31 Teams, 31 Days - Catching Up to Start the Season

Randall Flagg

I noticed that there were Carey Price days left until the start of the regular season, and I did more homework than I anticipated yesterday and still have 2 more days after this class-free, so I thought I'd take some time today to do a little write up on other hockey teams to get myself and Sabrespace ready to go come October. I'll just go in alphabetical order, focusing on one team per day, taking us to the first NHL game. We can talk about them, make predictions, whatever. It's sorta like how the Hockey News does it but I'm probably leaving things out. Projected lineups come from fan-approved lists in a similar thread on hfboards (that gathers projected lineups only for all 31 teams). Days when I have time I'll get ahead on making these, but I'll still only post one per day. 

Anaheim Ducks

Record last season: 46-23-13, 105 points, 1st in the Pacific

Playoffs: lost in WCF to Nashville 4-2

Coach: Randy Carlyle

GM: Bob Murray

Captain: Ryan Getzlaf

GF: 220 (18th)
GA: 197 (3rd)
PP: 18.7% (17th)
PK: 84.7% (4th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Rakell (33)

2.) Eaves (32) O.o (21 for Dallas, 11 for ANA)

3.) Silfverberg (23)

4.) Kesler (22)  

5.) Perry (19)

Top 5A:

1.) Ryan Getzlaf (58)

2.) Ryan Kesler (36)

3.) Corey Perry (34)

4.) Cam Fowler (28)

5.) Jakob Silfverberg (26)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Ryan Getzlaf (73)

2.) Ryan Kesler (58)

3.) Corey Perry (53)

4.) Rickard Rakell (51)

5.) Jakob Silfverberg (49)

Key Additions: Ryan Miller (G), Derek Grant © (heh)
Key Losses: Ryan Garbutt (W), Jonathan Bernier (G), Clayton Stoner (D), Shea Theodore (D) Nate Thompson ©

Projected Lineup:

Nick Ritchie - Ryan Getzlaf - Patrick Eaves

Rickard Rakell - Ryan Kesler* - Corey Perry 

Andrew Cogliano - Andrew Vermette - Jakob Silfverberg

Ondrej Kase - Dennis Rasmussen - Logan Shaw
Chris Wagner

*Kesler is likely out for a while to start the season.

Cam Fowler - Josh Manson

Hampus Lindholm* - Brandon Montour

Francois Beauchemin - Sami Vatanen

Bieksa, Jacob Larsson

Vatanen, Lindholm also injured. 

John Gibson
Ryan Miller

Top Prospects we might/might not see (in THN's order)

Larsson is a 20 year old defender taken in round 1 of '15, and they're almost as high on him as they were on Theodore. Should get playing time this year.
Max Jones is a 19 year old LW drafted in the first round this past draft. 
Sam Steele, 19 year old center also taken in the 1st round this year. 

Maxime Comtois, 2nd round 2017. LW.

Josh Mahura, a D. Drafted in 3rd round, 2016. 

My thoughts:

The Ducks should be strong again this season, and could very well win playoff rounds, largely on the back of their defense (which managed to keep everyone but Theodore, still a prospect). Corey Perry is likely going to continue his downward spiral (Ducks fans often complained that not only was he not as productive, he was actively hindering the team when on the ice). Getzlaf is still a premiere center in the league, and Kesler is an elite #2C who plays ugly, effective defensive hockey and can put up points. Rakell was a revelation with underrated hands and finishing abilities. Vermette played okay as a 3C (unlike in Chicago and Arizona) and they should be able to roll 3 effective lines with everyone healthy. Their defense, again, is their main focal point and it's one of the top 3-5 units in the league. I don't know if they'll finish ahead of Edmonton again, but I think they're one of the top 2 teams in that division (but better win fast - time is catching up with them). 

I'm going to do the next team tonight too, since this was supposed to be posted 9/3. 

