Josh Gorges -- A Keeper?

bob_sauve28

Tanev makes 4.5 per year for the next 3 years.  That is way to much for a 27 year old stay at home D, Who says he is available anyway.  Van needs all the D help they can get.  

As to our needs.  We need an entire 2nd pairing.  Antipin is still unsigned and we have no way of knowing if he is ready to 20 minutes a night in the NHL.  We also can't say for certain if Guhle is NHL ready and even if he is, the new GM (JB) will likely prefer to start him in the minors.  

As to Gorges, he was outplayed by Falk last season.  I'd much rather have him at 7 then Gorges.  I don't see any way Gorges should be in our top 8.  He should never again take the ice in Blue and Gold.  

I'll make an alternative suggestion.  Maybe JB can trade him if we eat 2 mill of his contract.  That gets him gone over less then the buyout, still end the liability after 1 season and clears a roster spot and nearly 2 mill for a better vet play to slot above Falk.

Right now all we truly have is

1) Risto

2) McCabe

3) ???

4) ???

5) Bogo

6) ???

7) Falk

8) Nelson

9) Austin

10) Gorges

If Antipin gets signed and proves ready for 2nd line duty, I'll agree that we need a Scandella/Tanev type to play with him.  I'd like to see Quincey (or similar) in the 6th slot.  I also want to see if what Nelson learned last season about playing NHL D.  I'm not ready to discount his future.

As bad as Josh Gorges was last year, he was better than Casey Nelson.

Yes, but Gorges is on a downward trend and Nelson, who skates well and can support offense still has upside potential and might benefit from a different coach.

Edited by GASabresFan

Lukewarm take alert: If Josh Gorges is skating a regular shift with this team next season, then the team isn't serious about making the playoffs, let alone doing anything once there.

I agree.  Why is there even a discussion?  Need a faster more effective D-man who can actually get an assist once in awhile - having him on the ice 20 minutes per game was ridiculous. 

And Dan Bylsma, late in the season, lauded and praised Gorges as the sort of player Bylsma wanted on his team.... no wonder Bylsma had almost the whole team quit on him. 

To me, the eyeball test and the analytics align well on Gorges. He is at best a 7th D, maybe good in the locker room, at worst he is a 2nd pairing AHL guy.  I tend towards the latter opinion.

If he is on the team next year, something is wrong. Better to buy him out or bury in the AHL and replace with a Fedun/Falk type (maybe Nelson). 

To me, the eyeball test and the analytics align well on Gorges. He is at best a 7th D, maybe good in the locker room, at worst he is a 2nd pairing AHL guy.  I tend towards the latter opinion.

If he is on the team next year, something is wrong. Better to buy him out or bury in the AHL and replace with a Fedun/Falk type (maybe Nelson). 

I'd be surprised if Nelson ever makes it in the NHL 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.