Let's end tanking forever: draft lottery pick delayed 1 year going forward

TheFunPolice

FWIW, based on what AZ have sent out and what's coming back, they're going to suck mightily next year too.

Which they should. Top prospect in next years draft was born in Arizona. Could be exactly the type of player they need to build around if they want to have any kind of financial and long term success in Arizona. Odds are not the greatest but worth the risk for a higher percentage chance.

I prefer the one team on ball lottery. Where your ball is drawn is where you draft making it a true lottery. That will kill tanking forever which at this point should be the top priority of the NHL.

I agree tanking ruins the game for the fans.  If the league does not address it in a meaningful way the fans will stop attending the games.

I also agree with that fellow with the PhD.  There are many issues to deal with for this bush league.

Yes, something that happens to the degree it did this year takes place every 10 Year. Obviously should be top priority. Not scoring, or parity, or hits to the head, or failing markets...but tanking. :rolleyes:

Scoring is cyclical, parity is a pipe dream, hits to the head is already being addressed and there will always be failing markets. The integrity of the NHL and the drafting process being called into question? You bet your ass it's a top priority. Every 10 years? That it ever is allowed to happen is alarming.

Scoring is cyclical, parity is a pipe dream, hits to the head is already being addressed and there will always be failing markets. The integrity of the NHL and the drafting process being called into question? You bet your ass it's a top priority. Every 10 years? That it ever is allowed to happen is alarming.

Who other than some random fans are questioning the integrity of the drafting process?  If 28 teams play the year trying to win and 2 teams just don't care it has no impact outside of those 2 teams market which like any other pro sport is forgotten about once that team starts to win again.  The NHL has one of if not the most balanced unbiased anti tank drafting systems in all of pro sports which it will most assuredly have next year with the top 3 picks available for grabs.

I agree tanking ruins the game for the fans.  If the league does not address it in a meaningful way the fans will stop attending the games.

I also agree with that fellow with the PhD.  There are many issues to deal with for this bush league.

What is this based on? The reason that its such a big deal this year is because two players are considered "generational" talents. If it was just McDavid, it wouldn't be as obvious of teams trying to fight for the bottom.

That said, i think the NHL would prefer teams like Coyotes and Buffalo "tanking" then a Pittsburgh missing the playoffs and winning the lottery.

Talk about ruining the league..

Who other than some random fans are questioning the integrity of the drafting process?  If 28 teams play the year trying to win and 2 teams just don't care it has no impact outside of those 2 teams market which like any other pro sport is forgotten about once that team starts to win again.  The NHL has one of if not the most balanced unbiased anti tank drafting systems in all of pro sports which it will most assuredly have next year with the top 3 picks available for grabs.

41 games for both teams affect more than just the home markets.  This is an NHL-wide problem, not a home market problem.

It's the least likely scenario to be adopted, but I'm all in on GCoE's solution.  No more trades of players under contract for draft picks.  Tank's can't happen.  Don't need a lottery any more.  

41 games for both teams affect more than just the home markets.  This is an NHL-wide problem, not a home market problem.

It's the least likely scenario to be adopted, but I'm all in on GCoE's solution.  No more trades of players under contract for draft picks.  Tank's can't happen.  Don't need a lottery any more.  

So, basically you are trading your UFAs away for fringe guys, or letting them walk?

So, basically you are trading your UFAs away for fringe guys, or letting them walk?

Not quite.  Each team has upwards of 53 players under contract, alot of which are prospects.  So trading a roster player for a prospect under contract would be allowed.

Does it reduce trades of pending UFA's because teams are less willing to move known prospects?  Plausible.  But part of the intended effect.  The idea is to prevent teams from setting up to intentionally lose.

Edited by weave

I prefer the one team on ball lottery. Where your ball is drawn is where you draft making it a true lottery. That will kill tanking forever which at this point should be the top priority of the NHL.

The draft and the cap protect the owners. It keeps the competitive balance and allows poor teams to retool. They should forget this lottery system and go back to drafting in reverse order to where you finish. It wasn't broke, did not need fixing and tanking is not even remotely a problem much less the top priority. Tanking is good, the NHL knows it. No team wants to not have an out for bad personnel decisions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.