OT - State of the Union Address

inkman

I'm going to be a pendant for a second, since the bombardment was during the war of 1812. On a side note, I saw that exact flag last summer in DC. It's on display is a special low-light room in the American History museum in DC.

http://www.americanh...on-project.aspx

Cool glad you got that right. Sorry got my history mixed up (that's why I was lacking a lot of details).

I just can't believe they honored a TV screen before the last two debates.

It was meant as a joke. I'm not a Rick Santorum fan, especially with some of his rather unflattering remarks that he made recently. (Granted, I have never supported Obama, and I never will, but Santorum proved to me that he can be equally divisive as well.)

There were a lot of bars that claimed the smoking laws would destroy their business (including one in Binghamton that pro-actively closed). I haven't noticed the bars being empty lately. My point is people often over-react before finding out what's really going to happen. Time will tell, but I suspect people that want to make money and expand will find a way to do it.

Matt..There are approx 60% fewer drinking establishments, ie bars, in upstate NY than there were in the 1980's-1990s. A number of reasons are responsible for this dramatic decline, but foremost on the list is legislative intervention .Liscense fee increases, enhanced drunk driving penalties, alcohol tax increases, minimum wage icreases, increased dram shop liability exposure, dramatic increases in the cost of Workers compensation and Unemployment Insurance costs in New york, and yes .anti smoking legislation have all contributed to a dramatic decline in an industry that used to employ hundred of thousands of people in upstate NY cities, towns and villages.The industry was destroyed by the activists in the legislature and the Governors office who wanted to impose their anti drinking philosphy on your life style.

Matt..There are approx 60% fewer drinking establishments, ie bars, in upstate NY than there were in the 1980's-1990s. A number of reasons are responsible for this dramatic decline, but foremost on the list is legislative intervention .Liscense fee increases, enhanced drunk driving penalties, tax increases, increased dram shop liability exposure and yes anti smoking legislation have all contributed to a dramatic decline in an industry that used to employ hundred of thousands of people in upstate NY cities, towns and villages.The industry was destroyed by the activists in the legislature and the Governors office who wanted to impose their anti drinking philosphy on you life style.

To play off of that tangent, if I understand this correctly, the environmentalist activists that have a major stronghold in the legislature have pretty much put a stop to any attempt at drilling in the Marcellus Shale. The husband of one of my Facebook friends is a geologist by trade and has lobbied in favor of drilling there (and Carl Paladino has also supported this in the past), but the environmentalists have used fear and scare tactics to mostly silence him.

Matt..There are approx 60% fewer drinking establishments, ie bars, in upstate NY than there were in the 1980's-1990s. A number of reasons are responsible for this dramatic decline, but foremost on the list is legislative intervention .Liscense fee increases, enhanced drunk driving penalties, tax increases, increased dram shop liability exposure and yes anti smoking legislation have all contributed to a dramatic decline in an industry that used to employ hundred of thousands of people in upstate NY cities, towns and villages.The industry was destroyed by the activists in the legislature and the Governors office who wanted to impose their anti drinking philosphy on you life style.

Don't forget about the Morticians, EMTs, Collision Repair Shops, ER Nurses, and Oncologists that are also out of work. These laws, especially DWI laws, were an unmitigated economic disaster.

To play off of that tangent, if I understand this correctly, the environmentalist activists that have a major stronghold in the legislature have pretty much put a stop to any attempt at drilling in the Marcellus Shale. The husband of one of my Facebook friends is a geologist by trade and has lobbied in favor of drilling there (and Carl Paladino has also supported this in the past), but the environmentalists have used fear and scare tactics to mostly silence him.

Yes you are correct . The enviormentalist have also stopped just about all development in the Adriondack Park, eliminated most mining operations in NYS , destroyed the leather tanning industry,forced the shut down of Shoream and single handedly blocked the building of nuclear power plants and the burning of coal to generate electricity in upstate NY.Their control of the regulatory appartus in ECON has been devastating to the few remaining manufacturing industries in NYS. Their future agenda is down right totalitarian. But that is what you get when you let leftists govern.