Arizona Coyotes

Record last season: 30 - 42 - 10, 70 points, 6th in the Pacific

Playoffs: None

Coach: Rick Tocchet (The one that got away ;) )

GM: John Chayka, analytics extraordinaire 

Captain: None at the moment

GF: 191 (27th)
GA: 258 (28th)
PP: 16.2% (26th)
PK: 77.3% (27th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Radim Vrbata (20)

2.) Tobias Rieder (16)

3.) Martin Hanzal (16)

4.) Christian Dvorak (15)

5.) Brendan Perlini (14)

Top 5A:

1.) Radim Vrbata (35)

2.) Alex Goligoski (30)

3.) Max Domi (29)

4.) Oliver Ekman-Larsson (27)

5.) Shane Doan (21)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Radim Vrbata (55)

2.) Oliver Ekman-Larsson (39)

3.) Max Domi (38, in 59 GP)

4.) Alex Goligoski (36)

5.) Tobias Rieder (34)

Key Additions: Derek Stepan (Center), Nicklas Hjalmarsson (D), Antti Raanta (G)
Key Losses: Mike Smith (G), Radim Vrbata (W), Connor Murphy (D), Anthony DeAngelo (D), Alex Burmistrov (Center), Peter Holland (Center), Josh Jooris (Center)

Projected Lineup:

Max Domi - Derek Stepan - Anthony Duclair

Brendan Perlini - Christian Dvorak - Clayton Keller

Jamie McGinn - Dylan Strome - Tobias Rieder

Brad Richardson - Nick Cousins - Jordan Martinook 

OEL - Nicklas Hjalmarsson

Alex Goligoski - Adam Clendening

Kevin Connauton - Luke Schenn

Jakob Chychrun (injured for a while)

Antti Raanta

Louis Domingue

Top Prospects:

Clayton Keller, forward. Taken one spot before Alex Nylander. Dynamic. Voted the best prospect outside the NHL this past summer by the hfboard posters, whatever that means. I agree with it. Best chance to be that team's superstar. Will play and could be in contention for Calder. 

Dylan Strome, Center. We know this guy, and we were right to be afraid of not finishing last. 

Christian Fischer, RW, taken in the 2nd round of 2015. 

Pierre-Olivier Joseph, defense, taken in the first round this past draft. 

Nick Merkley, RW, taken with the last pick in the 1st round in 2015. 

My thoughts: The Coyotes have been lost recently, getting horrible lottery luck while they were at it. OEL's prime is being wasted away and he's approaching the end of his contract, so they need to start winning fast to keep that guy on board. This season is essentially a full influx of all of their young talent - Strome, Keller, Dvorak, Domi, Duclair, Perlini all playing fairly big roles, and Chychrun doing the same when he gets back from his injury. He was a pleasant surprise last year, and a top 4 of Hjalmarsson-OEL-Chychrun-Goligoski is downright respectable. Stepan is the best center they've had in a while, and I really really like Dvorak. If Strome takes the steps they need him to this could be the nucleus of a very good team. They need to hope for Raanta following Talbot's Ranger-backup path. The team could see a poor-man's Maple Leafs 2016 season and surprise with mid to high 80 points but I have a hard time seeing that happen, much less a playoff run. They are still far too young. They definitely have a bright future though if they can sort out all of the arena stuff that I don't read into and couldn't tell you about. 

So, feel free to talk about these teams or whatever, and I'll do Boston on 9/5/17. 

BostoBruins

Record last season: 44-31-7, 95 points, 3rd in Atlantic 

Playoffs: Lost 4-2 in first round to Ottawa

Coach: Bruce Cassidy 

GM: Don Sweeney

Captain: Zdeno Chara

GF: 232 (13th)
GA: 209 (9th)
PP: 21.7% (7th)
PK: 85.7% (1st)

Top 5 G:

1.) Brad Marchand (39)

2.) David Pastrnak (34)

3.) David Krejci (23)

4.) Patrice Bergeron (21)

5.) David Backes (17)

Top 5A:

1.) Brad Marchand (46)

2.) Torey Krug (43)

3.) David Pastrnak (36)

4.) Patrice Bergeron (32)

5.) David Krejci (31)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Brad Marchand (85)

2.) David Pastrnak (70)
3.) David Krejci (54)

4.) Patrice Bergeron (53)

5.) Torey Krug (51)

