Save "percentage"...

SDS

They were referring to points percentage, not winning percentage. At that time they had collected 50% of the points available to them.

Yeah, i get that, I guess I'm refering to their abuse of the colloquial .500 season meaning equal wins and losses. And the fact that it's still not a percentage. If you read a sports reporter's words on the subject they almost always disclaim it with the "points percentage" or "win-regulation loss" tags.

I don't think so. Winning percentage does not take into account points. At least I don't think it does. In fact, I don't see winning percentage as listed anywhere on the NHL or TSN sites.

You are correct (or should be); it shouldn't be winning percent. While I don't agree with it, if you go 6-0-4, you are on a 10-game "unbeaten" streak, while going 10-0-0 is a 10-game winning streak. As messed up as their language is, winning is still winning; it's losing that can be something else. "Five hundred" in hockey is 50% of possible points earned, which is about 6% below average (this year, they averaged 56%, which I believe is pretty typical.)

As for the OP, fight on brother!

Great thread here.

Per cent literally means per 100, and yet someone can have a .850 slugging percentage and be a great power hitter. It's interesting that football leagues use real percentages for a lot of things (completion percentage, third down conversion percentage, etc.), while hockey, baseball, and basketball use the decimal despite calling it a "percentage".

Also, what's with "PIM"? Isn't "penalty infraction minutes" redundant?

If Runners In Scoring Position is called RISP, shouldn't a Base On Balls be a BOB instead of a BB?

Great thread here.

Per cent literally means per 100, and yet someone can have a .850 slugging percentage and be a great power hitter. It's interesting that football leagues use real percentages for a lot of things (completion percentage, third down conversion percentage, etc.), while hockey, baseball, and basketball use the decimal despite calling it a "percentage".

If Runners In Scoring Position is called RISP, shouldn't a Base On Balls be a BOB instead of a BB?

It's penalties IN minutes.

Great thread here.

Football does the same thing with winning "percentage" that baseball and basketball do. And then there's that whole ratio thing, above. Indeed, I believe that football announcers, coaches, and players collectively are responsible for about half of this country's grammatical woes.

Slugging percentage isn't a percentage in any sense of the word. It's total bases earned per at bat. It ranges from 0-4, so throwing that percentage label on there can really screw with someone's head.

Archived