Why Trade for a Center when you can do this...

Warriorspikes51

Trade for Keith Yandle from PHX. He is hesitant to sign a long-term deal there due to the question marks surrounding whether PHX will move or not. We could have Myers(presumably), Yandle, Ehrhoff locked up long term. Acquiring this player would give us an insanely talented defense that could overcome the shortcomings at center up front. Since the trend has been to build up the defense (and they have done an exceptional job), why not keep doing it if the opportunity is available. Ruff really loves creating offense from the defense joining the rush and getting Yandle helps that even more.

Considering how we want to win now, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Darcy and company have at least tossed around the idea. The question is what would it take to get him....

Myers Regehr

Yandle Ehrhoff

Leopold Weber

Gragnani

:worthy: :clapping:

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine Phoenix wanting to take on $20 million in salary.

That, and Shane Doan wouldn't waive his no trade clause to come here. In fact, i don't think he'd waive it to go anywhere. He's gonna play til he drops in Phoenix, and if the team moves, he'll retire.

Here's my idea for Yandle...

Trade Weber, Sekera, Vanek, Boyes, Pomminstein and a 2nd pick next year for

Yandle, Doan, and Hanzal

I would do that trade in a minute.

They have the space and given their doubtful future, what better way to get promising talent?

What is so "promising" about paying Boyes and Pominville $9.3 million for one season and then having them become unrestricted free agents?

Not to mention that while I love Doan, I'd much rather have 27-year old Vanek for 3 more seasons than 34-year old Doan in the last year of his deal.

Here's my idea for Yandle...

Trade Weber, Sekera, Vanek, Boyes, Pomminstein and a 2nd pick next year for

Yandle, Doan, and Hanzal

I would do that trade in a minute.

I would add Leino, Ennis, Stafford and especially DR to your list and then rename the team the Desert Bisons.

What is so "promising" about paying Boyes and Pominville $9.3 million for one season and then having them become unrestricted free agents?

Not to mention that while I love Doan, I'd much rather have 27-year old Vanek for 3 more seasons than 34-year old Doan in the last year of his deal.

And I would not. Sure Doan is on the downside, but we could use his experience and abilities, even now. He would easily be a top six forward. But the prize in this trade for us would be Yandle and Hanzal - a 6'5", 220 lb. center just entering the breakout period in his career.

The "promising talent" I referred to is obviously not Pomminstein or Boyes - you do see that, don't you? Obviously I'm referring to Weber and Sekera.

By ridding ourselves of an overpaid player like Pomminstein and our extra talent on defense, we would pick up a future all-star defenseman, a potential first line center, and an experienced talent on right wing.

That, and Shane Doan wouldn't waive his no trade clause to come here. In fact, i don't think he'd waive it to go anywhere. He's gonna play til he drops in Phoenix, and if the team moves, he'll retire.

Yep. I live in Phoenix and Doaner ain't going nowhere. He loves it here and I do think he would retire then move on.

Yep. I live in Phoenix and Doaner ain't going nowhere. He loves it here and I do think he would retire then move on.

That's a different issue. I was speaking of the trade for what it is. NMCs and such are another matter entirely, of course.

personally i think our defense is fine without Yandle.. he doesn't add THAT much that Leopold or Sekera or whoever he would be replacing does..

Yandle won't be an instant superstar, but he will be in the next few years...certainly by the time Regehr's contract is up. But he's just a part of the trade value IMO. Hanzal is important for our future and Doan is a veteran who would give us the offense we need right now.

BTW, anyone thinking of Ladd? Negotiations are not going well and it looks like arbitration. Adam for Ladd? Just an idea, but if we can trade for his rights and lose some salary, there might be a fit.

Similar situation in NY with Dubinsky and Callahan.

BTW, anyone thinking of Ladd? Negotiations are not going well and it looks like arbitration. Adam for Ladd? Just an idea, but if we can trade for his rights and lose some salary, there might be a fit.

Similar situation in NY with Dubinsky and Callahan.

Would love to get Callahan.

Would love to get Callahan.

