GDT: Capitals @ Sabres 12/9/2016 (7pm est, MSG)

LGR4GM

Maybe. I don't know if there is a way of knowing that. I do know that it's a moot point, though.

The fact is, this is still a bad team that needs to learn how to not be a bad team. I've also stated that I am almost 100% sure that when we are a SC contending team DD won't be the head coach and letting him go and getting someone new will be just the push we need to take that next step. I just think it is way too early in the process for that to happen and it is certainly too early to whine about it every time we lose.

Well this team loses a lot, so prepare for the whining :P 

So, from what I can tell the Sabres hung pretty tough well into the 3rd and finally made it 2 - 1.

This tells me that either they were OK, or the high octane Caps were just toying with them ... cat and mouse like ... until they said enough is enough, with a little help from their friends.

Anyway, who's next.  I'm ready.

GO SABRES!!

I think the main thing is to hope that the line between ploughing along like we are now, and things finally clicking, is a fine one. If Murray has assembled an adequate roster, and it's just a little bit more development, chemistry, and the bounces going our way a tad more that'll get us to the place we want to be, that's one thing. Maybe just some tweaks to the roster, and maybe even a coaching change down the line, like Swamp said.

I'm just hoping that their isn't an inherent deficiency with the roster and "core" Murray has assembled, particularly on defence. As long as we are on the right track, more patience may be warranted.

We really are counting on Nylander's ability to be that top tier finisher for us, I think. The glaring holes on D are even more concerning.

I think the main thing is to hope that the line between ploughing along like we are now, and things finally clicking, is a fine one. If Murray has assembled an adequate roster, and it's just a little bit more development, chemistry, and the bounces going our way a tad more that'll get us to the place we want to be, that's one thing. Maybe just some tweaks to the roster, and maybe even a coaching change down the line, like Swamp said.

I'm just hoping that their isn't an inherent deficiency with the roster and "core" Murray has assembled, particularly on defence. As long as we are on the right track, more patience may be warranted.

We really are counting on Nylander's ability to be that top tier finisher for us, I think. The glaring holes on D are even more concerning.

I actually feel way better about the defence than I did before the season started. Risto has been what I expected, a young stud getting better. Kulikov is also what I expected, a solid top 4 guy.

McCabe has been good, showing that he's skilled and tough enough to play top 4, even as young as he is.

Franson has been so much better than last year, looking like a solid 5 rather than barely a 7.

Gorges is Gorges and Bogosian is hurt. No surprises there.

We still need a #2, and I'd like better/younger talent on the third pairing (Guhle next year?), but I'm pleasantly surprised with how good the D looks.

If Bogo can somehow stay healthy, a top 4 of him, Risto, McCabe, and Kulikov should be good enough to sneak into the playoffs.

The D was probably helped by Bylsma running the NJ Trap while Eichel was out, so we'll see how they progress with our forwards pushing the pace more.

I just don't know what else a coach is supposed to do when the team hits the post 5(?) times and misses gaping wide open nets as often as we do.

I mean, maybe he forgot to tell them, "the puck goes in there," and point to the net.

The complaints aren't based on one game. Sure, a(nother) game in which we lose while scoring one goal was the trigger, but the complaints themselves are rooted in the team's play for over 100 games.

I actually feel way better about the defence than I did before the season started. Risto has been what I expected, a young stud getting better. Kulikov is also what I expected, a solid top 4 guy.

McCabe has been good, showing that he's skilled and tough enough to play top 4, even as young as he is.

Franson has been so much better than last year, looking like a solid 5 rather than barely a 7.

Gorges is Gorges and Bogosian is hurt. No surprises there.

We still need a #2, and I'd like better/younger talent on the third pairing (Guhle next year?), but I'm pleasantly surprised with how good the D looks.

If Bogo can somehow stay healthy , a top 4 of him, Risto, McCabe, and Kulikov should be good enough to sneak into the playoffs.

The D was probably helped by Bylsma running the NJ Trap while Eichel was out, so we'll see how they progress with our forwards pushing the pace more.

A hahaha hahaha.

Hahah ha

Haha

Ha

It's the second to last thing that's most troubling. I see the chances of Bogosian managing to stay healthy as near zero. Like you said, we need a top 2 Dman, and unfortunately those things are very difficult to come by.

But I too have been pleased with the progress of Ristolainen and McCabe. I have liked Kulikov's game as well.

The complaints aren't based on one game. Sure, a(nother) game in which we lose while scoring one goal was the trigger, but the complaints themselves are rooted in the team's play for over 100 games.

A hahaha hahaha.

Hahah ha

Haha

Ha

Heath Ledger... is that you?

Bogo usually misses 20 or so games a year, right? I don't think it's so unreasonable to expect him to be around for most of the remainder of this season.

It's the second to last thing that's most troubling. I see the chances of Bogosian managing to stay healthy as near zero. Like you said, we need a top 2 Dman, and unfortunately those things are very difficult to come by.

But I too have been pleased with the progress of Ristolainen and McCabe. I have liked Kulikov's game as well.

If Risto is a franchise defenseman, and Kulikov and McCabe are legit top-4 guys, the only thing we're really missing is a second RHD to play in the top-4. Not easy to come by, but not as hard to come by as a true #2. I think it's a perfectly viable long term to have a cornerstone #1 and then go committee-style top-4 with the rest. Toss in Guhle covering bottom pair LHD minutes while Kulikov plays out his hypothetical extension...all told McCabe's play has made me reasonably optimistic about the blue line long term. Just have to flip Bogosian into something better.

Heath Ledger... is that you?

Bogo usually misses 20 or so games a year, right? I don't think it's so unreasonable to expect him to be around for most of the remainder of this season.

Don't forget his 20 games of suck upon returning for injury! Honestly though, even if he plays the rest of the year, so you have any confidence whatsoever he'd survive a deep playoff run?

And that's without getting into whether he's good enough when healthy anyway...

If Risto is a franchise defenseman, and Kulikov and McCabe are legit top-4 guys, the only thing we're really missing is a second RHD to play in the top-4. Not easy to come by, but not as hard to come by as a true #2. I think it's a perfectly viable long term to have a cornerstone #1 and then go committee-style top-4 with the rest. Toss in Guhle covering bottom pair LHD minutes while Kulikov plays out his hypothetical extension...all told McCabe's play has made me reasonably optimistic about the blue line long term. Just have to flip Bogosian into something better.

Don't forget his 20 games of suck upon returning for injury! Honestly though, even if he plays the rest of the year, so you have any confidence whatsoever he'd survive a deep playoff run?

You're right, it's a top 4 RHD that we probably need, not a top 2 D man. We have McCabe and Kulikov for the left side in the top 4, then Risto on the right. It's that second pair RHD we need, as Bogosian leaves a gaping hole. No way I count on him to be available for a playoff run. What if that's when his usual 20 games missed kicks in?

I think Bogo is an average #4. With his price tag and how often he's injured, he's not worth keeping around long term. We're definitely agreed on that. Our D group needs work in the offseason, but I'm optimistic that GMTM'll get it done. Edited by qwksndmonster

Well, that was a horrendous game.  Brutally bad - not ONE SINGLE even strength goal scored by the Sabres.  4 goals against by one of the WORST scoring teams in the NHL, and Ovechkin in a scoring slump to boot - only 1 pt in the previous 5 games and no goals scored.      

I was gonna add the consolation prize from this awful loss was  that at least we'd crawled up to 7th in the Atlantic ahead of the Maple Queefs.  But apparently that was only because they'd played fewer games than us.   Now like the Titanic, we're sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic again!  :(

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.