How would things be different if...

Sabre fan

The idea that DD could derail Samson's entire career is luderous.

It depends on what we mean by "derail".

Do you really think it's crazy that a player who will not get substantial time at center will not become the 60-70 point two-way center that he was drafted to be? How can a winger be a center? 

Wingers, especially in this system, need to be fast and win battles on the boards. Samson is not fast and can't do that. His shot was described as a "muffin" by this very coach. His skill set, vision and hockey sense, are best used at the center position, where we can't play him because ROR and Jack are centers, and Samson is top 6. 

2 + 2 = 4.

If you'd like examples of coaches mishandling players - it took until last year for Galchenyuk to be played at center with any regularity in Montreal, and he broke out. He's still having trouble with two-way aspects of the game that could have been rounded out during his 18, or 19, or 20, or 21 year old seasons. This is "derailing" because he spent 4 years out of position and his development curve went wonky. This affects the player's career on the ice and financially. Another example would be Lindy trying to turn Tyler Myers into Zdeno Chara when his skill set clearly showed that he needs to play a Campbell-style game to be effective. How about Alex Ovechkin, becoming the King of minus players, and having his production slip by 40%, for Dale Hunter's brief tenure as Caps head coach? 

Samson is spending his most formative years, his age 19-20 and probably 21 seasons, deflecting pucks and not getting game practice playing his natural position. A bunch of us really want to see that changed because we see the potential in him that had him picked 2nd in his draft. Being a 50-60 point winger is a nice thing to be but it would be a disappointment, especially coupled with the fact that the kid saw about 10 games at center during his first 2 seasons in the NHL.

It depends on what we mean by "derail".

Do you really think it's crazy that a player who will not get substantial time at center will not become the 60-70 point two-way center that he was drafted to be? How can a winger be a center? 

Wingers, especially in this system, need to be fast and win battles on the boards. Samson is not fast and can't do that. His shot was described as a "muffin" by this very coach. His skill set, vision and hockey sense, are best used at the center position, where we can't play him because ROR and Jack are centers, and Samson is top 6. 

2 + 2 = 4.

If you'd like examples of coaches mishandling players - it took until last year for Galchenyuk to be played at center with any regularity in Montreal, and he broke out. He's still having trouble with two-way aspects of the game that could have been rounded out during his 18, or 19, or 20, or 21 year old seasons. This is "derailing" because he spent 4 years out of position and his development curve went wonky. This affects the player's career on the ice and financially. Another example would be Lindy trying to turn Tyler Myers into Zdeno Chara when his skill set clearly showed that he needs to play a Campbell-style game to be effective. How about Alex Ovechkin, becoming the King of minus players, and having his production slip by 40%, for Dale Hunter's brief tenure as Caps head coach? 

Samson is spending his most formative years, his age 19-20 and probably 21 seasons, deflecting pucks and not getting game practice playing his natural position. A bunch of us really want to see that changed because we see the potential in him that had him picked 2nd in his draft. Being a 50-60 point winger is a nice thing to be but it would be a disappointment, especially coupled with the fact that the kid saw about 10 games at center during his first 2 seasons in the NHL.

I think you way over think things. In the end all those players are all who they are. You can talk about how they were used, but has little to nothing to do with who they became. Sam has shown steady improvement and behind Eichel, is probably the player I like to watch the most this year.

The legend of DD's stupidity is approaching mythical status on this board.

Sam Reinhart will be fine.

I do think from what we have seen his year this team has serious potential when all is good and can play with any team on any given night...I also have no doubt Babs would have this team a serious playoff contender and not where it sits today. I think of all the questions I asked at the start not getting Babs was by far the biggest failure...wasn;t Pegula's fault though as they threw lots of money at him...still surprised he (Babcock) would go against a handshake gentleman's agreement and scoot off to TO...

I think you way over think things. In the end all those players are all who they are. You can talk about how they were used, but has little to nothing to do with who they became. Sam has shown steady improvement and behind Eichel, is probably the player I like to watch the most this year.

They are who they are? Even if they are literally playing the wrong position? If it was that simple, why didn't we just shove our PPG wingers into the center positions the co-captains vacated and not miss a beat? The positions are wildly different, and center is a beast to try and play at the NHL level. When kids who played it in juniors and were drafted to play it get about 10 games there through their most formative NHL seasons, things don't end up how they would have anyway. That's crazy talk. Coaches have huge roles in development. Zemgus never getting a system to play in likely plays a huge role in why he's so bad with one now, one that he should do well in. Extreme cases, like Luke Adam? Sure, he was never going to be anything, Lindy or no Lindy. No hockey sense. But you really think Sam Reinhart will have the same effect on this franchise being a small, physically un-intimidating 50 point winger versus what we drafted him to be? It is a different freaking position on the ice.

