations out of the gate are extremely low.

I'm reservedly optimistic Housley's system will generate more offense, however from the preseason games at least, they still need a ton of work in the d-zone. They still look like they're killing a penalty when the other team has possession, which won't help their shots against.

I've said it numerous times here, this team won't sniff the playoffs until they drastically reduce shot attempts against. I've seen nothing thus far in the preseason that would suggest they've made an improvement in that aspect.... so my expectations out of the gate are extremely low.

Its gonna take time.  I see them being still fairly mechanical at this point, where at least 1 guy on every shift is thinking remember that he has to move up faster and trying to figure out how far and when... On D, the same thing is happening still and it looks awkward, then there are moments where they all just go... gonna take time for each player to feel free... the Blysma cloud is still hanging around and sometime they forget there are no ropes that bind them.  To quote the Shawshank Redemption, they..."can't even take a piss without permission," even when they don't need to anymore...

Is almost everyone here on some special drug when they watch Nylander?

I watched him closely during the prospects camp, and he was lucky if he was in the top 10 players in that camp, when he should've been number one and showing everyone up.

Also watched him with the Amerks last season. Granted, the team was a butthole, but he should've been shining.

Are you guys seeing something that I am not seeing, or are you all just being extra hopeful that he isn't a bust???

I do think the nucleus of Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, Mittlestadt, and Nylander will be stronger than that of Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, Talley, and Reed. I know they're different sports but hockey gets the edge because it's half the amount of guys you need to fill around the core.

In terms of Sabres history, the 05-06 core was the strongest one I've ever seen. Much stronger than the 99 team (remember they finished 4th in the division that year and rode a hot Hasek through the playoffs). The 99 team didnt have a run before or after that year while the post lockout Sabres has deep runs both years they were together (what could have been if they had more than two years?).

The French Connection Sabres are probably around where this team could be. Strong team from drafted players. If we are now in an era similar to the Perrault years, things are about to get fun.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, the 98 Sabres went to the conference finals and lost to the Caps.  99 Sabres "lost" to the Stars, however, from 96-01 we were in the playoffs, I would argue that team was as good as the Drury-Briere team, of course one team was all defense and historic goaltending while the other was explosive offense with very good goaltending.

There have been several great era's, I wasn't alive for the French Connection, but I started watching when Mogilny came in, LaFontaine, Hawerchuk, Andreychuk, that was an awesome era as well.

Is almost everyone here on some special drug when they watch Nylander?

I watched him closely during the prospects camp, and he was lucky if he was in the top 10 players in that camp, when he should've been number one and showing everyone up.

Also watched him with the Amerks last season. Granted, the team was a butthole, but he should've been shining.

Are you guys seeing something that I am not seeing, or are you all just being extra hopeful that he isn't a bust???

He's shown nothing yet on the ice, I think a lot of fans got all excited when they saw how he put on extra muscle and figured he'd take the next step, which he probably will, just not this year.  Getting hurt right at the start of pre-season didn't help either

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.