I would prefer Dubinsky myself. Mostly I wonder if Callahan's body can hold up with his style of play and smaller frame.

I would put the over/under for games played per year for Callahan somewhere around 62.

In he meantime, he's a fun player to watch and leaves it all on the ice. Quite a change from Jagr and Nylander Rangers of 5 years ago.

Trade for Keith Yandle from PHX. He is hesitant to sign a long-term deal there due to the question marks surrounding whether PHX will move or not. We could have Myers(presumably), Yandle, Ehrhoff locked up long term. Acquiring this player would give us an insanely talented defense that could overcome the shortcomings at center up front. Since the trend has been to build up the defense (and they have done an exceptional job), why not keep doing it if the opportunity is available. Ruff really loves creating offense from the defense joining the rush and getting Yandle helps that even more.

Considering how we want to win now, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Darcy and company have at least tossed around the idea. The question is what would it take to get him....

Myers Regehr

Yandle Ehrhoff

Leopold Weber

Gragnani

:worthy: :clapping:

Trading for a center may be a moot point. According to an article in the News, "The Sabres needed a center, and though Leino played left wing with the Flyers, he'll be in the middle with Buffalo. He played center growing up and prefers the position." Perhaps the "old" Darcy (who put together the 2005-06 team) is back. He certainly seems to have done his homework on Leino.

News Article

The "promising talent" I referred to is obviously not Pomminstein or Boyes - you do see that, don't you? Obviously I'm referring to Weber and Sekera.

experienced talent on right wing.

yes, i see that. And i understand why you like Yandle and Hanzal. I'll even give you Doan over Vanek since we have to give them something in the deal just from a hockey standpoint. My objection is that it is wildly unrealistic to think that a franchise bleeding money is going to take on all that salary while giving up younger, cheaper talent like yandle and hanzal. Basically you are asking them to trade doan (face of the franchise), yandle (best player last season) and hanzal (rare legit center with size) for Vanek and two defensemen who yes are promising but very unproven. Yeah, you are throwing in pommer and boyes to even it out hockey-wise, but you know they are unlikely part of the future for them and the reality is the pricetag on those guys is just doing us a favor and getting them very little return. (not to mention they just took on 3 wingers while giving up a center and not getting one back ... It may be "fair" but i am not sure it really makes them better.)

And I would not. Sure Doan is on the downside, but we could use his experience and abilities, even now. He would easily be a top six forward. But the prize in this trade for us would be Yandle and Hanzal - a 6'5", 220 lb. center just entering the breakout period in his career.

By ridding ourselves of an overpaid player like Pomminstein and our extra talent on defense, we would pick up a future all-star defenseman, a potential first line center, and an experienced talent on right wing.

Doan is done in a couple of years or so.

Yandle won't be an instant superstar, but he will be in the next few years...certainly by the time Regehr's contract is up. But he's just a part of the trade value IMO. Hanzal is important for our future and Doan is a veteran who would give us the offense we need right now.

Where were the Sabres ranked offensively last season? Where do you expect them to be this year with a healthy DR, an improved power play, Ville Leino as a potential true 1 center and Ehroff? I like Doan but he is 1. old 2. would never leave and 3. his numbers are not that awesome. He has no upside. Hanzal is all potential.. Yandle i got to give you but that trade takes a lot less firepower to do.

Where were the Sabres ranked offensively last season? Where do you expect them to be this year with a healthy DR, an improved power play, Ville Leino as a potential true 1 center and Ehroff? I like Doan but he is 1. old 2. would never leave and 3. his numbers are not that awesome. He has no upside. Hanzal is all potential.. Yandle i got to give you but that trade takes a lot less firepower to do.

ninth no? Offense wasn't our biggest problem last season, not by a long shot! it was team defense, back checking, and suspicious goal tending at times (by all parties involved, less Enroth during his flashy streak at the end of the season) I think if we were to get a good defensive forward, we'd be set, and as far as I can tell, Leino is very responsible defensively.

I think we need to sit for now, and if a good offer comes our way or becomes available, maybe pull the trigger, but i like this teams chances right now, as it stands.

Archived