Key Additions: Paul  Postma (D)
Key Losses: Dominic Moore ©, Joe Morrow (D), Collin Miller (D)

Projected Lineup:

Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - David Pastrnak

Anders Bjork - David Krejci - David Backes

Matt Beleskey - Ryan Spooner - Frank Vatrano

Sean Kurlay - Noel Acciari - Riley Nash 

Zdeno Chara - Brandon Carlo

Torey Krug - Adam McQuaid

Kevan Miller - Charlie McAvoy

Tuukka Rask

Anton Khudobin

Top Prospects:

Charlie McAvoy, D, 14th overall in 2016. This guy is a stud and will be one of their anchors for a long time. Voted a top 6 prospect outside of the NHL on that neutral poll I mentioned just a year after being deemed the 14th best player from that one draft. He deserves it and is in my top 5.

Zach Senyshyn, RW, 15th overall in 2015. Solid forward prospect, but a part of their underwhelming 3 selections in the first round of the Eichel draft. 

Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, C, 2nd round 2015. Well-rounded player. 

Ryan Lindgren, D, 2nd round 2016. 

Jakub Zboril, D, first round 2015. Inconsistent, will be an NHL player though. 

My thoughts: Boston made virtually no changes to their lineup from last year. They could have won that Senators series with a couple of bounces and would have been a tough matchup for NYR - this team is one that can be in the ECFs with some luck. They're also a few injuries away from missing the playoffs. It's a good spot to be in, because if they can hit on a few more picks like Pastrnak and McAvoy they will not need to bottom out to rebuild. Just a year ago their demise was predicted because of their defense, and Krug broke out for a huge season, Carlo was a tremendous rookie, and McAvoy was brilliant, and now it looks to be a strength going forward. They just need to find and grow some centers before Bergeron and Krejci, both in their early 30s, get too old. Marchand will likely flirt  with the top 5 in scoring again and is a huge reason why their PK is so good and so dangerous. This will be Cassidy's first full season with the team, so he'll need to hang onto the locker room and prove himself in the wake of one of the best coaches in franchise history. 

Boston gives me hope, because I don't think a healthy Sabres lineup is that much worse than theirs. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Last training camp, no one would have predicted the types of seasons had by Marchand and Pastrnak.

But these breakthroughs seem to happen in Boston on a regular basis.

Why can't this ever be us?

Seriously, when was the last time this happened? Tyler Myers?

Buffalo Sabres

Record last season: 33-37-12, 78 points, LAST in the Atlantic

Coach: Phil Housley

GM: Jason Botterill

Captain: TBD

GF: 199 (24th)
GA: 231 (20th)
PP: 24.5% (1st)
PK: 77.6% (25th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Evander Kane (28)

2.) Jack Eichel (24)

3.) Ryan O'Reilly (20)

4.) Kyle Okposo (19)

5.) Sam Reinhart (17)

Top 5A:

1.) Rasmus Ristolainen (39)

2.) Ryan O'Reilly (35)

3.) Jack Eichel (33)

4.) Sam Reinhart (30)

5.) Kyle Okposo (26)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Jack Eichel (57)

2.) Ryan O'Reilly (55)

3.) Sam Reinhart (47)

4.) Rasmus Ristolainen (45)
5.) Kyle Okposo (45)

Key Additions: Jason Pominville (RW), Benoit Pouliot (LW), Marco Scandella (D), Viktor Antipin (D), Nathan Beaulieu (D), Jacob Josefson ©, Chad Johnson (G)
Key Losses: Marcus Foligno (LW), Tyler Ennis (LW), Anders Nilsson (G), Dmitry Kulikov (D), William Carrier (LW)

Projected Lineup:

Evander Kane - Jack Eichel - Sam Reinhart 

Benoit Pouliot - Ryan O'Reilly - Kyle Okposo 

Zemgus Girgensons - Johan Larsson - Jason Pominville 

Evan Rodrigues - Jacob Josefson - Matt Moulson 

Justin Bailey, Nick Baptiste, Nic Deslauriers

Marco Scandella - Rasmus Ristolainen

Jake McCabe - Zach Bogosian 

Nathan Beaulieu - Viktor Antipin

Josh Gorges

Robin Lehner

Chad Johnson

Top Prospects we might/might not see (in THN's order)

We know these guys. Nylander and Mittelstadt highlight the forwards (ranked 25 & 26 in that hfboards poll I mentioned) with Asplund not too far behind. Guhle is the notable name on D. Ullmark looks to get another season as the starter on a hopefully much more stable Rochester team.

