On This Date in Sabres' History

frissonic

So, just because everyone is so doom and gloom right now (and, of course, not without obvious cause), I decided to see where we stood at this point last year.

Fact: We were 8 points out of 8th on this very date last year.

Also Fact: We are currently 5 points out of 8th, 8 points out of 6th.

We managed to claw back last year. I reservedly say this, but I would not be surprised if they come back and earn a playoff spot.

Question is ... will they? I think The weekend games are going to be extremely telling.

If this team somehow makes the playoffs they are still going to get bounced in the first round. They don't have the salt to stand up in a 4-7 game series against anyone, let alone a playoff team.

disagree. they have it. they've shown it. they just don't show it for all of any single game. they show it in spurts. you can even go back as far as game 5 of the rangers/sabres series in '07. that game, they played hard for approximately 11 seconds, and in the 11 seconds, got the goal they needed to send the game to OT. if they had played that way the whole game, there wouldn't have been OT. the same can be said for literally hundreds of games since. WHEN they play a full 60-minute game, they're extremely dangerous ... but those games are so few and far between that they crap themselves down to the bottom of the standings.

So, just because everyone is so doom and gloom right now (and, of course, not without obvious cause), I decided to see where we stood at this point last year.

Fact: We were 8 points out of 8th on this very date last year.

Also Fact: We are currently 5 points out of 8th, 8 points out of 6th.

We managed to claw back last year. I reservedly say this, but I would not be surprised if they come back and earn a playoff spot.

Question is ... will they? I think The weekend games are going to be extremely telling.

The problem in my mind in your comparison of this year to last is ...

Last year they had already bottomed out by this time and had already started their climb back up. Not sure, but heading to the mid-point of the season last year the Sabres had won 5 of 6, or something like that.

IMHO, they have not reached the bottom yet this year.

The problem in my mind in your comparison of this year to last is ...

Last year they had already bottomed out by this time and had already started their climb back up. Not sure, but heading to the mid-point of the season last year the Sabres had won 5 of 6, or something like that.

IMHO, they have not reached the bottom yet this year.

tragically, i have no argument with that assessment. my only line of logic is that they don't have to claw out of an 8-point deficit. as of today, they're still only 5 out of 8th.

though yah--not having won 2 straight since practically the beginning of the season is starting to get really, *really* old.

Archived