I agree that people, particularly in the benching Reinhart thread, have been a bit over zealous. But with respect to me, since you're quoting my post, playing one of our prospects in the wrong position for two years combined with a bad system is hardly legendarily-bad coaching behavior. Many NHL coaches do much worse than this. I say that almost every single time I post about Bylsma. These are the only two things that push me over the edge with him, the rest his complaints are virtually guaranteed to show up no matter who is the coach of this team. If you think this is a mythical, legendary story being built up, then humans have not developed words to describe the magnitude of the myth behind our last long-term coach. Remember the micro-analysis of the practice video where he pretended to smack Adam on the head? I really think you're just enjoying being the contrarian and picking out the "hot takes" that stretch beyond reality, which crop up any time a general consensus gets formed concerning a topic in any aspect of life. Check out any political opinion voiced during the last ten years, and you'll see what I mean. Your admission to sometimes trolling for the responses doesn't help me shake this image. I could sit on facebook all day, pick a side, and point out the hyperbole and flat-out stupidity displayed by that side, and develop the opinion that this is how everyone on that side thinks. I just don't think that that's a hill worth dying on, and I don't think it helps me understand the issues any better. 

He already is fine. He's got a shot to be special. Deflecting pucks and mucking won't get him there. He, I'll say the word JJ hates again, is literally not playing the position where he has a chance to be special. 

Ekblad got hurt at the World Cup just before the season started. He had multiple concussions up to that point, they listed his injury at the WC as a 'neck injury'.

Buffalo should not let its players play in outside tournaments. There's hardly any upside except for a little prize at the end for the player and their "national pride", and the downside is we can lose that player for a long time or it might contribute to an Ekblad-like concussion pattern. If a player is injured, it should be just playing for the team. 

They are who they are? Even if they are literally playing the wrong position? If it was that simple, why didn't we just shove our PPG wingers into the center positions the co-captains vacated and not miss a beat? The positions are wildly different, and center is a beast to try and play at the NHL level. When kids who played it in juniors and were drafted to play it get about 10 games there through their most formative NHL seasons, things don't end up how they would have anyway. That's crazy talk. Coaches have huge roles in development. Zemgus never getting a system to play in likely plays a huge role in why he's so bad with one now, one that he should do well in. Extreme cases, like Luke Adam? Sure, he was never going to be anything, Lindy or no Lindy. No hockey sense. But you really think Sam Reinhart will have the same effect on this franchise being a small, physically un-intimidating 50 point winger versus what we drafted him to be? It is a different freaking position on the ice.

I agree that people, particularly in the benching Reinhart thread, have been a bit over zealous. But with respect to me, since you're quoting my post, playing one of our prospects in the wrong position for two years combined with a bad system is hardly legendarily-bad coaching behavior. Many NHL coaches do much worse than this. I say that almost every single time I post about Bylsma. These are the only two things that push me over the edge with him, the rest his complaints are virtually guaranteed to show up no matter who is the coach of this team. If you think this is a mythical, legendary story being built up, then humans have not developed words to describe the magnitude of the myth behind our last long-term coach. Remember the micro-analysis of the practice video where he pretended to smack Adam on the head? I really think you're just enjoying being the contrarian and picking out the "hot takes" that stretch beyond reality, which crop up any time a general consensus gets formed concerning a topic in any aspect of life. Check out any political opinion voiced during the last ten years, and you'll see what I mean. Your admission to sometimes trolling for the responses doesn't help me shake this image. I could sit on facebook all day, pick a side, and point out the hyperbole and flat-out stupidity displayed by that side, and develop the opinion that this is how everyone on that side thinks. I just don't think that that's a hill worth dying on, and I don't think it helps me understand the issues any better. 

He already is fine. He's got a shot to be special. Deflecting pucks and mucking won't get him there. He, I'll say the word JJ hates again, is literally not playing the position where he has a chance to be special.

I'm not being contrarian. I just disagree with you. Reinhart will not be permanently scarred by having suffered DD and I want him on my team when Dan leaves.

"Everything is find. Everyone is the same. Every system is identical. All coaches do the same stuff. NHL hockey has the coaching importance of beer league. Grinding boring hockey gives me orgasms."

--Every SwampD post in response to criticisms of Bylsma.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

"Everything is find. Everyone is the same. Every system is identical. All coaches do the same stuff. NHL hockey has the coaching importance of beer league. Grinding boring hockey gives me orgasms."

--Every SwampD post in response to criticisms of Bylsma.

Every post by the fire DD crew.

Do you really think that Reinhart playing for Bylsma is going to "completely derail his career"? Because that is what I was responding to, not whether or not DD is a dumby head and misusing Samson.

Edited by SmarmD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.