How low do they need to go?

Taro T

How bad do they (Sabres or Isles) have to be for #1 heading into lottery?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you see 30th place falling?

• 40-55
    • 56-60
    • 61-65
    • 66-70
    • 71-75
  2. 2. Where do you see 29th falling?

• 50-55
    • 56-60
    • 61-65
    • 66-70
    • 71-75
    • 76-85
  3. 3. Where do Sabres & Isles fall?

• Isles - 50's
    • Isles - 60-65
    • Isles - 66-70
    • Isles - 71-75
    • Isles - 76-80
    • Isles - 81-85
    • Isles - 86-92
    • Isles Playoff Bound
    • Sabres - 50's
    • Sabres - 60-65
    • Sabres - 66-70
    • Sabres - 71-75
    • Sabres - 76-80
    • Sabres - 81-85
    • Sabres - 86-92
    • Sabres Playoff Bound

Jake McCabe, Brendan McNabb and Mark Pysyk weren't going to make the Sabres defence good last year and Pulock, Mayfield and Pokka aren't going to make the Islanders defence good this year.

Has there ever been a team with three rookie defencemen that was any good?

On paper, I think the Islanders have the worst blue line in the league.

In defense I submit that Pysyk, McCabe and McNabb for a an entire season would have been better than McBain, Rhuwedel, Sulzer and Weber. Pysyk came up and played great. McNabb was okay but better than McBain and Rhuwedel easily. McCabe was in college for the majority of the year but by his last game in Buffalo he was really starting to show those calm skills a stay at home guy needs. We can not estimate the type of impact Reinhart, Pulock and Mayfield will have on the Islanders.

I think something to also keep in mind for the NYI is that regardless of their defense, they are better at forward and in goal. That will also impact the defense because they will have a little less pressure in certain situations. I don't think the NYI are a playoff team but I definitely think they will start trending up this year.

I'm with you Taro, and that makes me sad :(

I don't believe the Sabres get out of the bottom 3 though, but there are a couple of teams that look to be competing with the Sabres for last place. Calgary looks to be one of those teams, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Florida down in mix again. The one team that does intrigue me is Winnipeg. How low can they go if they deal Kane for futures as opposed to NHL roster talent?

As for the Islanders pick, I'd say anywhere from 4th OA to 10 OA with myself leaning heavily towards the 10 OA end of that scale barring injuries. But I don't see them as a playoff team quite yet.

Winnipeg (because of uncertainty surrounding Kane & their goaltending) and Nashville (missing Fisher for ~1/2 the season) are 2 squads out west that I could see having a wheels falling off season if the injury bug strikes.

I certainly hope that this is not the case. Sure we signed Moulson and Gionta, but we had to spend the money (see salary cap floor) and they weren't going to get paid the same elsewhere because few other teams had the salary cap space. Sabres can exert some control over how they end up this season. One way is to periodically and simply sit Moulson and / or Gionta and term that either rest or minor injury. Another way is to control how and when we insert the young prospects into the line up. The Sabres will probably battle Carolina and Calgary for the worst record overall. I am not hedging any bet the the Islanders (outside of a historic and epic collapse) will finish with the worst record. Sabres need to Pick #1 or #2 overall next year, they should then be set with the prospects needed to shape a contending roster.

Meszaros of the Otters hurts the tank a lot. Meszaros of the Phlyers helps. Which shows up?

Same q w/ the goalies. Nolan has gotten a lot out of poor squads in the past, but he's always had a goalie step up and pull his share (or more, much more). Can Neuvirth or Enroth steal some games? If yes, and the other answer was yes, they'll get a lot of loser points at a minimum. (Still don't see where much scoring comes from, especially if Sam goes back after game 9.)

I'm still hoping that faith in Garth gets rewarded.

All of the acquisitions to help mentor the youngsters are fine. The key to the tank this year: goaltending. Unless Enroth or Neuvirth turns into the next Hasek, the tank is still in great shape.

This is a very reasonable view, but I still think the key to the tank is the Sabres' rock-bottom offensive output.