My thoughts:

Don't skewer me for this lineup, it's just a logical ordering based on veterans and known past line combinations. Since I can't be sure which rookies make the team, I just left them in a list at the end. I'm positive at least one does. The point totals on this team last year are quite frankly pathetic and I expect much better across the board. I hope for much improved even strength play. I don't have much else to say that hasn't been said a million times, and I probably shouldn't have even done one for Buffalo, but they're included in the 31 teams sooooooooo. LET'S GO BUFFALO

And objectively, this team could surprise and grow, but it could very well end up 7th or 8th in the division again. There were no huge improvements and we were last last season. At least they aren't guaranteed to finish there like they could have been. 

Also I posted this in the early morning hours because Wednesday and Monday are the busiest days of the week for me. 

Calgary Flames

Record last season: 45-33-4, 94 points, 4th in the pacific (2nd last WC slot)

Playoffs: Lost 4-0 in the first round to Anaheim (who has dominated them for years)

Coach: Glenn Gulutzan

GM: Brad Treliving

Captain: Mark Giordano 

GF: 222 (17th)
GA: 219 (14th)
PP: 20.2% (10th)
PK: 81.6% (12th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Sean Monahan (27)

2.) Mikael Backlund (22)

3.) Johnny Gaudreau (18)

4.) Michael Frolik (17)

5.) Kris Versteeg (15)

Top 5A:

1.) Johnny Gaudreau (43)

2.) Dougie Hamilton (37)

3.) Matthew Tkachuk (35)

4.) Sean Monahan (31)

5.) Mikael Backlund (31)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Johnny Gaudreau (61)

2.) Sean Monahan (58)

3.) Mikael Backlund (53)

4.) Dougie Hamilton (50)

5.) Matthew Tkachuk (48)

Key Additions: Travis Hamonic (D), Mike Smith (G), Eddie Lack (G)
Key Losses: Brian Elliott (G), Chad Johnson (G), Lance Bouma (F), Deryk Engelland

Projected Lineup:

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Michael Ferland

Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik 

Kris Versteeg - Sam Bennett - Troy Brouwer

Mark Jankowski - Matt Stajan - Curtis Lazar

Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton

TJ Brodie - Travis Hamonic 

Brett Kulak - Michael Stone

Mike Smith

Eddie Lack 

Top Prospects:

Mark Jankowski, F. Don't know a thing about him except for that Flames fans have been announcing his imminent breakout season since 2007 it seems like. 
Juuso Valimaki, the D they drafted in 2016. He could be a good one. 
Rasmus Andersson, another D, from 2015. Another solid defensive prospect for an organization loaded there. 

John Gillies, a promising young goalie. 
Oliver Kylington, the free-falling defensemen that occupied 2015 mock draft top 10 spots before the season began.

My thoughts: 

The Flames have a solid team that's sort of weak on forward depth, incredible (top 5 and arguably top 3) on defense, with a history of absolutely horrendous goaltending. Whether it's the various systems that bring down the goaltending (Elliot was damn good the season before with St. Louis) or just those goalies being exposed (St. Louis's system propped up goaltenders) it has been their Achilles heel. I think the Mike Smith signing will either be brilliant or a disaster. He's had great seasons and seasons full of those moments where he plays the puck from behind the net in OT directly to the other team who buries it. If the goaltending move does hold up and give them at least league average goaltending, their defense alone is enough to make the playoffs. Brodie and Giordano are legitimate top 2 guys, and Hamilton was one last year. Hamonic is still a good 2nd pairing guy and Stone would be most teams' number 4. They're one of the only teams in the NHL with guys playing below their abilities. Johnny Gaudreau is a star, but he isn't a superstar, and there's a lot of Meh around him. Monahan is a 1C I'd rather have as my 2C, Backlund had a great season, Bennett was terrible but got bad usage. It'll be interesting to see how Tkachuk develops. If he and Bennett become 50-60 point guys then their top six looks a lot better, and I could see them being a team that regularly plays in round 2 and sometimes squeaks to a WCF. But right now I see a bunch of 1 and dones in their future. 

