Devine intervention

dudacek

Kevin Devine became Buffalo’s chief scout right around the same time we made our heavily ridiculed shift to more video scouting.

Since the two are almost impossible to separate, I’d invite you to consider what that combination has come up with during the past four years:

Round one

Mark Pysyk (top junior, WJC candidate)

Zack Kassian (top junior, WJC player)

Tyler Myers (top junior, WJC player, NHL rookie of the year)

Tyler Ennis (top junior, WJC player, AHL rookie of the year, NHL player)

Later

Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (top junior, WJC candidate)

Brayden McNabb (top junior, WJC candidate)

Marcus Foligno (top junior, WJC player)

Luke Adam (top junior, WJC player, AHL rookie of the year, part-time NHL player)

Paul Byron (top junior, part-time NHL player)

Drew Schiestel (AHL all-star)

TJ Brennan (WJC candidate)

Some of these may have peaked. Other picks may emerge. Time, obviously, is needed to pass definitive judgment.

But considering that, considering what other teams have done during the same time frame and considering the Sabres’ highest pick in this period has been 12th, how would you rank its draft performance in the Devine/video era?

You won't see me complaining about Darcy's drafting record. Thus, Devine's or the video scoutings. But now combining that awesome video scouting with actual in person scouting as well, imagine how much better that scouting is going to be.. I wish I knew more about other team's farm systems so I could compare if ours is top notch or if we're just hanging on at the average.

You won't see me complaining about Darcy's drafting record. Thus, Devine's or the video scoutings. But now combining that awesome video scouting with actual in person scouting as well, imagine how much better that scouting is going to be.. I wish I knew more about other team's farm systems so I could compare if ours is top notch or if we're just hanging on at the average.

That's what they do.

From my understanding, it is not exclusively video scouting. It is a first pass video scouting where they narrow down to the guys they want to hone in on, and then do in-person scouting. This definitely cuts down on the scouting time and travel costs. However, one thing that I noticed from the list posted in the first post, many if not all of the players drafted in the video era are North American. This would mean that the "video scouting era" was more than just video scouting but also included a reigning in of travel and international scouting as well, and heavier reliance on video scouting for international prospects than in-person scouting.

With the new management, I think video scouting will continue to be used as a first pass tool as that seems to be effective in narrowing the choices down and is cost effective. However, I imagine the budget will open up for more international scouting and tapping into good markets like Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, and potentially Russia although have to consider without the transfer agreement. I'm excited about the expansion of the scouting department. Will make the Sabres better.

No doubt, the Sabres' recent drafts have been top-notch. Everyone is longing for a big free-agent signing this July, but I think this team is going to be awesome in a year or two no matter what.

Watched Rob Ray's show this week.

If his sentiments echo what will go down ....the team is looking to trade first.

If his sentiments echo what will go down ....the team is looking to trade first.

Darcy has stated his opinions on UFA & RFA, and for the most part, I agree. You don't build your team through free agency, you compliment it. I see the Sabres biggest acquisition coming through trade while less significant UFA or two to fill out the roster with experience & leadership.

I think that is true and the plan as well to look for trade options first. However, I think that may be more due to the free agent crop this season than an unwillingness to sign free agents. This year's class is not very good and it is especially thin at center after Brad Richards, so the Sabres are likely going to have to go the trade route this year.

I think overall, long term, they probably are no longer opposed to being players in the UFA market and that will likely play out over the next few years. But, this year's class is weak, so it's not worth it. I think the draft and everything after is where the Sabres are going to play.

I could be way wrong here but i'll say it anyways.

I don't think you can grade a success of a draft based on first round talent. Got to look for steals to pick up a good draft. It's easier to draft well in the 1st round. We've had some problems recently in mid round picks, which Darcy had a good record in that category prior to video scouting. Also, i believe the Sabres have a on-the-ground scout in the WHL and thus get tons of report back, which could explain why Darcy have been big on WHL players early on... Myers, Pysyk, Ennis...

I think you need both.

Grabbing a few Kaletas, or even better, a Miller in the mid-rounds can really make a team,

But taking Robert Nilsson in the first when Zach Parise is on the table can really break it.

I could be way wrong here but i'll say it anyways.

I don't think you can grade a success of a draft based on first round talent. Got to look for steals to pick up a good draft. It's easier to draft well in the 1st round. We've had some problems recently in mid round picks, which Darcy had a good record in that category prior to video scouting. Also, i believe the Sabres have a on-the-ground scout in the WHL and thus get tons of report back, which could explain why Darcy have been big on WHL players early on... Myers, Pysyk, Ennis...

I think you need both.

Grabbing a few Kaletas, or even better, a Miller in the mid-rounds can really make a team,

But taking Robert Nilsson in the first when Zach Parise is on the table can really break it.

I agree with both of these. The successful or failure of a draft by and large is determined by the steals you make in the later rounds. But, it's very difficult to project and is often times a crapshoot. So, can you blame Darcy for drafting Nathan Paetsch ahead of Joe Pavelski, Dustin Byfuglien, and Tobias Enstrom? Who knew these guys would become superstars at the time? I mean Pavelski was a 7th rounder and Byfuglien and Enstrom were 8th round picks and every team passed on them a bunch of times. Guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk were picked in the 6th round or so as well. So, it's tough to predict, but I would agree, the ultimate success in a draft is determined by the guys drafted late who end up becoming huge steals. I'm hoping Marcus Foligno becomes one of those later round picks who becomes a steal for the Sabres.

Archived