Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Cody needs to hang Gillis' words up on his bathroom mirror just in case he needs reminding he needs to make Gillis eat those words.

Yeah...and we have to pray that there's not even a shred of truth in what Gillis is saying now that he knows the kid, or we all know this team is going to bring that monster right out of him. :blink:

Yeah...and we have to pray that there's not even a shred of truth in what Gillis is saying now that he knows the kid, or we all know this team is going to bring that monster right out of him. :blink:

I'm thinking Serenity. Anyone said Miranda around Cody?

There is a great deal of respect out there for the Kings. Quick is taking his place as one of the best young goalies in the game and has people looking at the Kings differently.

How could last year be "enough?" Not sure what you mean there?

Kings have been an offensive force for a while, most people said they underperformed during the season and were more dangerous than most 8th seeds. Combine that with the Sedin injury and the constant questions about Luongo plus the already unhappy fan base and the so called upset wasn't really a surprise.

Question: You've said before how one good season proves nothing when talking about Miller, how can you say Quick is regarded as one of the best young goalies in the game with only one good season?

I just read the WGR article on the front page. It amazes me that given the first opportunity quite a number of Sabre 'fans' in and out of the media will ###### all over the team. I hate football and the British culture behind it but at least they know how to support their teams. :(.

EDIT: May sound harsh but I believe that it's too early to say who 'won' the deal but I believe both teams got what they needed. If they don't use Kass correctly and he doesn't develop then thats their choice. Hodgson is supposed to be a good centre with 1st line potential and despite the ridiculous amount of line swapping he did look good even if he didn't score at a PPG pace. Also have to remember he played more games and more away games than any other rookie this season, in fact I think more than any player (not sure about that though).

Edited by RazielSabre

Not going to disagree with any of that, but it's really irrelevant for what I said. If the Sabres had a Hart winner, Hart finalist, Selke winner, consecutive Presidents' Trophies, coming off of a season losing in game 7 of the Finals....and they got bounced out in 5 games to an 8 seed? They would be getting thoroughly crushed by most, but the pre-existing critics in particular. Yet it happens to Vancouver, and they're still treated as a sparkling franchise by the same people who would crush the Sabres in identical circumstances.

I think it is as simple as there is a level of Vancouver respect for Vancouver as a franchise that just isn't there with the Sabres. It may be due to all the ownership changes, Status Quo, the lack of superstar's or that Vancouver is a Canadian city.

I just read the WGR article on the front page. It amazes me that given the first opportunity quite a number of Sabre 'fans' in and out of the media will ###### all over the team. I hate football and the British culture behind it but at least they know how to support their teams. :(.

I have to agree with this, it seems Buffalo fans are a very pessimistic munch. I am happy with the way this team is generally going, disappointed with where they are atm and excited for the draft/FA and most importantly next season.

As for Coho, i don't think there is anything wrong with asking for more ice time if you have earnt it. I can understand why is was apprehensive about his playing time. I would rather go to a middle of the road franchise and play a big role in its quest for the cup than play 6 minutes on the top team. Four years is a long time to not get a shot at a top 6 pairing. I also wonder about requesting trades, is it a bit like college confirmations that you can heavily hint that you want one, but coming out and requesting one is pretty much definitive?

Anyway, i hope Coho is here for a long time and the reaction the van fans have to him should be taken seriously, just as we rag on Roy for being lazy and presuming he does nothing but party and drink etc. i am sure they do the same about their players - the only difference is that in this case, they like him :P

I'm thinking Serenity. Anyone said Miranda around Cody?

Kings have been an offensive force for a while, most people said they underperformed during the season and were more dangerous than most 8th seeds. Combine that with the Sedin injury and the constant questions about Luongo plus the already unhappy fan base and the so called upset wasn't really a surprise.

Question: You've said before how one good season proves nothing when talking about Miller, how can you say Quick is regarded as one of the best young goalies in the game with only one good season?

Looking at the past 3 seasons, you can see a progression in Quick's game and his numbers. His save % has increased each season and his gaa has gone down each season. You see, it's not about one season, it's his entire body of work.

