I'm Really Happy with 4th Place

PTS

I've come to terms that we won't catch Ottawa. They are running away and their schedule is pretty favorable.

I also really like our potential match-up with the Flyers. I would hope that someone upsets one of the top three seeds in the first round so we don't have to face Ottawa in the 2nd round.

I really think we should rest Connolly and Hecht as LONG as possible. I would also rest Numminen every few games and apparently Lydman as well as he's having recurring minor injury problems. I would start rotating players in and out of the lineup at the first sign of any fatigue. I'd play Ryan 3 out of every 4.

Just to clear up any confusing, I'm not saying we just give up on first, but I don't think we should compromise our playoffs for 1st in the conference. Basically, if it's there for the taking then take it ... but if not, we should all be happy with a 4th place finish.

I have to say I am beginning to take the same attitude, although I don't want them to let up because it seems like just starting up the engines into hyper mode when it's playoff time seems a bit hard when you've been on cruise control going into it.

We should definitely rest Numminen and Lydman at some point coming up because defense is huge, and maybe Marty should play 5 or 6 games of the remaining 15 so that Miller had enough playing time but isn't overworked either.

I want Hecht and Connolly healthy for sure because those knee injuries could flare up again if they don't give it enough time. Hecht is such a huge part of the team...I realize this now. If Briere and Drury can really lead the way leadership-wise along with some help, they shouldn't be unprepared. The worst thing to see would be for them to go into the playoffs tentatively like they played the Ottawa game. Like Danny said, there are some things they have to work on before the postseason.

Would we really play Ottawa in the second if things remained like this? Hmm, I hope something gives and we can somehow avoid them, not necessarily because they are scary but also because there are just some teams that have your number and this year, Ottawa does.

No offense, but I think that is a real bullsh*t attitude. Winners do not settle and don't believe for a second that if the Sabres managment and Ruff start taking this way they will advance anywhere in the playoffs. You don't rest your players down the stretch, you go after it and believe in them! That is the only reason they have gotten this far. Don't change now. Keep pushing them and keep pushing forward for the division. I know that as Buffalo fans we have had our hearts broken more than anywhere else but c'mon, after two poor efforts and losses in 60+ games this is where we go???? We already start settling???? Toughen up for crying out loud and let's go get 'em!!!!

Let's go Buffalo!!!! Carolina is a huge game!

I've come to terms that we won't catch Ottawa. They are running away and their schedule is pretty favorable.

I also really like our potential match-up with the Flyers. I would hope that someone upsets one of the top three seeds in the first round so we don't have to face Ottawa in the 2nd round.

I really think we should rest Connolly and Hecht as LONG as possible. I would also rest Numminen every few games and apparently Lydman as well as he's having recurring minor injury problems. I would start rotating players in and out of the lineup at the first sign of any fatigue. I'd play Ryan 3 out of every 4.

Just to clear up any confusing, I'm not saying we just give up on first, but I don't think we should compromise our playoffs for 1st in the conference. Basically, if it's there for the taking then take it ... but if not, we should all be happy with a 4th place finish.

I can definitely envision the Rangers losing in the 1st round. Depending on the matchup, Carolina minus Cole could be had as well, although I see that as a much lower probability. Rangers - NJ is a real possibility this year. NY is 4-2-1 vs. NJ in the regular season, but I like Brodeur against the kid.

Considering there were a very small handful of people that expected 4th or better this season, and considering how little seeding matters (matchups matter a heck of a lot more), I would rather have a healthy #4 playing the Flyers, than a banged up #2 playing the Habs.

That said, I'd still like to see 4 banners raised next opening day. But I'd settle for the one real big one that hasn't gone up yet.

