Ted Nolan interim tag could be removed soon

BuffaloBorn

It doesn't mean much, but it implies a few things:

The coach will likely be around at least until the end of the season.

Sabres will likely offer a contract extension of at least a year.

Tells the players for better or worse that the coach is here to stay.

Tells the coach that he can start to shape his coaching staff a little more, especially in the off season.

I would like to see Nolan's contract, because they never talk about giving him an extension. Just removing the tag. Removing the tag of a guy on a one-year deal is just a courtesy and nothing more. Which is what "doing something for him" implies anyways.

Tells the coach that he can start to shape his coaching staff a little more, especially in the off season.

Would it be in bad taste if they made the offer for $500K/yr?

PLF said Nolan was here till the end of the season at the original presser. I'm sure that was a condition for him taking a leave from the Latvia job. Also, you are not going to put together much of a staff if you only get a one year extension.

PLF said Nolan was here till the end of the season at the original presser. I'm sure that was a condition for him taking a leave from the Latvia job. Also, you are not going to put together much of a staff if you only get a one year extension.

Murray knows the Sabres....he's seen them play the past decade. He knows who's been naughty and nice, and I am sure appreciates the effort Nolan is getting out of a subpar team as opposed to Lindy at the end. His uncle also undressed Ruff as a coach during the '07 playoffs by pressuring the point on the PP, which led to disaster by the time Lindy could figure out what hit him.

Murray has admitted they need better players, it's going to take another year to gather some momentum. If you listened to his interview in TO, he says his guy Luke Richardson is in a good place right now with his team and family. They probably give Nolan a 3 year deal...assuming he is the coach for next year, then playing it by ear. Terry will eat the salary if it came to that.

Murray knows the Sabres....he's seen them play the past decade. He knows who's been naughty and nice, and I am sure appreciates the effort Nolan is getting out of a subpar team as opposed to Lindy at the end. His uncle also undressed Ruff as a coach during the '07 playoffs by pressuring the point on the PP, which led to disaster by the time Lindy could figure out what hit him.

Murray has admitted they need better players, it's going to take another year to gather some momentum. If you listened to his interview in TO, he says his guy Luke Richardson is in a good place right now with his team and family. They probably give Nolan a 3 year deal...assuming he is the coach for next year, then playing it by ear. Terry will eat the salary if it came to that.

I think that is exactly how it should work out. Nolan is the right coach for this team right now and for next year as well.

If he can help the team make the step the following year he might stick around, if not, you know what they say about coaches.

Right now you've got Randy Cunneyworth and Joe Sacco in the organization, and you can bet there will be a new guy in Rochester and maybe others elsewhere.

Patty wants to buy every shiny toy out there for his staff and right now Terry is happy to oblige.

I would agree with most of this other then another silly attempt to throw LR under the bus with no factual basis. I am not a big fan of Nolan but I think he works for at least the next year and hopefully proves me wrong.

I would agree with most of this other then another silly attempt to throw LR under the bus with no factual basis. I am not a big fan of Nolan but I think he works for at least the next year and hopefully proves me wrong.

My only factual basis on Ruff is that if you watch that series, it was over in a heartbeat because the puck moving D-men and Pommer on the point, couldn't handle pressure and wilted.

That's why I found today's interview on GR with Murray interesting. He was praising the puck moving D-men and burying the physical, clear the net guys. His uncle torched a coach who had his entire system built off of puck moving D-men....

My only factual basis on Ruff is that if you watch that series, it was over in a heartbeat because the puck moving D-men and Pommer on the point, couldn't handle pressure and wilted.

That's why I found today's interview on GR with Murray interesting. He was praising the puck moving D-men and burying the physical, clear the net guys. His uncle torched a coach who had his entire system built off of puck moving D-men....

And the year before Ruff schooled his uncle. And in Ruff's first year he schooled Nolan on how to beat the Flyers in the playoffs. It means nothing, has nothing to do with current situation and none of it has any real credibility. Just my opinion and yours and doesn't really have any basis in fact.

Teams have been moving toward puck moving defenseman for years and none of it has anything to do with a 2007 playoff series.

And the year before Ruff schooled his uncle. And in Ruff's first year he schooled Nolan on how to beat the Flyers in the playoffs. It means nothing, has nothing to do with current situation and none of it has any real credibility. Just my opinion and yours and doesn't really have any basis in fact.

Teams have been moving toward puck moving defenseman for years and none of it has anything to do with a 2007 playoff series.

The credibility is this....

Lindy Ruff has been the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres for 16.2 of the past 17 years.....and the new GM has been a key part of a division rival the past decade....so he KNOWS the Sabres....and KNOWS what they looked like the past 9.8 out of 10 years before Nolan got here....Soooo...there is a good chance he honestly appreciates the effort he has gotten out of the team and that Nolan fully deserves a shot moving forward.

The credibility is this....

Lindy Ruff has been the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres for 16.2 of the past 17 years.....and the new GM has been a key part of a division rival the past decade....so he KNOWS the Sabres....and KNOWS what they looked like the past 9.8 out of 10 years before Nolan got here....Soooo...there is a good chance he honestly appreciates the effort he has gotten out of the team and that Nolan fully deserves a shot moving forward.

I forgot what fun a back and forth with you can be. I have no idea what point you have been trying to make is. I do agree with the last 26 words you wrote, though.

I forgot what fun a back and forth with you can be. I have no idea what point you have been trying to make is. I do agree with the last 26 words you wrote, though.

There isn't much to go back and forth on these days.....the team got some trustworthy stewards to run the ship, so I give the benefit of the doubt for the most part.

The only reason Murray beating Ruff was triggered was because of Tim Murray saying you need puck moving defensemen and not big guys to clear the net. Now he may have been oversimplifying things, but I found it ironic because his uncle saw that's all the Sabres had in '07 and made them poop their britches.

There isn't much to go back and forth on these days.....the team got some trustworthy stewards to run the ship, so I give the benefit of the doubt for the most part.

The only reason Murray beating Ruff was triggered was because of Tim Murray saying you need puck moving defensemen and not big guys to clear the net. Now he may have been oversimplifying things, but I found it ironic because his uncle saw that's all the Sabres had in '07 and made them poop their britches.

So this is the new schtick? You can't get all riled up about the present so you want to re-hash a series from 6 years ago? A series in which 4 games were decided by 1 goal, two in overtime and one decided by a fluke goal? And the reason this happened was because Bryan befuddled the "puck-moving" defense?

Talk to you later.

So this is the new schtick? You can't get all riled up about the present so you want to re-hash a series from 6 years ago? A series in which 4 games were decided by 1 goal, two in overtime and one decided by a fluke goal? And the reason this happened was because Bryan befuddled the "puck-moving" defense?

Talk to you later.

Yes....that series was over in the 1st period of Game #1.....feel free to find the tape.....

I'm pretty much good with things now. Other than being stranded with a blizzard and bronchitis in a week with major hirings, I think I sit back here now. Not much to do but let the sauce cook and stir every now and then. Dinner isn't for awhile. At least I can trust the chefs now not to stick dirty syringes in the pot....

New general manager has said he expects the Sabres to make a large step forward in two drafts. He does not see process over long for them to become competitive. Removing tag and making him permanent head coach with a contract extension is saying he believes Ted Nolan a good man to groom a young team. not just not a placeholder until team gets good he given vote of confidence he important part of it. imo

Archived