IMO. Carl is at heart a liberal democrat. He spends far more money supporting the liberal democrats in the NYS Senate than he does supporting the conservative issues he likes to talk about publically.His political director works for the democrat minority in the NYS Senate and he is an x Erie county democratic chairman. It was Carls large contribution late in the election that got DiNapoli elected as State Comptroller and his contibutions to the liberal democrats in the NYS Senate that helped take the majority away from the Republicans two years ago.

Yes you are correct . The enviormentalist have also stopped just about all development in the Adriondack Park, eliminated most mining operations in NYS , destroyed the leather tanning industry,forced the shut down of Shoream and single handedly blocked the building of nuclear power plants and the burning of coal to generate electricity in upstate NY.Their control of the regulatory appartus in ECON has been devastating to the few remaining manufacturing industries in NYS. Their future agenda is down right totalitarian. But that is what you get when you let leftists govern.

Aren't these all positives? :devil:

if you live in NYC and do not have to cope with any of the consequences i guess they are all positives!. :w00t:

The problem here is a lack of foresight though. Yes the destruction of those industries has immediate impact on workers in those industries, but it's also the price of progress. We as a nation need to move towards better environmental practices and the endorsement of better technology.

It's going to cost people jobs, but that's a consequence that we have to deal with. Refusal to change and adapt for principle's sake is why transitions aren't as smooth as they could be.

The problem here is a lack of foresight though. Yes the destruction of those industries has immediate impact on workers in those industries, but it's also the price of progress. We as a nation need to move towards better environmental practices and the endorsement of better technology.

It's going to cost people jobs, but that's a consequence that we have to deal with. Refusal to change and adapt for principle's sake is why transitions aren't as smooth as they could be.

While upstate NY transitions to nothingness and pays the price for enviormental progress ,the rest of the country prospers doing the things that used to get done here. That attitude is why my buisness and its employees are no longer here and although my favorite hockey team remains, although I anticipate that in another ten years they too will be forced to go for economic reasons.. Xerox, Kodak, Miller brewery,a dozen steel mills, soon Carrier, and hundreds of others all lost to the politics of NY. Replaced by welfare, medicaid, medicare, food stamps, housing assistence, ..The price of progress i guess.

Some of us understand that nothing is free. We question whether or not the price is reasonable.

While upstate NY transitions to nothingness and pays the price for enviormental progress ,the rest of the country prospers doing the things that used to get done here. That attitude is why my buisness and its employees are no longer here and although my team remains I anticipate that in another ten years they will be gone too..

So it's in no way your business's fault for not seeing the writing on the wall? It's all the state and environmentalists sticking it to you, not anything that you could have avoided? I find that hard to believe.

Kodak was totally destroyed by environmentalists promoting the use of inefficient "digital" camera technology to reduce the so called "chemical" impact of film manufacturing and development.

Koday was destroyed because the people running it were too stupid to see the future of digital technology. Shifting the blame to environmentalists is asinine. No one but Kodak is responsible for Kodak's failure.

Kodak was totally destroyed by environmentalists promoting the use of inefficient "digital" camera technology to reduce the so called "chemical" impact of film manufacturing and development.

60,000 jobs gone in a flash, thanks a lot, green-movement.

I can't agree with that perspective. It wasn't environmentalists promoting digital technology, it was folks who saw that digital is a better product for their needs. Kodak had a chance to get in that market and bshrugged it off.

So it's in no way your business's fault for not seeing the writing on the wall? It's all the state and environmentalists sticking it to you, not anything that you could have avoided? I find that hard to believe.

did not say that dark one.. a combination of factors, cost of buisness being important but not the only one... Kodak really got hurt by foreign competition.. which was subsidized,and used their technology when digital photography was in its enfancy, but they made grave strategic mistakes too, especially with their unions and in product line development..the japanese ate them alive. ironic given the fact Deming built their post war economy

as an example ...why do you think the new volt battery facility, the five japanese auto plants that have been built in the south in the last ten years are not here or the new Boeing Plant ?.Cost of doing buisness, and enviormental regulation is a big part of that. When buisnesses ask us for strategic advice NY is always way down on the list when the analysis is completed unless it is a regional product or serrvice.my typing is horrible geez. never had to do any.

Archived