Sabres dont have Jack... help or hurt long term

North Buffalo

I replied in the other thread.

Well more talent is always better than less talent.  But I think Jack is a difference maker.  Him being out exposes the fact that we do not have the top line depth to ice 2 legit scoring lines.  At the end of last year, when ROR was hurt, he and Sam stepped up and lead this team. I think Nylander will a similar asset.  The more weapons the better.

But it also requires that those weapons are used properly.  Where I see a potential issue, is trying to make creative skilled players conform to a system instead of creating a system to get the most of creative skilled players.  When Jack and Kane get back, we will have balance across the top 9.  Right now, we have our 3 best offensive players on the same line. Distribution of those weapons makes the team better and an unlikely lottery winner.  Jmho.

I would add that the thing that impresses me the most about the Leafs under Babcock right now, is that he is not handcuffing his young skill guys.  He knows that they are bad defensively and their only chance of winning is through outpacing the opponent on the offensive end.  His system of quick short passes, cycling and shooting as a pass are allowing the young guys to develop their offensive talent in the bigs while being patient about developing the other side.  He is playing the long game, and is as much fun to watch as Jack and Sam late last year.  

Edited by 3putt

I replied in the other thread.

Well more talent is always better than less talent. But I think Jack is a difference maker. Him being out exposes the fact that we do not have the top line depth to ice 2 legit scoring lines. At the end of last year, when ROR was hurt, he and Sam stepped up and lead this team. I think Nylander will a similar asset. The more weapons the better.

But it also requires that those weapons are used properly. Where I see a potential issue, is trying to make creative skilled players conform to a system instead of creating a system to get the most of creative skilled players. When Jack and Kane get back, we will have balance across the top 9. Right now, we have our 3 best offensive players on the same line. Distribution of those weapons makes the team better and an unlikely lottery winner. Jmho.p

I would add that the thing that impresses me the most about the Leafs under Babcock right now, is that he is not handcuffing his young skill guys. He knows that they are bad defensively and their only chance of winning is through outpacing the opponent on the offensive end. His system of quick short passes, cycling and shooting as a pass are allowing the young guys to develop their offensive talent in the bigs while being patient about developing the other side. He is playing the long game, and is as much fun to watch as Jack and Sam late last year.

Definetly some merritt on coaching but want to stay away from that side of things... other than Nylander do Sabres have and or need another in system or in next year's draft to get them over the hump. This year does not having Jack help the development of the young guys till he gets back? Or do they need another big time stud especially on D but possibly on O. do any of the Murray recruits step up? Edited by North Buffalo

My point is I think we have good assets in Fasching and Baptiste.   Put them together with Samson.  Now you have the ability to generate chances.  Instead of Sam on the wing.  Could we use more?  Sure, everyone can.  But until we are ready to except mistakes of inexperience, we won't maximize our offensive potential.   Add back Jack and Kane and this is a stronger lineup.  Add Nylander it gets stronger.  And we will have a pick in the first and multiples thereafter this year.  Jack is an elite player who can single handedly change an outcome. Sam makes those around them better.  Use them in those roles and we really a better team.  Unfortunately that implicates the person responsible for usage.

I think the organization has enough top pieces to not need another top ten pick. Depth is the problem. There is something wrong if this team drafts high again, and so I think Jack being out is 100% bad for the franchise.

tbf a top 10 picks helps a lot with that depth

In three years, yeah. We need depth guys yesterday.

I disagree on both counts. If we don't rightbthe ship, a high pick will help sooner than later. Nylander could be on the big club by the All Star break. We have the guys you want in Fasching Baptiste Carrier and Bailey. I would rather have any of those guys playing ahead of Dlo or Grant or hell Ennis. They can get better. Will they? Nobody knows for sure, but the others ceilings are apparent. But to do that you have to be willing to ride the rollercoaster. They will make mistakes and they can't be afraid to do so. In the end I think their upside is worth it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.