WNY Sports Network

craze

Do they still do the Friday night half hour Sabres show on MSG with Kevin? Personally I like the current setup with MSG and MSG+. Where I live we get all the Sabres games, plus the Islanders or Devils on the +. As an added bonus they show the Rangers games when the Sabres have a night off, or replay it the next day. Toss in CBC and VS and I get to see a game or two almost every single night. Only downside is my cable provider doesn't carry MSGHD yet.

I can tell you that.at least two groups looked into Empire and decided it wasn't a viable venture. A lot of the issues involve the inability to penetrate the Canadian market and the lack of product that has regional appeal.

And at least 1 group looked into Empire and made a legitimate offer that was shot down by the conservator. At the time, he thought that Adelphia would remain viable ( :rolleyes: ) and that over the long term (5+ years, I'd have to look up the particulars on that one) the rights fees to show Empire on Adelphia would exceed the selling price. :doh: Considering the guy was supposed to be looking to get as much money for the creditors as he could and the fact that Adelphia basically went tits up w/in 3 years; there was no legitimate reason to shut it down. :angry:

here in albany there is MSG and MSG B, there is usually the isles on one and if the rangers or the sabres are playing then they televise it on the other. When there is no sabres games, then they usually have classic rangers and or islanders (and on occasion devils) games and or content.

It's MSG and MSG+. The Sabres could be on either channel, given the other events - Knicks, Rangers, Devils, or Islanders are the other potential conflicts. Even if there is such a conflict, the NYC-area team usually gets the HD channel while the Sabres are on the non-HD channel. I've even seen the Rangers moved to TW channel 3 occasionally. I consider us Albany-area Sabres fans lucky...since MSG picked them up, it's pretty much a safe bet that we'll get the game out here one way or another.

maybe for the sabres market we could have an MSG C, where they cover the sabres, with pre game shows, classic games etc. then the contract with msg wouldnt be an issue and we could expand the fanbase...

I don't think it'll fly in Albany. Nice idea, but I don't think this area is a big enough Sabres market for something like that.

the most viable thing would be to get MSG to expand its current sabres coverage meaning that they show classic sabres games in certain areas or extra content like on deadline day. Starting up empire or a similar venture just doesnt seem viable unless there is a huge amount of college sports taking up the air time which is kinda eh.

And at least 1 group looked into Empire and made a legitimate offer that was shot down by the conservator. At the time, he thought that Adelphia would remain viable ( :rolleyes: ) and that over the long term (5+ years, I'd have to look up the particulars on that one) the rights fees to show Empire on Adelphia would exceed the selling price. :doh: Considering the guy was supposed to be looking to get as much money for the creditors as he could and the fact that Adelphia basically went tits up w/in 3 years; there was no legitimate reason to shut it down. :angry:

If I am not mistaking, he was correct with regards to the rights fee, not so much with Adelphia's viability.

The other problem, as I am sure you are aware, involved the tangled mess that were the books. There was so much much bartering for programming that no one was sure how much the network actually made/lost and how much should have been considered team profit/loss.

If nothing else, they could consider some sort of pregame show on one of the local networks. It probably wouldn't take too much effort to convince someone to dump one hour of syndicated programs in the 6-7 block in favor of the increased viewership from a pregame show.

It's MSG and MSG+. The Sabres could be on either channel, given the other events - Knicks, Rangers, Devils, or Islanders are the other potential conflicts. Even if there is such a conflict, the NYC-area team usually gets the HD channel while the Sabres are on the non-HD channel. I've even seen the Rangers moved to TW channel 3 occasionally. I consider us Albany-area Sabres fans lucky...since MSG picked them up, it's pretty much a safe bet that we'll get the game out here one way or another.

I don't think it'll fly in Albany. Nice idea, but I don't think this area is a big enough Sabres market for something like that.

Well, they wouldn't have to just offer it in the capital district only, they could offer it statewide or for the markets closer to NYC they could offer it as an upgrade package...just a thought bottom line is that marketing is key to keeping our revenue shares coming in(second only to our performance in the ice) and the best way to immediately upgrade in that department is to make our coverage on tv up to par with all the other teams. I like all the broadcast guys but compared to how they cover the rangers, devils, islanders etc we look like a minor league broadcast. I am sure ted black will fix that though

If I am not mistaking, he was correct with regards to the rights fee, not so much with Adelphia's viability.

The other problem, as I am sure you are aware, involved the tangled mess that were the books. There was so much much bartering for programming that no one was sure how much the network actually made/lost and how much should have been considered team profit/loss.

He wasn't correct wrt the rights fees as Adelphia never would have paid them (even had they remained in WNY long term, they would have lost a large portion of their customer base to other competitors (as was already happening) due to the ill-will generated during the bankruptcy and would have paid significantly less in rights fees than they were assuming (I just don't see a large demand for the WNY High School Sports Report in Denver)), but the creditors would have gotten more of their money back.

The books being cooked didn't prevent Empire from being sold. As you are aware, in the due diligence process the prospective buyers would have been able to look at the individual pieces and then determine an offer price based on their own calcs.

[quote name='Ghost of Dwight Drane' timestamp='1299550417' post='260126'

PS....is Art Wander still kickin? If I ever get married, I want Jimmy Brinson and Art Wander as Groomsmen.

I think Art would be better as the flower boy.

Archived