GDT: Tampa vs Buffalo, 12-2-2014, 1930, NBCSN

wjag

I liked that there were several instances of the Sabres containing the Lightning in their own zone for something close to a shift. That's something we haven't seen in forever.

As much as I hate the NBC crew, they pointed out a few times last night that the Sabres are moving the puck out of their own end much more readily. Earlier in the season they were pinned in their own zone more and when they did break out they didn't have the energy to make a hard push toward the other team's net. Now they're getting the puck out earlier in the shift and getting some offensive zone time, leading to more goals.

Ennis is so much better at wing than he is at center.

Well waddaya know.

Enroth is really starting to make me eat my words.

Me too. And it's awesome.

First: Zemgus Girgensons. He's not a power guy who can score, he's a 6'1" Chris Drury.

Totally Sustainable. Enroth is definitely the best goaltender ever to play the game.

My two cents: I'm absolutely loving this, but i will be ok if it comes crashing down. I'm ok with 9th place if we're in the hunt. I just don't want to finish 20th in the league. If we stay within 3-4 games of 8th, keep the FAs and let the the kids experience the battle of a playoff push. If they're 4-5 games out at the deadline, sell everything, goalies included.

Lastly:

Deluca was right.

This is how I feel too. And freakin' DeLuca

Where do the Sabres finish: 8th in the East.

Plus the the Little Latvians (Giontas, Flynnos and Mitchellsons) have really looked like an effective third line.

And, as somebody (Swamp?) pointed out upthread, the Hodgson first decision was inspired and vintage Nolan.

Teddy believes in redemption and genuinely wants players to succeed.

I love this. They were fore checking the bejeezus out of Tampa last night. Flynnos and Mitchellsons are both great skaters, and Giontas is no slouch.

I'm glad Nolan finally set the team to rights. So fun to watch. This is the environment we want our youngins learning in.

Notes from the game:

-Nikita, Tyler, Tyler, Zemgus, Rasmus, and Matt lugged the mail once again. Gorges too, probably. Awesome stuff from the guys that are going to be here for a while.

-Enroth was spectacular. He just knows where the puck is going to be, and he's quick as all hell.

-If he skates like that every night, Brian Flynn can be an NHLer.

-Rasmus's offensive game is significantly more developed than Nikita's. And he might just have more talent in general. His hands were really on display last night.

-If he skates like that every night, Brian Flynn can be an NHLer.

Flynn's been skating like that for some time now.

-Rasmus's offensive game is significantly more developed than Nikita's. And he might just have more talent in general. His hands were really on display last night.

Nikita can't help but blast the puck into the feet of the forward covering him. Every. Time. If you watch you seem him try to change the angle but he just hasn't developed the knack yet. He's trying though. I think the do really well as a pair (who but Nolan would have put two youngins on the same defensive pairing???)

A thought about Nolan: He's still coaching in the '90s. It's his style and I don't expect it to change, nor does it have to. He coaches on a very gut-feel, intuitive level and will try things that you'd think wouldn't work (and sometimes they don't). But I like the imagination. I think he and GMTM are smart enough to make X-and-O hockey minds and analytical minds available to him to help balance the intuitive approach. If GMTM were the coach it wouldn't work because he's too analytical. You need the yin and yang of both sides. Maybe GMTM understands this which is why he brought LaFontain in to help with the coach search.

Flynn's been skating like that for some time now.

Nikita can't help but blast the puck into the feet of the forward covering him. Every. Time. If you watch you seem him try to change the angle but he just hasn't developed the knack yet. He's trying though. I think the do really well as a pair (who but Nolan would have put two youngins on the same defensive pairing???)

A thought about Nolan: He's still coaching in the '90s. It's his style and I don't expect it to change, nor does it have to. He coaches on a very gut-feel, intuitive level and will try things that you'd think wouldn't work (and sometimes they don't). But I like the imagination. I think he and GMTM are smart enough to make X-and-O hockey minds and analytical minds available to him to help balance the intuitive approach. If GMTM were the coach it wouldn't work because he's too analytical. You need the yin and yang of both sides. Maybe GMTM understands this which is why he brought LaFontain in to help with the coach search.

??? I think that's backwards, no?

??? I think that's backwards, no?

Yes, backwards.

+1 on Flynn/Gionta/Mitchell. I think that line coming together and scoring a couple is what ignited this run. Good job Gionta. And, as horrible as it was in Oct, it makes sense that it took 2 months given all the new faces (skaters & coaches). Tank be damned.

I was on vacation last week - but scanned thru the recordings of the Montreal and Tampa games. It doesn't even look like the same team we saw in October and early November. Something really gelled with this team after that trouncing the Sabres gave the Leafs at home a couple Saturdays back. They're aggressive, they're physical, they're skating hard, and playing a full 3 periods (it's a cliche, but true). Even passing - which the Sabres have been deplorable at - looks greatly improved.

Great to see.... but...... don't we need to get back on track with the Tank?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.