CarolinHurricanes

Record last season: 36-31-15, 87 points, 7th in the Metro

Coach: Bill Peters

GM: Ron Francis

Captain: None

GF: 212 (20th)
GA: 230 (18th)
PP: 17.7% (21st)
PK: 84.2% (6th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Jef Skinner (37)

2.) Sebastian Aho (24)

3.) Justin Faulk (17)

4.) Victor Rask (16)

5.) Jordan Staal (16)

Top 5A:

1.) Elias Lindholm (34)

2.) Victor Rask (29)

3.) Jordan Staal (29)

4.) Jaccob Slavin (29)

5.) Teuvo Teravainen (27)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Jeff Skinner (63)

2.) Sebastian Aho (49)

3.) Elias Lindholm (45)

4.) Victor Rask (45)

5.) Jordan Staal (45)

Key Additions: Justin Williams (RW), Marcus Kruger ©, Josh Jooris ©, Trevor van Riemsdyk (D), Scott Darling (G)
Key Losses: Eddie Lack (G), Ryan Murphy (D), Matt Tennyson (D)

Projected Lineup:

Sebastian Aho - Jordan Staal - Elias Lindholm

Teuvo Teravainen - Victor Rask - Justin Williams

Jeff Skinner - Derek Ryan - Lee Stempniak 

Joakim Nordstrom - Marcus Kruger - Josh Jooris

Jaccob Slavin - Brett Pesce

Noah Hanifin - Justin Faulk 

Hadyn Fleury - Trevor van Riemsdyk

Scott Darling

Cam Ward

Top Prospects:

Julien Gauthier, first round pick in 2016, RW. 

Martin Necas, first rounder in 2017, RW. 

Jake Bean, first round pick in 2016. Another solid D prospect for them.

Nicolas Roy, 3rd rounder in 2015, ©.

Haydn Fleury, 1st rounder in 2014, D. 

My thoughts: 

Everyone here is probably sick of reading about the Hurricanes so I won't go too crazy. Williams is a nice add. I think Aho is going to be a star. I think their defense is top 5 in the NHL. Their score/venue adjusted Corsi last year was top 7. They look to be a strong-skating possession team again. That division is hellish (they were 7th with almost 90 points). I don't think they make the playoffs this year, it would require the emergence of Darling as a dominant starter and more depth scoring than what they got last year. They're a high end center prospect away from a very bright future with contention. They could squeak into the playoffs and could draft ~7th or 8th overall. 

Carolina is one of those teams where someone brings them up and I say, watch out they're going to be good.

And then I look at their forwards and go "there's no way they can score enough to make the playoffs. And Scott Darling?

Maybe their play against the Sabres makes me think they are better than they are.

Chicago Blackhawks

Record last season: 50-23-9, 109 Points, 1st in the Central

Coach: Joel Quenneville

GM: Stan Bowman

Captain: Jonathan Toews

GF: 240 (9th)
GA: 212 (11th)
PP: 18.0% (19th)
PK: 77.7% (24th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Patrick Kane (34)

2.) Artemi Panarin (31)

3.) Marian Hossa (26)

4.) Artem Anisimov (22)

5.) Richard Panik (22)

Top 5A:

1.) Patrick Kane (55)

2.) Duncan Keith (47)

3.) Artemi Panarin (43)

4.) Jonathan Toews (37)

5.) Brent Seabrook (36)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Patrick Kane (89)

2.) Artemi Panarin (74) 

3.) Jonathan Toews (58)

4.) Duncan Keith (53)

5.) Artem Anisimov (45)

