OT Another attack in France Priest killed in a church

North Buffalo

Been saying for years, it's about politics. ISIS and others like them, use religion as a recruiting tool for soldiers to fight for a political agenda. People who insist on believing it's all about religion are playing right into their strategy. 

Interesting. So maybe ISIS is the Middle East equivalent of the Haliburton neo-cons?

I agree it's about politics. The political agenda is an Islamist Caliphate. There. How'd I do?

I've seen a lot. I'm old. The intellectual contortion around the phrase radical Islam is an example of what I've come to see as the left's preference for shutting down debate. "This is uncomfortable or inconsistent with our view that everyone's a victim. Let's deny it exists and explain that those who don't deny it exists are closed minded bigots."

The Ministry of Truth.

We all have views. I'm sure I disappoint others. Offered in the spirit of knowing where I/we come from and in search of the more perfect Union. Words shouldn't scare us. No conversation should be shut down. Broad generalization - the switch from "the left" being the home of free thinkers to "the left" being the home of rigid orthodoxy is one of the great pivots in my life experience. IMHO, of course.

The president doesn't deny that there are extremist or radical elements within Islam. Please. He is conducting a war on them, and it's probably more effective than most people want to give him credit for. Did you know ISIS has lost half the territory it gained in 2014 and is starting to pivot its PR message to the idea that, hey, it's OK if we don't occupy territory, we'll fight the battle the way we did before? The president's explanation for why he doesn't want to use the adjective "Muslim" before "terrorist" (and all the variations of those terms) is a sound one. But it's smart and nuanced, and I don't expect most Americans, especially mouth-breathing conservatives, to get it.

Edited by PASabreFan

George W. Bush was a leftist? News to me.

I disagree that the left's side of the issue is about shutting down debate. That's akin to me saying the right's side of the debate is about satisfying their need to use a sledgehammer in all things foreign policy. Mischaracterizes the point, IMO.

I'm not sure I get the GWB reference. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. Could GWB use language to shut down debate? Well, yes. Is the right capable of using language to shut down debate? Well, yes. Regarding the specific phrase and issue, it's been explained to me, here and elsewhere, that we all "know what it is, but don't want to inflame sensibilities by saying it out loud". That's my paraphrase, admittedly.

If the left's side of the issue (using a phrase, or not) isn't about shutting down debate, what is the left's side of the issue about? Let's debate the phrase.

The president's explanation for why he doesn't want to use the adjective "Muslim" before "terrorist" (and all the variations of those terms) is a sound one.

Not being smart, and being a mouth breathing conservative with no appreciation for nuance, I'll ask. What is the explanation and when did he give it? I'll decide if I think it's sound.

Nuance has come to mean "I don't want to talk about it so I'll refer to the topic as subtle and complex and hide in the shadows".

Edited by N'eo

I agree it's about politics. The political agenda is an Islamist Caliphate. There. How'd I do?

I've seen a lot. I'm old. The intellectual contortion around the phrase radical Islam is an example of what I've come to see as the left's preference for shutting down debate. "This is uncomfortable or inconsistent with our view that everyone's a victim. Let's deny it exists and explain that those who don't deny it exists are closed minded bigots."

The Ministry of Truth.

We all have views. I'm sure I disappoint others. Offered in the spirit of knowing where I/we come from and in search of the more perfect Union. Words shouldn't scare us. No conversation should be shut down. Broad generalization - the switch from "the left" being the home of free thinkers to "the left" being the home of rigid orthodoxy is one of the great pivots in my life experience. IMHO, of course.

I need you to expand more upon this before I comment. I'm not sure what your intent is. 

I would say no to "hawkish". I looked it up. The word belligerent appears in several definitions.

I know some posters consider her a hawk. Everyone's view of someone else depends, of course, on where their own feet are. I guess she's be a hawk to someone who's more dovish. That's an incomplete thought.

On matters of war, I think "decisive" is a word I look for. Hawk, dove ... mean less to me. I think HRC is decisive.

I would say no to "hawkish". I looked it up. The word belligerent appears in several definitions.

I know some posters consider her a hawk. Everyone's view of someone else depends, of course, on where their own feet are. I guess she's be a hawk to someone who's more dovish. That's an incomplete thought.

On matters of war, I think "decisive" is a word I look for. Hawk, dove ... mean less to me. I think HRC is decisive.

I know you have more nice things to say about Hillary. Out with them!  :P

If HRC was centrist on the judiciary and social justice issues, and if she didn't have monumental ethical issues, I'd gladly consider her. Those are two huge "ifs". They give rise not only to opposition, but to animus, in me. Shocker, I know. Read any of my posts.

We all prioritize differently. No one's policy stances are exactly mine. Thank heavens.

If HRC was centrist on the judiciary and social justice issues, and if she didn't have monumental ethical issues, I'd gladly consider her. Those are two huge "ifs". They give rise not only to opposition, but to animus, in me. Shocker, I know. Read any of my posts.

We all prioritize differently. No one's policy stances are exactly mine. Thank heavens.

That and she's held heavy political influence since the early 90's FFS.  It's 2016.  Enough of entrenched politicians, especially ones carrying an excess of heavy baggage like HRC.  Weary is the word.

To Claude: Twenty years from now I'll be watching George Prescott Bush and Chelsea Clinton debate. I'll be in ill humor after learning our OneAmerica National Care program won't pay for a knee replacement in light of the actuarial ROI for a 75 year old. I'd get drunk, but the $11.23 SocialJusticeSecurity check won't buy a shot.

Maybe I'll call Deluca and go target shooting.

Edited by N'eo

To Claude: Twenty years from now I'll be watching George Prescott Bush and Chelsea Clinton debate. I'll be in ill humor after learning our OneAmerica National Care program won't pay for a knee replacement in light of the actuarial ROI for a 75 year old. I'd get drunk, but the $11.23 SocialJusticeSecurity check won't buy a shot.

:lol:

The private one would probably cut you out sooner because you make too much to qualify for pro bono charity... Sigh yup gonna be interesting to see when I am 72.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.