Sabres sign Drew MacIntyre

Two or less

Sabres sign G Drew MacIntyre

"The 28-year-old says Montreal offered him the chance to come back to its farm team in Hamilton but his goal is to get to the NHL. When the Habs signed Peter Budaj as a free agent to back up Carey Price on the big club for two years at $2.3 million, he knew his chance wouldn't come in the Hab’s system."

Link

Now with Enroth here, why on earth would the guy think he had a real shot at cracking the NHL? Unless Darcy expressed that he would be Miller's backup in the event of a trade for Enroth / injury. Just seems a bit weird.

"The 28-year-old says Montreal offered him the chance to come back to its farm team in Hamilton but his goal is to get to the NHL. When the Habs signed Peter Budaj as a free agent to back up Carey Price on the big club for two years at $2.3 million, he knew his chance wouldn't come in the Hab’s system."

Link

Now with Enroth here, why on earth would the guy think he had a real shot at cracking the NHL? Unless Darcy expressed that he would be Miller's backup in the event of a trade for Enroth / injury. Just seems a bit weird.

You think Lindy will play this guy 15-20 games? IMO the Sabres can't win the cup without a goalie to spell Miller. Trading Enroth would set us back, unless MacIntyre is that good and Lindy is okay playing him. I think MacIntyre is more like Enroth's backup.

PTR

You think Lindy will play this guy 15-20 games? IMO the Sabres can't win the cup without a goalie to spell Miller. Trading Enroth would set us back, unless MacIntyre is that good and Lindy is okay playing him. I think MacIntyre is more like Enroth's backup.

PTR

yea I'd rather not trade Enroth. I just don't understand why the guy would think he has a better chance to play in the NHL here compared to Montreal.

I think considering Enroth's age and Budaj's age, MacIntyre probably figured he has a better chance of making the team as backup over Enroth based solely on age and experience. Yes, Enroth showed some flashes of greatness during his time up in the N, but the Sabres might feel that it would be better for him to continue his development down in the AHL. MacIntyre fills the role of a more seasoned AHLer who could be capable of a higher NHL workload.

Its possible that they are looking at a deal that will include Enroth in it. You have to give up something good to get something good in return. With the Sabres losing Lalime (or winning Lalime to FA, depends on how you view him) the Sabres needed some competition for the backup job. Budaj has more NHL experience then MacIntyre, he more then likely be given the backup spot to price. macIntyre played well enough in the AHL and Calder cup playoffs that he has a very good chance of beating out Enroth for the backup spot in Buffalo if they have a competition for the job. If he doesn't, he plays for Rochester until Miller or Enroth is hurt and then comes up to back them up

Link

I think considering Enroth's age and Budaj's age, MacIntyre probably figured he has a better chance of making the team as backup over Enroth based solely on age and experience. Yes, Enroth showed some flashes of greatness during his time up in the N, but the Sabres might feel that it would be better for him to continue his development down in the AHL. MacIntyre fills the role of a more seasoned AHLer who could be capable of a higher NHL workload.

By signing Budaj, Moe-ray-all pretty much told MacIntyre that HE isn't going to be the backup on the big club, just not in so many words.

I'd expect that Darcy & Lindy told him he'd have a chance to compete for the backup spot in Buffalo and he probably has enough faith in his own abilities to believe he can beat out a midget. If he doesn't beat out the midget (and I expect he won't) he'll still get to play in a pretty good AHL city.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres gave him a pretty decent offer $-wise. He probably went for the 1 year deal so that if he doesn't beat out Enroth, he isn't stuck in the Sabres system long term. If he does beat out Enroth, and the Sabres decide they want to keep him as the backup, there will be plenty of time to work out a deal in the new year before FA hits.

Archived