Key Additions: Brandon Saad (LW), Patrick Sharp (LW), Tommy Wingels (LW), Lance Bouma (LW), Connor Murphy (D), Anton Forsberg (G), J-F Berube (G)
Key Losses: Artemi Panarin (LW), Niklas Hjalmarsson (D), Marian Hossa (RW), Marcus Kruger ©, Trevor van Riemsdyk (D), Johnny Oduya (D), Scott Darling (G), Brian Campbell (D)

Projected Lineup:

Brandon Saad - Jonathan Toews - Richard Panik

Tomas Jurco - Artem Anisimov - Patrick Kane 

Patrick Sharp - Nick Schmaltz - Ryan Hartman

Lance Bouma - Tanner Kero - Tommy Wingels 

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook

Michal Kempny - Connor Murphy

Gustav Forsling - Michal Rozsival 

Corey Crawford

Anton Forsberg 

Top Prospects:

Alex Debrincat, RW, 2nd round pick in 2016. Tiny guy with a lot of skills 

Chad Krys, D, 2nd rounder 2016. 

Gustav Forsling, D

Henri Jokiharju, D. 
John Hayden, C, 3rd round in 2013. 

My thoughts: 

Chicago did not take being swept in the first round (and tying the number of playoff wins that the Colorado Avalanche had) well, and traded half their team away. The hope is to reignite the magic that Toews and Saad had back during their last cup season. The team's depth is getting worse and worse as seasons go on, though. Any major injuries to any of Toews, Kane, or Keith will kill their season. But if things go well, they could win their 4th cup in 8 years. I personally am betting against that, the defense is not up to snuff at all behind Keith. Seabrook is a shell of himself and they have 4 bottom pairing guys playing behind him. I continue to think that Crawford is a very, very good goaltender. I just hope we can finally beat these guys. So many close calls over the past two years. 

ColoradAvalanche

Record last season: 22-56-4, 48 Points :O 7th in the Central.

Coach: Jared Bednar

GM: Joe Sakic

Captain: Gabriel Landeskog

GF: 166 (30th)
GA: 278 (30th)
PP: 12.6% (30th)
PK: 76.6% (29th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Mikko Rantanen (20)

2.) Matt Duchene (18)

3.) Gabriel Landeskog (18)

4.) Nathan MacKinnon (16)

5.) Rene Bourque (12)

Top 5A:

1.) Nathan MacKinnon (37)

2.) Tyson Barrie (31)

3.) Matt Duchene (23)

4.) Mikko Rantanen (18)

5.) Gabriel Landeskog (15)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Nathan MacKinnon (53)

2.) Matt Duchene (41)

3.) Tyson Barrie (38)

4.) Mikko Rantanen (38)

5.) Gabriel Landeskog (33)

Key Additions: Colin Wilson (LW), Nail Yakupov (RW), Jonathan Bernier (G), Andrei Mironov (D)
Key Losses: Francois Beauchemin (D), Mikhail Grigorenko ©, Calvin Pickard (G), Patrick Wiercioch (D), Rene Bourque (RW)

Projected Lineup:

Mikko Rantanen - Nathan MacKinnon - Sven Andrighetto

Colin Wilson - Matt Duchene - JT Compher

Gabriel Landeskog - Carl Soderberg - Nail Yakupov

Blake Comeau - Joel Colborne - Matt Nieto 

Nikita Zadorov - Erik Johnson 

Mark Barberio - Tyson Barrie

Chris Bigras - Andrei Mironov

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathan Bernier

Top Prospects:

Tyson Jost, C, taken 10th overall in 2016. 

Cale Makar, D, 4th overall 2017.

AJ Greer, LW, 2nd round pick in 2015. 

Chris Bigras, D, 2nd round 2013. 

JT Compher, we know this guy!

My thoughts: 

...What the hell happened in Colorado last year? If one had taken a time machine from 2013 to look at this lineup, and had been informed of the appropriate values of young players such as Compher, Jost, Rantanen, Zadorov, and Bigras, one would look at that lineup and say "damn, that team looks solid".  But it is a lineup that finished 4 points worse than the worst Sabres tank, somehow, some way. And look at the additions versus losses!!! They didn't even TRY to improve their team in any meaningful way. Unbelievable. Duchene desperately wants out and they haven't moved him yet. They should really get rid of Landeskog and Johnson too. Just rip the bandaid completely off. Get the right people developing Jost and Makar, and get another high pick or two. They are a disgrace right now. On the bright side, Mikko Rantanen will be a much better player than Gabriel Landeskog IMO. Dude is a stud. Colorado fans are in for another nightmare. 