No offense, but I think that is a real bullsh*t attitude. Winners do not settle and don't believe for a second that if the Sabres managment and Ruff start taking this way they will advance anywhere in the playoffs. You don't rest your players down the stretch, you go after it and believe in them! That is the only reason they have gotten this far. Don't change now. Keep pushing them and keep pushing forward for the division. I know that as Buffalo fans we have had our hearts broken more than anywhere else but c'mon, after two poor efforts and losses in 60+ games this is where we go???? We already start settling???? Toughen up for crying out loud and let's go get 'em!!!!

Sabre31, please calm down. PTS didn't say that he doesn't want to win the Prez's trophy, he just said he doesn't want to compromise the playoffs to take a run at it.

Considering this team has won games without Miller, Briere, Dumont, Connolly, Hecht, Pyatt, Kalinin, and McKee due to injuries at various times; do you really think that sitting Teppo for 2 games would give the Sabres no chance of winning those particular games?

Heck, after Rochester is eliminated from playoff contention (which will be sooner than we'd like it to be), it might be a good idea to play Paetsch and Paille for a game or 2 just to see if they would be ready if needed in the REAL season.

I agree Carolina is huge, but I also believe that the Sabres will get their 1st W against the Canes much later today. (Especially if Connolly or Paille play in place of Peters who has no useful purpose in a game against Carolina.) As I've posted previously, I would not be at all surprised to see the Sabres take 2 of the next 3 and 3 of the following 4.

I tend to agree with this. What is up with this settling for 4th place crap? (from many on this site, not just picking out PTS). To be a winner in hockey, you keep the pedal to the floor and you don't let up, no matter what. Look at how lazy this team has been the last 2 games, and they are still somewhat close to the sens in the standings...imagine how they will play after a couple weeks of "let's settle for 4th" rhetoric.

I do not agree with resting anyone, but what I will say is don't rush people back...I think that's what they did with many players this year. Briere when he was first injured, came back during the home and home with Pittsburgh and tore the abdominal even worse, Connolly and Hecht both came back waaay too quickly from knee sprains, and are now out again....dont play until you're REALLY ready. Until then, let's use some of our depth...we have some pretty talented guys in Rochester that could fill right in on this team. I would love to see someone like Paille, Novotny, Thorburn, or MacArthur skating on that third line instead of Peters....they don't even give Peters ice time, so WHY have him in there?

I take the attitude that the sabres just need to play their game and let the chips fall where they may. If it means first, then great. That means that ottawa fell on their faces. If it means 4th, then great. That just means that ottawa kept on winning. The sabres will take them in a 7 game series anyways. I'm fully confident in that fact.

I take the attitude that the sabres just need to play their game and let the chips fall where they may. If it means first, then great. That means that ottawa fell on their faces. If it means 4th, then great. That just means that ottawa kept on winning. The sabres will take them in a 7 game series anyways. I'm fully confident in that fact.

First place is more for the fans. Once the playoffs start it doesn't matter. I prefer to see the Sabres start a series with two road games. Win one and you steal home ice anyway.

First place is more for the fans. Once the playoffs start it doesn't matter. I prefer to see the Sabres start a series with two road games. Win one and you steal home ice anyway.

The big difference in home ice advantage isn't the first two games. It matter most if the series goes to seven games and you have to play the deciding(move on or go home) game on the road.

The big difference in home ice advantage isn't the first two games. It matter most if the series goes to seven games and you have to play the deciding(move on or go home) game on the road.

How many series go seven? It may seem like a lot because those are the ones you remember. Give me three out of five at home after two any day. Especialy if you win the first one? Take two on the road and coem home for three?

Any idea on the history of game sevens? Who wins more often home or road team?

After watching that third period of the Carolina game, I'm gonna make a bold prediction, and say, The sabres WILLLLL take down the sens in buffalo on Friday!! How sweet it would b to take down the same team that you started the slump against.

I think we finally saw the sabres awake again, just a few seconds too late, against Carolina. Buffalo will b back... to the team we have come to love this season. I wish i could go to this Sens game and watch buffalo rebound on this canadian pwoerhouse.....

Let's Go buffalo!!!!

Archived