OFF Topic: NCAA College Athletes

LGR4GM

No. It's enough that my tax dollars are paying for educations for people just because they're good at swimming or gymnastics or lacrosse or football.

Your tax dollars aren't paying for those... The billions of dollars that major college sports generate in revenue is.

No.  It's enough that my tax dollars are paying for educations for people just because they're good at swimming or gymnastics or lacrosse or football.

Playing devil's advocate, the huge sports schools that make millions off sports are basically exploiting their student athletes for free labor in a multi-billion dollar industry.

If a student athlete gets injured should they lose their scholarship?

No.

Your tax dollars aren't paying for those... The billions of dollars that major college sports generate in revenue is.

Playing devil's advocate, the huge sports schools that make millions off sports are basically exploiting their student athletes for free labor in a multi-billion dollar industry.

In New York?  Are you guys kidding?

Ok - I'll flip this around to posing the same question for those that are academically benefiting with their minds rather than their bodies.  

Should students who are attributing to research papers that are generating money for the school also be paid?  Are they not also being exploited for their minds?

Ok - I'll flip this around to posing the same question for those that are academically benefiting with their minds rather than their bodies.  

Should students who are attributing to research papers that are generating money for the school also be paid?  Are they not also being exploited for their minds?

Right.  And their work, meanwhile, actually has the potential of benefiting society beyond mere entertainment.  That's where I want my tax dollars spent.

A student athlete the way I understand it would lose their scholarship if permanently injured, some school however do keep injured players.

Schools should provide insurance to cover the remaining tuition.  Same goes for the scholarship pianist who develops carpal tunnel, too.

Edited by Eleven

Major college athletics should be spun off into a minor league system so the athletes can get paid and not have to get shoehorned into an educational system many of them want nothing to do with. But since that's not happening...no, they should not get paid beyond what they already do. Many college athletes get into schools they'd never qualify for academically simply because they can play sports at a high level...most of them are never going to make the pros, so a high quality education is a huge payment in and of itself. It's not my fault many don't take advantage of the opportunity. And I don't want to hear the nonsense about how hard they have to work and so on...there are plenty of regular students, not on scholarship, who find a way to achieve academically while holding down a job and taking part in extracurriculars. 

If a student athlete gets injured should they lose their scholarship?

No, the university should bear that risk. If a student athlete gets injured and can't play anymore, their scholarship should be converted to an academic scholarship that they have to maintain through classroom work.

It's not like student athletes are taken from their homes and forced into labor. The vast majority will never make a dime off of athletics after they're done in college--they're voluntarily pursuing a path that little to no financial reward.

A student athlete the way I understand it would lose their scholarship if permanently injured, some school however do keep injured players.

Right, but I think this is a conversation unto itself and ultimately his little or nothing to do with paying athletes.

Okay should these Athletes be allowed to profit off of their own names and likenesses while in college?  So for instance Nick Chubb at UGA, who will be a beast next year, should he be allowed to profit off his name and abilities while in college... say for instance license shirts that say "I am a Chubb-y girl"?

Okay should these Athletes be allowed to profit off of their own names and likenesses while in college?  So for instance Nick Chubb at UGA, who will be a beast next year, should he be allowed to profit off his name and abilities while in college... say for instance license shirts that say "I am a Chubb-y girl"?

Why not?  The scholarship artists and musicians and scientists are free to do whatever they want to earn money.

Yes. I'm not here to defend the NCAA--many of the rules in place are absurd (and, obviously, completely unenforceable). 

I'm glad we've come this far without the idiotic "no they get a free education" garbage argument being brought in. Bravo guys.

Well, I owe a little over 2k a month in student loans, sure I make an OK salary, but had I played any sport I wouldn't have this burden. I think it's crap that students that play sports aren't held to an educational standard (at many colleges) or they get to major in general studies or some Bs. Sure they're supposed to keep a certain GPA and etc, but we know realistically what goes on with many athletes and I've seen it firsthand. So no they shouldn't get paid at all, they also shouldn't lose the scholarship from an injury because that's not fair either. But the scholarship should be based on an educational stance

Don't have time to dig them up but there are endless stories online that 100% discount the "free education" babble. They don't get an education. Even the ones that try get it taken from them by the athletic program. They don't pick their own schedules or majors. There was one top recruit who transferred to a garbage program that doesn't give athletic scholarships because he wasn't allowed to major in any of the sciences.

Most are forced into "paper classes" where the grades are based entirely on the papers they submit rather than attendance, participation and testing. That's so others can write their papers for them and they never have to attend. It's quite common. I've seen it for myself in even a mid-major school.

There is nothing that supports the free education argument.

Don't have time to dig them up but there are endless stories online that 100% discount the "free education" babble. They don't get an education. Even the ones that try get it taken from them by the athletic program. They don't pick their own schedules or majors. There was one top recruit who transferred to a garbage program that doesn't give athletic scholarships because he wasn't allowed to major in any of the sciences.

Most are forced into "paper classes" where the grades are based entirely on the papers they submit rather than attendance, participation and testing. That's so others can write their papers for them and they never have to attend. It's quite common. I've seen it for myself in even a mid-major school.

For every anecdote you bring I have a different one. For example, Emeka Okafor earned his finance degree in three years and graduated with honors while playing at UConn. There is no evidence that student athletes are being systematically denied educational opportunity.

I have read many of these stories about the horrible woes that befall these adults that are able to make their own decisions (again, see TrueBlue's first post).

What you're writing about applies only to a percentage of college athletes (mainly football and basketball), many of whom probably don't belong at the schools they are attending anyway.

Even with respect to those sports, there are plenty of John Urschels around.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.