Chicago was not as good as their record last year and didn't improve with their moves.

The core is still good enough to keep them competitive but I will not be surprised if they fail to make the playoffs.

Colorado needs an organizational overhaul. They are where Edmonton was three years ago.

And they are likely to be the wors team in hockey again.

Sorry about how long this one took. And god dammit, I had it 90% done and chrome crashed so I have to do it all again. I just want to go to bed. This team has the hardest names to spell. 
ColumbuBluJackets

Record last season: 50-24-8, 108 Points, 3rd in Metro

Playoffs: Lost 4-1 to Pittsburgh in the 1st round

Coach: John Tortorella

GM: Jarmo Kekalainen

Captain: Nick Foligno

GF: 249 (6th)
GA: 195 (2nd)
PP: 19.9% (12th)
PK: 82.5% (9th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Cam Atkinson (35)

2.) Nick Foligno (26)

3.) Brandon Saad (24)

4.) Boone Jenner (18)

5.) Sam Gagner (18)

Top 5A:

1.) Alexander Wennberg (46)

2.) Zach Werenski (36)

3.) Sam Gagner (32)

4.) Seth Jones (30)

5.) Brandon Saad (29)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Cam Atkinson (62)

2.) Alexander Wennberg (59)

3.) Brandon Saad (53)

4.) Nick Foligno (51)
5.) Sam Gagner (50)

Key Additions: Artemi Panarin (LW), Jordan Schroeder (RW)

Key Losses: Brandon Saad (LW), Sam Gagner (RW), Scott Hartnell (LW), William Karlsson ©, Kyle Quincey (D), Anton Forsberg (G), David Clarkson (RW)

Projected Lineup:

Artemi Panarin - Alexander Wennberg - Nick Foligno

Boone Jenner - Brandon Dubinsky - Cam Atkinson

Matt Calvert - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Oliver Bjorkstrand

Markus Hannikainen - Lukas Sedlak - Josh Anderson

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones

Jack Johnson - David Savard

Ryan Murray - Markus Nutivarra 

Sergei Bobrovsky 

Joonas Korpisalo

Top Prospects:

Pierre-Luc Dubois, the guy they picked over Puljujarvi last year. 

Oliver Bjorkstrand, RW, should get a full season with the big club. 
Gabriel Carlsson, D that they're high on. 

Sonny Milano, huge skill and huge question mark. 

My thoughts: 

I have a hard time deciding whether or not to believe in Columbus this year. I like their depth offensively and defensively long term, but I feel last season's success was a tad unsustainable (they won't win 16 games in a row with regularity). They have some of the characteristic red flag stats and it's hard to rely on goaltenders repeating Vezina seasons. That said, I love the addition of Panarin and while they lost a few good depth pieces, those aren't anything they can't replace from within. I think they should be a playoff team, and being a WC team versus a divisional one might actually help them avoid Pittsburgh for once and give them a better chance at winning their first ever playoff series. 

Long term, Jones-Werenski is drool-worthy, hell it is right now. Savard is very solid, Murray - Nutivarra is as good a third pair as you'll find in the NHL. We'll see if they made the right decision with Dubois. One more top end center could cement these guys as contenders for the long run. 