Looking at the past 3 seasons, you can see a progression in Quick's game and his numbers. His save % has increased each season and his gaa has gone down each season. You see, it's not about one season, it's his entire body of work.

I'm not disagreeing, if Quick keeps it up he'll be one of the best goalies to have ever played in the NHL. If. All I'm saying is that his proven as much as Miller has, except his at an earlier stage of his career. The other difference is they have a more consistent team with a higher skill level whereas Miller has to deal with subpar teams for a number of seasons. Again not saying either is better, just that judging one as a good goalie based on one Veniza worth season and some other good ones and saying the other is disappointing based on exactly the same stat is hypocrisy.

Also, GAA is an awful stat, its how well the team plays defensively as well as the goalie, using it to judge a goalie is as stupid as the GM of the year award or some of Shannyban's suspensions imo.

I have to agree with this, it seems Buffalo fans are a very pessimistic munch. I am happy with the way this team is generally going, disappointed with where they are atm and excited for the draft/FA and most importantly next season.

As for Coho, i don't think there is anything wrong with asking for more ice time if you have earnt it. I can understand why is was apprehensive about his playing time. I would rather go to a middle of the road franchise and play a big role in its quest for the cup than play 6 minutes on the top team. Four years is a long time to not get a shot at a top 6 pairing. I also wonder about requesting trades, is it a bit like college confirmations that you can heavily hint that you want one, but coming out and requesting one is pretty much definitive?

Anyway, i hope Coho is here for a long time and the reaction the van fans have to him should be taken seriously, just as we rag on Roy for being lazy and presuming he does nothing but party and drink etc. i am sure they do the same about their players - the only difference is that in this case, they like him :P

I get the impression that asking for a trade is pretty much media hype unless your name is Heatley or Kovalev. Most reports say Luongo will waive his NMC but some do say that he is requesting a trade, dramatising it a bit.

It's pretty hard to dispute this trade was made because each GM was convinced the player he gave up was never going to be the player the fans were hoping for.

This thread is going to be pretty funny in five years when we realize we were arguing about Taylor Pyatt for Jamie Lundmark.

Was not aware of the back story on Hodgson's Dad and found it very interesting.

But I'd really like to hear GoDD explain why something Cody's dad may or may not have said in a moment of frustration when Cody was five is going to have an impact on the Sabres in the near future.

Edited by dudacek

I think it is as simple as there is a level of Vancouver respect for Vancouver as a franchise that just isn't there with the Sabres. It may be due to all the ownership changes, Status Quo, the lack of superstar's or that Vancouver is a Canadian city.

I think there's certainly some merit to that, and organizational reputation is certainly built over a long period of time. Having said that, I absolutely despise the logic of "Gillis' team has won back to back Presidents' Trophies, so obviously he got the better of Regier". First of all no GM is infallible, and secondly, Gillis wasn't even close to being principally responsible for the team currently in Vancouver. The Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Schneider, Luongo, Bieksa....they were all there before he took over. His acquisitions include Booth (decent), Hamhuis (excellent), Ballard (who is currently a Leino-esque salary albatross), plus his deadline acquisitions this season which (at least for now), flopped. I get that Vancouver as a franchise has a better reputation than the Sabres, however, Gillis has done absolutely nothing personally to earn some sort of superior reputation where it's assumed he knows more than another team in a trade.

It's pretty hard to dispute this trade was made because each GM was convinced the player he gave up was never going to be the player the fans were hoping for.

This thread is going to be pretty funny in five years when we realize we were arguing about Taylor Pyatt for Jamie Lundmark.

Was not aware of the back story on Hodgson's Dad and found it very interesting.

But I'd really like to hear GoDD explain why something Cody's dad may or may not have said in a moment of frustration when Cody was five is going to have an impact on the Sabres in the near future.

It's a good point. I have no idea what it means for the Sabres. We did get confirmation the other day though that he drove the Canucks batty. There were plenty of articles over the past 3 years saying Hodgsons dad was involved heavily.......that's the only reason I found out about his political escapades. It was just a giant red flag that perked my interest, leading to another giant red flag. When you add them up.......it's a lot easier in my opinion to temper the excitement of a homerun.

