This is horseshi.

BuffalOhio

From the Buffalo News:

NHL schedule-makers haven't done the Sabres any favors lately. The Sabres were playing their fourth game in six nights, while the Leafs entered the game after three days off. The Sabres stayed in Toronto overnight and were to practice in Southern Ontario this afternoon before playing the Leafs again Monday night in the Air Canada Centre.

From the Buffalo News:

NHL schedule-makers haven't done the Sabres any favors lately. The Sabres were playing their fourth game in six nights, while the Leafs entered the game after three days off. The Sabres stayed in Toronto overnight and were to practice in Southern Ontario this afternoon before playing the Leafs again Monday night in the Air Canada Centre.

Could it be some of these guys are tanking it on purpose, not to burn themselves out before PO time? And could it even be Ruff is the orchestrator behind this?

Could it be some of these guys are tanking it on purpose, not to burn themselves out before PO time? And could it even be Ruff is the orchestrator behind this?

I really hope that this is the case. Lindy's pregame comments since before the Ottawa game that started this nightmare have seemed to always give his guys "outs" in case they play poorly. He's also been very quick to point out the good in bad games in postgame comments.

I hope they're just trying to buy some time with the fans and media in order to get some rest for playoff time. I REALLY, REALLY hope.

Subconsciously? Perhaps, but doubtful. Intentionally? Not a chance. You don't intentionally hang your goalies out to dry, no matter what your readiness level is. If you want to keep from burning players out, you bring in reinforcements from the farm, you don't sleepwalk through assignments.

Ruff might be the "orchestrator" in the sense that the wheels fell off when he had significant non-hockey distractions. I don't buy it. I chalk up some of the ineptness of the Atlanta game due to distractions, but the rest of it is simply a team not finding a way to get it done. The schedule has not been kind to them of late, but it won't be come playoff time either. Fortunately, they get to hop right back on the horse that bucked them (and kicked them in the ribs, and whizzed on their head, etc., etc.), so they get an opportunity to show themselves that they still have character. They have to fight through this week, then they finally get some off days next week.

I still expect to see them figure out how to get out of this funk, but am definitely not a gambling man. As I've posted before, I can't wait until tomorrow night's game; because we get to see how they respond to last night's debacle. I expect they will come out strong, but time will tell. One nice thing about the road and road with TO is, for the 1st time since the skid started, they don't have to travel between games.

I'm looking more toward the game in Ottawa next Saturday when the Sabres revisit the debacle that started this funk. It will be a great chance for them to exorcise a demon and sort of erase all that has happened in the last couple of weeks. With some time off after that game, they could really get their game in order. A big win in Ottawa, and I think there's hope. Crushed again? I don't even want to think about it.

I'm looking more toward the game in Ottawa next Saturday when the Sabres revisit the debacle that started this funk. It will be a great chance for them to exorcise a demon and sort of erase all that has happened in the last couple of weeks. With some time off after that game, they could really get their game in order. A big win in Ottawa, and I think there's hope. Crushed again? I don't even want to think about it.

That's a great way to look at it, PA. I hope the Sabres can view it that way. Still, Ottawa will have locked up just about everything by then, which means a loss would hurt much more than a win would help. I don't think this team will be able to prove to themselves that they are back until game 1, round 1.

The Sabres have a nice four day break later in the month. Right now, we're looking at it with a "why isn't it in the middle of March" attitude, because they're tiring now. But at the beginning of the season, when it looked like those last four games in April might be huge just in terms of making the playoffs, I'll bet that break seemed to be perfectly placed.

Let go of the conspiracy theories already.

well, after this week, in which they play 4 games in 8 nights (last night at toronto, monday at Toronto, wednesday against ottawa, friday against philly, saturday at ottawa), they have 3 days off, two days off, 1 day off between their last 4 games respectively. They'll be plenty rested for the playoffs. Just hope they win a few before then! Hell, that division hasn't been won yet. It may be a dream, but its not too far fetched...

Archived