Val James

IKnowPhysics

This was brought up elsewhere, but I figure it's thread-worthy.

For those not in the know, Val James became the first black American-born NHL player when he played for the Sabres in 1981.  His NHL career was brief, but he played professional hockey, much of it with the Amerks, for a number of years, until a shoulder injury let him vanish from the game.

The Waterloo Region Record did a nice write up on him here: http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/5325627-nhl-fans-horrible-racism-recalled-by-val-james/

After a game in Boston in 1982, angry fans blocked the team bus of the Sabres, who had two black players that season. The fans fired a beer bottle into the windshield, called James a vile name and demanded he come out. James headed for the door until coach Scotty Bowman ordered him back to his seat. James also described the first time he heard the nastiest of slurs, from an adult at a youth tournament in Michigan. He was 13.

In Salem, Va., in 1981, a CBS News crew filming a report on James recorded fans chanting a racial epithet at him. A producer interviewed a proud teenager who brought a watermelon to the game for James. Gallagher shared a copy of the report with The New York Times.

"There is the only way I can explain it for people who don't understand that feeling," James said. "Let's start with women. What's the worst thing you can call a woman? Imagine having one of those words thrown at you every three seconds for 60 minutes. Now multiply that 40 road games a year."

"If big Americans were seen, first and foremost, as hired hatchet men, how do you think I was viewed?" wrote James, who was drafted in 1977 by the Detroit Red Wings in the 16th round. "I was big, American ... and black. There was not a lot of thought given to developing my overall game."

"I still got the experience I set out to do when I was younger," he said. "I got to play in the NHL. I forgot to say I wanted to stay in the NHL. I can't say I didn't get what I wanted. And the thing was, I got to do it a few times. A lot of guys don't get to ever do it once. I consider myself extremely fortunate."

Fascinating accounts, if saddening and horrifying.

Racism from Boston fans??? Say it ain't so. Not surprised by that part of the story at all. My ex in-laws are from Boston and I can say it's the same there now as it was 30 years ago. Remember just a few years ago when Joel Ward scored the game winning goal against the Bruins that knocked them out of the playoffs? The fans were destroying the guy on their message boards. Some things never change in that town.

Edited by Claude Balls

Racism from Boston fans??? Say it ain't so. Not surprised by that part of the story at all. My ex in-laws are from Boston and I can say it's the same there now as it was 30 years ago. Remember just a few years ago when Joel Ward scored the game winning goal against the Bruins that knocked them out of the playoffs? The fans were destroying the guy on their message boards. Some things never change in that town.

Even more recently, they were being racist against PK Subban.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.