As a player in himself...I like Hodgson's vision....i really do. He has a nack that many top centers in the past have had of anticipating where the puck should be before the guy even gets there. Haven't seen that on a consistant basis in Buffalo in a while so that is a huge plus. At the same time like Gillis said, if Vancouver develops Kassian properly, he is one of 5 guys in the league that would be a monster. You can't get those guys. It goes to the old debate of who is more valuable to a team....Lucic or Spezza? That's the upside for both these guys.

It's a good point. I have no idea what it means for the Sabres. We did get confirmation the other day though that he drove the Canucks batty. There were plenty of articles over the past 3 years saying Hodgsons dad was involved heavily.......that's the only reason I found out about his political escapades. It was just a giant red flag that perked my interest, leading to another giant red flag. When you add them up.......it's a lot easier in my opinion to temper the excitement of a homerun.

As a player in himself...I like Hodgson's vision....i really do. He has a nack that many top centers in the past have had of anticipating where the puck should be before the guy even gets there. Haven't seen that on a consistant basis in Buffalo in a while so that is a huge plus. At the same time like Gillis said, if Vancouver develops Kassian properly, he is one of 5 guys in the league that would be a monster. You can't get those guys. It goes to the old debate of who is more valuable to a team....Lucic or Spezza? That's the upside for both these guys.

Couldn't the answer be...it depends? In a vacuum, I take the center every time...but we don't operate in a vacuum. I'm sure a team like Philly or Pittsburgh would be better off adding Lucic than Spezza. But the Sabres? I'm not sure I could be convinced that Lucic makes the Sabres better than Spezza would. I honestly feel the only way the Sabres lose this trade is if Hodgson busts and Kassian hits his potential. If they both hit their potential? It may be on of those rare win-win trades.

Maybe Gretzky isn't the best example considering his wife laundered millions worth of wagers for NHL executives.

I added an extension to my web browser that adds an asterisk anytime anything refers to a gretzky record or oilers stanley cup.

I remember years ago on Jim Rome's radio show (probably 7ish years ago) he had a guest on who used to serve as a "game fixer" or whatever you want to call him for the mob. He copped a plea and served as an informant for the FBI, and is still under witness protection to this day and has to relocate every few years. Anyway, he said that gambling has influence on over 60% of games. Of course this doesn't mean outcomes are predetermined, but I found it interesting. I have no idea how credible the guy is, nor do I pretend to know exactly how often gambling influence actually alters outcomes, but it's definitely an interview I'll never forget.

I added an extension to my web browser that adds an asterisk anytime anything refers to a gretzky record or oilers stanley cup.

Don't bother with this particular conspiracy theory; she wasn't Janet Gretzky until 1988.

I remember years ago on Jim Rome's radio show (probably 7ish years ago) he had a guest on who used to serve as a "game fixer" or whatever you want to call him for the mob. He copped a plea and served as an informant for the FBI, and is still under witness protection to this day and has to relocate every few years. Anyway, he said that gambling has influence on over 60% of games. Of course this doesn't mean outcomes are predetermined, but I found it interesting. I have no idea how credible the guy is, nor do I pretend to know exactly how often gambling influence actually alters outcomes, but it's definitely an interview I'll never forget.

It's not huge, but I'm sure it happens. It used to happen much more decades ago when players didn't make big time money and the "family" had a wider influence on things.

People will ask me if horse racing is rigged. I can only be honest and say, bet the big tracks and the big races with nice purses and you will never have a problem. It's too tempting for people when the purse is $5000 and the winning jockey gets $300. If he's on the favorite, it's a heck of a lot more profitable to blow the race and have the 6-1 shot go by you with $200 bet on his nose. Even in those types of tracks and races it doesn't happen very often, or else someone would kill somebody. If you watch the toteboards very closely you can pick up if something is fishy. 95% of the time there is nothing to worry about.