Team Odds

Chicago Blackhawks 7/1

Los Angeles Kings 9/1

Boston Bruins 10/1

Anaheim Ducks 12/1

Pittsburgh Penguins 12/1

St. Louis Blues 12/1

San Jose Sharks 14/1

New York Rangers 16/1

Colorado Avalanche 18/1

Dallas Stars 18/1

Minnesota Wild 18/1

Tampa Bay Lightning 18/1

Montreal Canadiens 20/1

Detroit Red Wings 22/1

Philadelphia Flyers 28/1

Vancouver Canucks 28/1

Columbus Blue Jackets 33/1

Toronto Maple Leafs 33/1

Washington Capitals 40/1

Edmonton Oilers 50/1

New Jersey Devils 50/1

New York Islanders 50/1

Ottawa Senators 50/1

Arizona Coyotes 50/1

Winnipeg Jets 50/1

Carolina Hurricanes 66/1

Nashville Predators 66/1

Buffalo Sabres 75/1

Calgary Flames 75/1

Florida Panthers 75/1

Odds to win the Stanley Cup in 2015. Sabres projected to be in the bottom 3 along with Calgary and Florida. New York Islanders are projected to be between 6-11th. I like those odds, and I think I'll like them even more near the midpoint of the season!

Edited by Naulter8

All the 50-1 shots, plus Toronto, Vancouver, Washington and Philly can make a case for bottoming out this year.

A lot of them won't, but when you factor in the lottery, the tank derby is wide open this year.

The Sabres will get a very good prospect and likely two of them, but the rapture of McEichel is no sure thing at all.

Guest Sloth

All the 50-1 shots, plus Toronto, Vancouver, Washington and Philly can make a case for bottoming out this year.

A lot of them won't, but when you factor in the lottery, the tank derby is wide open this year.

The Sabres will get a very good prospect and likely two of them, but the rapture of McEichel is no sure thing at all.

Like your "McEichel." And yes, there is no guarantee. Before the signings were made, it looked as if landing McDavid or Eichel was in the bag. Now, not so much. If things do pan out and the Sabres land "McEichel", the additions made this offseason will give Buffalo an almost immediate turnaround. Good times are on the horizon. Just hope it includes McDavid or Eichel.

Team Odds

Chicago Blackhawks 7/1

Los Angeles Kings 9/1

Boston Bruins 10/1

Anaheim Ducks 12/1

Pittsburgh Penguins 12/1

St. Louis Blues 12/1

San Jose Sharks 14/1

New York Rangers 16/1

Colorado Avalanche 18/1

Dallas Stars 18/1

Minnesota Wild 18/1

Tampa Bay Lightning 18/1

Montreal Canadiens 20/1

Detroit Red Wings 22/1

Philadelphia Flyers 28/1

Vancouver Canucks 28/1

Columbus Blue Jackets 33/1

Toronto Maple Leafs 33/1

Washington Capitals 40/1

Edmonton Oilers 50/1

New Jersey Devils 50/1

New York Islanders 50/1

Ottawa Senators 50/1

Arizona Coyotes 50/1

Winnipeg Jets 50/1

Carolina Hurricanes 66/1

Nashville Predators 66/1

Buffalo Sabres 75/1

Calgary Flames 75/1

Florida Panthers 75/1

Odds to win the Stanley Cup in 2015. Sabres projected to be in the bottom 3 along with Calgary and Florida. New York Islanders are projected to be between 6-11th. I like those odds, and I think I'll like them even more near the midpoint of the season!

If I take all my material wealth and bet against Calgary to win the cup.....I can buy a round of beers at the Pink.

If I take all my material wealth and bet against Calgary to win the cup.....I can buy a round of beers at the Pink.

Weird! I had the same idea, except I was going to bet on buffalo! Gionta pushed us over the top! Round on me next June boys... And girl

With 31 votes cast, it looks like Sabrespace is leaning to a 29th place finish (with a reasonable likelihood of 30th) this coming season.

If so, that would mean Eichel is tantalizingly close to TM's grasp if he wants him but probably needing a favorable lottery to grab him, in which case McDavid might be there. The run of pick 2 bumping to the top spot would be a great thing to continue 1 more year.

I expect the Sabres will be down there but not quite bad enough to get there unfortunately.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.