OT Pop up blocker/script blockers

drnkirishone

This is precisely what the Questions and Answers forum is for.

Actually, it isn't. The original purpose was to have a place to ask questions that have answers/solutions to them, so that they could be marked as "answered/solved".

There are countless add-ons and extensions out there for all applications, asking about them is more like asking what brand of shoes you wear. There really is not right or wrong answer.

I use Ghostery and Adblock Plus, plus a Kaspersky extension. Ghostery has become pretty strict lately, cutting out a lot of valuable stuff. I find myself disabling it more and more often. I might try using Kaspersky anti-banner to see how well that works.

So, FYI... as a societal manners sort of thing - this discussion is akin to attending a party and discussing in front of the host the various ways you plan to haul food out of their house and tools out of their garage.

It costs me $3000/yr (down from $5500/year) to pay for a server that can withstand heavy traffic spikes and provide the performance people enjoy. I'm curious how I should cover those bills if you choose not to participate in the free content/advertiser model?

If your position is that service/content providers on the web should foot the entire bill for your internet browsing pleasures then that is a rather disappointing and unsustainable world view.

So, FYI... as a societal manners sort of thing - this discussion is akin to attending a party and discussing in front of the host the various ways you plan to haul food out of their house and tools out of their garage.

It costs me $3000/yr (down from $5500/year) to pay for a server that can withstand heavy traffic spikes and provide the performance people enjoy. I'm curious how I should cover those bills if you choose not to participate in the free content/advertiser model?

If your position is that service/content providers on the web should foot the entire bill for your internet browsing pleasures then that is a rather disappointing and unsustainable world view.

I have a slight feeling that the question may have derived from my comment yesterday about a link with a popup that wouldn't go away.

Also, I have stolen a turkey from your freezer and I have your hedge clippers.

In seriousness, though, I don't see ads on The Aud Club page if I'm signed in.  I only see them on the front page, or, if I'm not signed in, I see them on The Aud Club.

Edited by eleven

I use ADblock plus (Chrome Extension) and PeerBlocker (stand alone program) and I am meticulous about white-listing sites that I frequent often. SabreSpace and others that I frequent like ChannelFireball and MTGGoldfish are still collecting ad revenue from me. Some other sites I have locked down like Fort Knox because they insist on having persistent full-page adds that require me to wait 20 seconds before I can close them. 

With that said I also have some other forums that offer an ad free browsing experience as a fee. I have never purchased them because sidebar ads never hurt me but I know some people don't like it.  

Is that the TBD + SS server, or just us?

Either way, open a paypal account or similar, I'll build you a donations page, or you can build it yourself, and we'll do a user supported model. Let us donate to keep the board open.

Coming down on adblock seems really strange to me.  It's an incredibly useful tool that allows me to get the most out of my 100 kb/s max internet speed.  It's most useful for visiting NHL's website and watching VEVO videos on youtube. It's a tool, and it's up to the user how it's used. I have Aud Club whitelisted and still have never seen an ad so...?

I have had no problems with ads on your site. what i cannot stand is the sites that have a side bar type ad that starts playing a video with frelling SOUND!!!! I mean WTF i shrug my shoulders at all the damned click me ads and even the blinking flashing ones that pretend me clicking on the moving ball will mean i win a prize. but i draw the line when i just want to read something on a page and it loads some damned infomercial type sales thing that i have to click stop or mute on every damn 60 seconds.

I use ADblock plus (Chrome Extension) and PeerBlocker (stand alone program) and I am meticulous about white-listing sites that I frequent often. SabreSpace and others that I frequent like ChannelFireball and MTGGoldfish are still collecting ad revenue from me. Some other sites I have locked down like Fort Knox because they insist on having persistent full-page adds that require me to wait 20 seconds before I can close them. 

With that said I also have some other forums that offer an ad free browsing experience as a fee. I have never purchased them because sidebar ads never hurt me but I know some people don't like it.  

well well well a fellow gamer. just one question. basic land of preference?

I have a slight feeling that the question may have derived from my comment yesterday about a link with a popup that wouldn't go away.

Also, I have stolen a turkey from your freezer and I have your hedge clippers.

In seriousness, though, I don't see ads on The Aud Club page if I'm signed in.  I only see them on the front page, or, if I'm not signed in, I see them on The Aud Club.

I'm in the same boat, I only get ads if I'm not signed in.

edit: And I just thought of the perfect way to fund the site.  I will now be selling off the image rights to my avatar.  It'll be the face tattoo of the internet.

Edited by shrader

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.