Cliff Benson also a "senior advisor"?

PASabreFan

This is pretty much going to be the same organization, except they found Christ and the power of Paxil.

It's almost as if some idealistic woman who eats gluten free foods and adopted a child with her life partner Olga, is in charge now. Nice people....some...swell....ideas. I'm just getting that same feeling in my tummy that I do when the Jehova's Witnesses are ringing my doorbell. I want to not avoid them, be cordial, but lose them as quick as I can so I can go back to eating KFC in my boxers.

i guess the predicate here is that you need to have a "hockey guy" installed above your g.m. to serve as a cross-check on boneheaded scouting determinations. i don't think that's the case. setting aside whether darcy and our scouting/personnel department is a top-10 unit in the league, i think it's fine to have your president be a non-hockey guy (in the pure, strict sense). i'm sure there are teams around the league that have "hockey guys" in both the president's spot and the g.m.'s spots, but i don't think it's essential.

and, for what it's worth, you'd be hard-pressed not to get a great vibe off of black. i sure did when i met him for 2-3 minutes before the ottawa game. hockey heaven, baby!

From what I understood, they are planning to hire many more scouts and personnel types over the offseason. That is not something you would normally look to do while potential people you would be looking at would be still under contract during the season...

From what I understood, they are planning to hire many more scouts and personnel types over the offseason. That is not something you would normally look to do while potential people you would be looking at would be still under contract during the season...

Frankly, I'll believe more player development coaches and scouts when I see them.

LOL

As long as you are also willing to accept that he is the guy who drafted Barret Heisten, Artem Kryukov, Jiri Novotny and Daniel Paille too. Negativity aside, I am very looking ofrward to see which Darcy Regier is evident now that the shackles are off.

Not that I'm trying to push this idea on anyone. It's more of a coincidence than anything, but I think it's funny that the first list of players named were mostly all a product of the video scouting era and your bad list was from the previous era.

LOL

As long as you are also willing to accept that he is the guy who drafted Barret Heisten, Artem Kryukov, Jiri Novotny and Daniel Paille too. Negativity aside, I am very looking ofrward to see which Darcy Regier is evident now that the shackles are off.

Back on topic, SabresFan that is a great find. Gives some real insight into Benson's role. Is anyone else thinking that a top flight accounting guy will go a long way towards finding all the money seams and loopholes that might keep this team following the letter of the rules while maybe skirting the spirit of the rules a little bit? Not that there is anything wrong with that when it comes to sports IMO.

Yeah. Ultimately, the Sabres are still a business and they have to file taxes and prepare for audits from a public accounting firm just like every single business in the United States. Hence, it's not a bad idea to have an ex-Tax and Audit guy around to help out with running the finances and accounting.

I'll also throw this out there, too. One of the easiest ways to guarantee that a team can flounder and ensure bankruptcy/ownership change is to not file your taxes properly as a business and to commit some kind of accounting fraud. The Sabres have no history or background in that, no, none at all. It's not like the Rigas family was committing any accounting or tax fraud at the expense of the Buffalo Sabres organization.

This is another clear step in Pegula's direction to show he's a completely different owner than what Sabres fans have seen for the last 15 years. He's bringing in an audit guy to prove he's not a criminal or a crook. He's showing goodwill towards the alumni to show he's a real Sabres fan and changing the culture of the team. And, they plan to hire a lot of scouts and development coaches in the offseason. Benson is just another part of the systematic culture change that we need to get used to.

Not that I'm trying to push this idea on anyone. It's more of a coincidence than anything, but I think it's funny that the first list of players named were mostly all a product of the video scouting era and your bad list was from the previous era.

Too many successes in that first list and too many failures in my list for me to go with "coincidence" as the first word that pops into my grey matter.

Archived