DallaStars

Record last season: 34-37-11, 79 Points, 6th in the Central

Coach: Ken Hitchcock

GM: Jim Nill

Captain: Jamie Benn

GF: 223 (16th)
GA: 262 (29th)
PP: 17.9% (20th)
PK: 73.9% (30th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Tyler Seguin (26)
2.) Jamie Benn (26)

3.) Patrick Eaves (21)

4.) Brett Ritchie (16)

5.) Jason Spezza (15)

Top 5A:

1.) Tyler Seguin (46)

2.) Jamie Benn (43)

3.) John Klingberg (36)
4.) Jason Spezza (35)

5.) Radek Faksa (21)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Tyler Seguin (72)

2.) Jamie Benn (69)

3.) Jason Spezza (50)

4.) John Klingberg (49)

5.) Patrick Eaves (37)

Key Additions: Martin Hanzal ©, Alexander Radulov (RW), Brian Flynn (RW), Marc Methot (D), Ben Bishop (G)

Key Losses: Patrick Sharp (LW), Cody Eakin ©, Jiri Hudler (RW), Ales Hemsky (RW), Antti Niemi (G)

Projected Lineup:

Jamie Benn - Tyler Seguin - Alexander Radulov

Mattias Janmark - Martin Hanzal - Jason Spezza

Antoine Roussell - Radek Faksa - Brett Ritchie 

Devin Shore - Adam Cracknell - Tyler Pitlick

Marc Methot - John Klingberg

Dan Hamhuis - Julius Honka

Esa Lindell - Stephen Johns

Ben Bishop

Kari Lehtonen

Top Prospects:

Miro Heiskanen, D, great Finnish prospect. 

Julius Honka, D, drafted back in 2014. 

Valeri Nichushkin, RW. Remember him? 
Denis Guryanov, RW, taken in the first round 2015. 

My thoughts: 

Dallas addressed their needs in spades this offseason. Sure, Bishop might be a system goalie that relies on being big. But the system in Dallas will be in his favor under Ken Hitchcock, defensive guru. Look at what he did to St. Louis his first season there, and every season after. Lindell and Johns and Honka are promising prospects that should now flourish. Klingberg is great and Methot is comfortable playing next to Swedish offensive dynamos. Then Hanzal and Radulov come up front, upgrading their top line and depth. Radek Faksa was a find, he's already a great 2 way player that can put up over 30 points and has a higher offensive ceiling. Seguin and Benn are still incredible. I could see this team winning playoff rounds after their best offseason in terms of improving weaknesses in years.

Detroit Red Wings

Record last season: 33-36-13, 79 Points, 7th in the Atlantic

Coach: Jeff Blashill

GM: Ken Holland

Captain: Henrik Zetterberg

GF: 207 (24th)
GA: 244 (25th)
PP: 15.1% (27th)
PK: 80.8% (16th)

Top 5 G:

1.) Tomas Tatar (25)

2.) Andreas Athanasiou (18)

3.) Henrik Zetterberg (17)

4.) Frans Nielsen (17)

5.) Anthony Mantha (17)

Top 5A:

1.) Henrik Zetterberg (51)

2.) Gustav Nyquist (36)

3.) Frans Nielsen (24)

4.) Thomas Vanek (23)

5.) Mike Green (22)

Top 5 PTS:

1.) Henrik Zetterberg (68)

2.) Gustav Nyquist (48)

3.) Tomas Tatar (46)

4.) Frans Nielsen (41)

5.) Thomas Vanek (38)

Key Additions: Trevor Daley (D)

Key Losses: None

Projected Lineup:

Tomas Tatar - Henrik Zetterberg - Anthony Mantha

Dylan Larkin - Frans Nielsen - Gustav Nyquist

Andreas Athanasiou - Darren Helm - Justin Abdelkader 

Tyler Bertuzzi - Luke Glendening - Riley Sheahan 

Danny DeKeyser - Mike Green

Niklas Kronwall - Trevor Daley

Jonathan Ericsson - Nick Jensen

Petr Mrazek

Jimmy Howard 

Top Prospects:

Evgeny Svechnikov, LW, 2015 first round. skilled winger

Michael Rasmussen, C, 9th overall 2017

Dennis Cholowski, D, 1st round 2016

Givani Smith, RW, 2nd round 2016

Tyler Bertuzzi, LW, 2nd round 2013

My thoughts: 

As you can see, there's not a whole lot on that roster or in that cupboard to envy. Their first time out of the playoffs in over 20 years will not be their last time in the bottom ten in the foreseeable future. They were bad and made essentially no changes other than to get older and hope that Larkin gets better. Ken needs to bite the bullet and rebuild. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.