Sabres Cap Space Post Draft

dejeanneret

According to spotrac.com, the Sabres currently have $15.4 million in cap space remaining (Cap of $71,400,000 w/ $55,360,000 of active contracts).  They are roughly $4 million above the cap floor.

That doesn't include Reinhart is $900k and McCabe is $925k.  Bring both of them up and we are at $13.6 million.

Buying out Hodgson adds $3.2 million. Buying out Legwand saves us $2.3 million. Correct me if I'm wrong, but each team gets two buyouts per year.  If they go that direction that will put them at $19.1 mil cap space, which is right at the cap floor.  Some may disagree, but I don't see the value at keeping Legwand at $3 million when arguably he is no better than McCormick. Difference is Mac brings a physicality that Legwand doesn't have at half the price.

Giving OReilly a max deal of $8 mil per season will raise his cap value $2 mil this season (from $6 mil).  That puts us at $17.1 million.

That leaves plenty of room for an RFA (RW?), veteran defenseman, and solid number 1a goalie. 

I think a solid option between the pipes is Lindback.  He responded well to Irbe's tutelage, and at 6'6 fits Murray's mold.  His first two seasons with the Preds he had a 2.52 GAA and SV% of around .914 through 38 games.  Had a rough time in Tampa and Dallas but responded with a .924 SV% last season and 2.76 GAA.  At 27 he still has 5 solid years left in him.  We could probably get him for $1.5 mil per season (he made $925k last year) on a 2-3 year deal.

Some may say we are stacked at forward.  But when you have the chance of bringing in a Tarasenko at 23 years old and outbid a cap-strapped St. Louis franchise, you do it. $6-7 mil should do it.  I'd take him over Foligno, Larsson, McGinn, McCormick, etc.  Move everyone else down.  If we can't get him (with Toffoli signing) I think we stand pat at forward. 

At defense, I think the money is on acquiring a younger player via trade.  Unless Bylsma can talk Murray into Paul Martin (former Pen).  I don't think Beachemin or Oduya will want to come to Buffalo.  At their age they want to win a Cup now, and I'm sure there will be a team that will overpay both to help them do that.

Edited by dejeanneret

I also dont see a 1a goalie either. TM said he wanted to give Lehner anclear net to see if he could claim the 1 spot. Johnson has performed well in a backup role and is not threatening to Lehner. 

It doesn't make sense to buyout Legwand.  If you buyout Legwand some portion of his former Salary will be on your cap for an additional year from what I understand.  With how much room we have, you simply let him play or put him in Rochester. After this year he is gone.  We also don't know how well he will play.  Legwand might surprise some people.

The Blues currently have 14million in capspace and that is without moving anyone. There is no chance in hell they would let Tarasenko go for 6mil and I don't even think his agent would let him sign and offer sheet for so little. Tarasenko is probably about to make 8million and it will be with the blues. 

Tim Murray made it very clear he thinks any situation with a 1a and 1b goalie combo is terrible. He won't bring in Lindback to challenge Lehner. I am saying this a statement, there will not be a 1a goalie added to this roster unless Lehner miraculously re-injures himself.

You could give ROR the max deal possible and it will have 0 impact on this years cap hit.  That contract will not affect the cap until July 1 2016.  

Some may say we are stacked at forward.  But when you have the chance of bringing in a Tarasenko at 23 years old and outbid a cap-strapped St. Louis franchise, you do it. $6-7 mil should do it. 

Tarasenko will require $9+ mill to be pried from St Louis.  They will dump anyone and everyone to make that happen.  Now if you want to offer sheet him, in order to get some of their other players on the cheap, you may be on to something. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.